It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User
progress with my dropped foot

I have foot drop since December, 2007, and I'm happy to report that I've seen substantial progress in my ability to lift my foot...right now I'm about halfway healed, so there is hope for all of you out there...

Best of health,

Tanya

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 11:03 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya8 For This Useful Post:
dck (01-20-2012), katrae (08-27-2012)
Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 3

Hi Tanya, how's things?

how you progressing? Any big updates? I havent been on here for a while for the simple reason that I havent got much more news to report. I stopped seeing the consultant and the physios about 2 months ago with the onus on me to keep doing the stretching/balancing/strengthening exercises at home. In truth I've been a bit lax with it all so my ankle gets a bit stiff from time to time, my own fault. The foot drop has been eradicated but movement is still pretty limited. Have started back swimming again and am going to return to badminton again soon to see if we can get it all a bit more loose and useful! Would be good to hear from you soon.

To anyone else looking in, I had a tendon transfer on my foot about 6 months ago after severing my sciatic nerve 14 years ago. Happy to answer any questions

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

Hey Gmac, it's so good to hear from you again...sounds like you're really doing great and I'm so happy for you...

Right now I feel as if the decompression surgery has been an incredible success, and I'm so happy. My ankle is able to move inwards, outwards, and downwards fully, and it can move a little more than halfway upwards...and it also feels a lot stronger as well...not bad considering where I was last November. AND...I'm driving now!!!! I have to lift my leg a little when going between the pedals, but I think I also did this before the foot drop??? I can't remember... Anyway, I can drive without the help of my left foot, so I feel as if I've just been released from prison...actually, I would have driven any way I could have...left footed, right footed, both feet, but driving with only my right foot was a lofty goal I had set for myself. I can also walk around without any brace at all for a day, but I have to "think" about my foot too much at this point...hopefully by this time next year, I will be even further along and not using any brace at all...

So that's where I am right now...I've not been so athletic as you have, but hopefully that will come back with time...swimming would be great exercise, but an indoor pool is quite far away, and it's getting cold here now...looks like nice long walks in the woods (or shopping malls) will have to do for now...I know how difficult it is to "come back" from injuries like this, but I was really so fortunate to find my doctor before things became permanent...hope to hear again from you soon, and I'm glad you were able to find my bread crumb trail over here to this new message board...

Best of health to the two of us...

Tanya

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Old 12-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
(female)

Hey GMAC...it's been a while since I've been here, and I'm glad to hear you're doing so well...I'm coming along, as they say, and don't have too much more to report except that I'm only wearing my elastic ankle support about half the time now...I must be getting better, since I'm not tripping all over the place... I still have a squeezing feeling around the ankle, and I don't think that will ever go away. But I don't care, as long as the foot continues to work...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you GMAC...you've been a real pal over the last year and have helped me so much!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya8 View Post
Hey GMAC...it's been a while since I've been here, and I'm glad to hear you're doing so well...I'm coming along, as they say, and don't have too much more to report except that I'm only wearing my elastic ankle support about half the time now...I must be getting better, since I'm not tripping all over the place... I still have a squeezing feeling around the ankle, and I don't think that will ever go away. But I don't care, as long as the foot continues to work...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you GMAC...you've been a real pal over the last year and have helped me so much!
Hey Tanya, thanks for the nice message. You've been a big help, just wish other folk here in Scotland over the past 14 years had given me as much information. Anyway....

Got a bit of an update on my situation. Went to see a podiatrist just for a check-up on my foot and ended up seeing a bio-mechanic. Just as well as she thought my foot might be starting to drop a bit again.

She was surprised that I wasnt getting any physio and has referred me to go and see one as she thinks the lack of exercises (my fault...) could be affecting the leg, especially the tendon which was stretched as part of my operation. She says if it gets worse might need to go back to wearing a splint again or having another op - not sure which scenario would be worse.

So I guess the morale of the story is 1) dont always assume doctors are right and 2) always do your exercises!!

Hope you're keeping well, you seem to be making good progress which is great.

Last edited by gmac1975; 01-11-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac1975 View Post
Hey Tanya, thanks for the nice message. You've been a big help, just wish other folk here in Scotland over the past 14 years had given me as much information. Anyway....

Got a bit of an update on my situation. Went to see a podiatrist just for a check-up on my foot and ended up seeing a bio-mechanic. Just as well as she thought my foot might be starting to drop a bit again.

She was surprised that I wasnt getting any physio and has referred me to go and see one as she thinks the lack of exercises (my fault...) could be affecting the leg, especially the tendon which was stretched as part of my operation. She says if it gets worse might need to go back to wearing a splint again or having another op - not sure which scenario would be worse.

So I guess the morale of the story is 1) dont always assume doctors are right and 2) always do your exercises!!

Hope you're keeping well, you seem to be making good progress which is great.

Hi GMAC...

Thanks for your kind words about my helping you...actually I think we're all helping each other in this foot drop situation...it's real pain to treat and to live with... After reading your message, I'm surprised that your podiatrist and bio-mechanic (what is that GMAC...don't think we have those in the US) were the first ones to notice that your foot might be dropping a little. How do you feel when you're walking around? It sounds as if you were doing quite well, and I think that's the most important thing...

From my experience here, the orthopedists, neurosurgeons, and even the physiotherapists concentrate on the ultimate functioning of the foot and how you can walk, even though the therapists do take measurements from time to time. For example, even though my affected foot cannot dorsiflex as much as my normal foot, it can dorsiflex enough to clear the ground when I walk. I've stopped wearing a foot brace and am still able to walk OK ...and I'm really surprised . It was pointed out to me by my various doctors that when we walk, we don't fully keep our foot at a 90 degree angle, and that's why I can go without the brace. I have about an inch to go for my semi-dropped foot to be equal to the other foot. I'm thrilled about all of this, and the reason I'm telling you about this is because perhaps this is where you are too.

In any event, doing exercise can only help your situation, and perhaps where you are now is the final outcome of your surgery and where you're supposed to be. I really think it's premature to start talking about braces and more surgery at this point...I do exercises too, but I must admit that I could better job in this department ...Please let me know how you're doing and what your doctors have to say...and take care!

Tanya

Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya8 View Post
Hi GMAC...

Thanks for your kind words about my helping you...actually I think we're all helping each other in this foot drop situation...it's real pain to treat and to live with... After reading your message, I'm surprised that your podiatrist and bio-mechanic (what is that GMAC...don't think we have those in the US) were the first ones to notice that your foot might be dropping a little. How do you feel when you're walking around? It sounds as if you were doing quite well, and I think that's the most important thing...

From my experience here, the orthopedists, neurosurgeons, and even the physiotherapists concentrate on the ultimate functioning of the foot and how you can walk, even though the therapists do take measurements from time to time. For example, even though my affected foot cannot dorsiflex as much as my normal foot, it can dorsiflex enough to clear the ground when I walk. I've stopped wearing a foot brace and am still able to walk OK ...and I'm really surprised . It was pointed out to me by my various doctors that when we walk, we don't fully keep our foot at a 90 degree angle, and that's why I can go without the brace. I have about an inch to go for my semi-dropped foot to be equal to the other foot. I'm thrilled about all of this, and the reason I'm telling you about this is because perhaps this is where you are too.

In any event, doing exercise can only help your situation, and perhaps where you are now is the final outcome of your surgery and where you're supposed to be. I really think it's premature to start talking about braces and more surgery at this point...I do exercises too, but I must admit that I could better job in this department ...Please let me know how you're doing and what your doctors have to say...and take care!

Tanya
Hi Tanya

Thanks for replying. I again have to question the role of my surgeon in all this. He undoubtedly did a great job but I still question why he delayed me getting physio and why he elected to stop it after just 6 weeks. I remember he made some sort of patronising comment like 'Will we let you get on with your life?' which meant to me that everything was fine and I could proceed as normal. The physio, I think also surprised that my treatment was stopping, gave me a set of exercises to continue at home. Given the consultant's comments, I thought the exercises were to see if I could get even more dorsiflexion or improve the overall picture. At no point did anyone say that if I didnt do them the situation would worsen.

I put my hands up and say I got lazy and didnt do the exercises as often as I should have. My son was born in August and so life got a bit mental. Finding 5 mins to do anything was a struggle! I started to notice my foot getting a bit stiff and a couple of times I stubbed my toe which I hadnt done for ages. So I knew something wasn quite right.

My appointment with the podiatrist (that I arranged off my own back) was primarily to take care of the hard skin that had traditionally formed on the sole of my foot because of the AFO. By a very fortunate coincidence I saw this biomechanic (something that was, like you, completely new to me) who looked at the overall picture and cross-referred me to see a physio. As it's on the NHS and not private it will take up to 6 weeks for an appointment. The surgeon and the physio from the private hospital felt I didnt need to see them for a follow-up say 6 months down the line which, in hindsight, is pretty shocking.

I've gone back to doing my exercises every day which seems to help and hopefully seeing the physio, whenever I get an appointment, can only help too.

Sorry for the moan. The good news is you seem to be making excellent progress and long may that continue.

Graeme

Last edited by gmac1975; 01-17-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac1975 View Post
Hi Tanya

Thanks for replying. I again have to question the role of my surgeon in all this. He undoubtedly did a great job but I still question why he delayed me getting physio and why he elected to stop it after just 6 weeks. I remember he made some sort of patronising comment like 'Will we let you get on with your life?' which meant to me that everything was fine and I could proceed as normal. The physio, I think also surprised that my treatment was stopping, gave me a set of exercises to continue at home. Given the consultant's comments, I thought the exercises were to see if I could get even more dorsiflexion or improve the overall picture. At no point did anyone say that if I didnt do them the situation would worsen.

I put my hands up and say I got lazy and didnt do the exercises as often as I should have. My son was born in August and so life got a bit mental. Finding 5 mins to do anything was a struggle! I started to notice my foot getting a bit stiff and a couple of times I stubbed my toe which I hadnt done for ages. So I knew something wasn quite right.

My appointment with the podiatrist (that I arranged off my own back) was primarily to take care of the hard skin that had traditionally formed on the sole of my foot because of the AFO. By a very fortunate coincidence I saw this biomechanic (something that was, like you, completely new to me) who looked at the overall picture and cross-referred me to see a physio. As it's on the NHS and not private it will take up to 6 weeks for an appointment. The surgeon and the physio from the private hospital felt I didnt need to see them for a follow-up say 6 months down the line which, in hindsight, is pretty shocking.

I've gone back to doing my exercises every day which seems to help and hopefully seeing the physio, whenever I get an appointment, can only help too.

Sorry for the moan. The good news is you seem to be making excellent progress and long may that continue.

Graeme
Hi GMAC...

Thanks for filling me in about the rest of your situation. I didn't realize that you were noticing any changes with your walking, and that is something to be concerned about. As for your surgeon, I think that surgeons in general must all go to the same "charm" school no matter what country they reside in. I've found them to be not the easiest people to communicate with and quite inscrutable, although they do a great job and are quite brilliant. Even though you don't see your surgeon for quite a while, is there any way you could talk to him on the telephone or email him and ask questions about your foot or why he stopped physio after only 6 weeks. Actually, he would be the person I would most want to talk to if I were you. Over here if there are any questions or changes after a surgery, it's back to the surgeon right away before any other doctors will even look at you...in any event, I hope this is just a little bump on your road to recovery. The good news is that the exercises are helping you.

As for my own situation, yes, I am very happy that I've come this far...but I do have sensory issues that I don't think will go away...it's kind of strange to always feel as if Arnold Schwarzenegger is grabbing your ankle, but it is what it is, and I'm thrilled to have come this far. I'm also very lax where my exercises are concerned, but I think everybody gets into this rut as long as they don't have scheduled PT appointments with someone looking over their back watching them do exercises... BTW, congratulations on the birth of your son...how wonderful! Keep your chin up , and let me know how you're doing...

Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 01-25-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Hey Tanya

Hows things? I took your advice, made an appointment to see the surgeon and saw him this afternoon. He didnt give me too much of an examination but had a quick look at my foot and agreed that it had dropped a bit. He didnt seem to have any explanation for this or any real solutions either. He muttered something about an ankle fusion or going back to wearing an AFO but then backtracked when he saw the look of horror on my face!

His solution, then, was to go and see him again in 3 months which seems a total cop out to me. Plus he has suggested I see the physio again so I have appointments to see her, although I'm not convinced it will make much difference.

In some ways I'm relieved that what I thought was happening, is happening and that it isnt my fault. As things stand my foot feels quite heavy (I've taken to sitting with my legs crossed to take the weight off it) and I maybe stub my toe once a day or so. I can live with both these things. If it gets worse I guess I'll have to consider other options but the surgeon couldnt tell me if it would get worse or not.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
(female)

Hi GMAC...

drat is what I have to say for what you're going through right now...but in the end, I guess a wait and see approach is the best one to take. You never know what is going to happen, and perhaps this is where your foot will stay now for good. Also, never, ever, did I believe that any of this was your fault for not doing all the exercises...no one would ever heal if healing depended on patients doing everything their doctors said they should do...this is really true, and I'm a great example of it...on that note, my ankle was becoming kind of stiff, so I'm doing the exercises a little more frequently now, and they help---thanks for the reminder...

By this time, you know me Graeme, always full of bright ideas, so be patient with me...perhaps your foot could use a little help like mine sometimes needs. I'm talking about the elastic around the ankle brace with the plastic piece that fits in the shoe laces...I don't even like referring to it as a brace, because all it is is a little assist that does an awful lot. It's very comfortable, you don't see it with pants on, and you wear your regular shoes (without stretching them out beyond recognition.) Anyway, this might be all you ever need, and it certainly beats other more drastic measures like surgery and horrible AFOs. In case your interested, it's called the Foot-UP brace by Ossur, it won't break the bank book, and you can order it online... just order it big enough...also, you can drive with it without taking it off...

As for the physio, I think that's a good idea, and even though your doctor's advice seems like a cop out, it's probably the best advice for now. By May you'll know more, but just waiting can be the most difficult and frustrating part of healing--believe me, I hate all the waiting too... by the way, sitting with your legs crossed is not a good idea, as far as I know, especially if you're crossing your foot drop leg. The peroneal nerve lies along the area that you're putting pressure on when you cross your leg, and I was told not to do this...

Please continue to let me know how you're doing, and take care---Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 01-31-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Hey Tanya

Thanks again for replying, you've been a real rock. I guess I was naiive to think that once the op was done and I'd finished seeing the surgeon, physios etc that that would be it. Not for one moment did I envisage having further problems down the line. After my initial shock (as you could probably tell in my last message ) I'm not too despondent now. I have physio on Tuesday and that can only be a good thing. Hopefully she will also be able to tell me how she thinks my leg is doing. And I'll need to ask her about not crossing my legs - I had no idea!

Also, my apologies. I was so caught up in my own situation last time I wrote I didnt ask how you were getting on (sorry...). Do you still feel positive overall? Are you happy with the improvements so far? Is there much further for you to go?

Finally, I just want to say how much your support has meant to me. Given we dont know anything about each others lives apart from our common problem, the compassion and care you have shown is really out of this world. I have people here I can talk to but none of them are going thru what I am. So to have the backing and advice from someone who is in the same boat means so much.

Graeme

Last edited by gmac1975; 02-01-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
(female)

Hi GMAC

I'm so glad that our exchanges have been comforting to you, and it's really nice of you to say so as well---If if remember correctly, it was about this time last year when I was really feeling pretty low. You know how it is--no one to really talk to that would understand this unique problem and no end of inscrutable doctors who mean well, but are not much use in the nuts and bolts of living with drop foot. And then I started posting on this website, and you were the only one who gave me any hope at all that I would drive again--this was something that was driving me crazy and you were the only ray of sunshine during a pretty bleak period, so thank you for your compassion as well!

As for how I'm coming along, well all I can say is that it's a very slow process. I can drive now and I can walk without a brace, and I guess many people (my doctors included, I think) conclude that I'm totally back to normal...but that's not really true. While I am overjoyed and grateful to have come this far, I do think that there is room for more improvement. I can dorsiflex my foot at the ankle, but not as much as my so-called "normal" foot. I see my doctor next fall, and he said that recovery would take until then or perhaps even longer In the meantime, I'm supposed to do my exercises and continue to gain strength in the foot and leg. Maybe I'll finally be healed by the time I collect Social Security.... I'm very happy with my progress so far, and positive as well, but it would be great to have even more healing too.

How's your winter "across the pond." It's been miserable here, and I have to be careful not to slip slide away all over the place--can't wait until spring. How's is going in physio, and do you feel that it's helping? Please let me know how you're doing, and take care.

Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 02-08-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Hola!

Glad to hear you are coming along nicely. Do you notice the lesser dorsiflexion much? Is it restricting your walking? Slightly alarming that your docs think you are "back to normal" when you dont feel that way. I genuinely think that all medical professionals, no matter how well intentioned, can never know what its like to be a patient and feel what we feel, both physically and mentally. I remember seeing my orthotist for years and him talking about AFOs and walking properly etc and I thought, well, you haven't got drop foot - how can you truly know? But maybe thats a bit mean on my part.

Anyway, another wee update for you. Bit of a weird one. Saw the physio last week and she noticed that I had a swelling at the back of my foot (which the surgeon never noticed, the week before.....). She said it was something called bursitis, which is apparently a swelling similar to tendonitis. She also felt that the tendon that had been transferred had gone back to trying to perform its old duties, perhaps because of the bursitis i.e when my brain tried to tell it to dorsiflex it was actually pushing down!! It sounds very weird and all a bit sci-fi but she seems to think if they treat the bursitis and then retrain the tendon we may be able to get a bit more movement out of it.

Back tomorrow to see her so will let you know what the word is.

Take care
Graeme

Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
(female)

Hi Graeme---

Thanks for letting me moan and groan about things a bit---I think that doctors tend to look at things a bit differently than we do. My doctors see where I'm coming from and they see tremendous progress...and there is tremendous progress. But I remember completely normal, and I'm not there yet. There are sensory issues of pressure and pulling, which I may always have to deal with. Most times I can ignore them, but sometimes they're really annoying. When this whole thing started last year, I needed a brace to walk and my foot was so weak it couldn't dorsiflex at all. Now I can walk without a brace without tripping, and the more I walk, the better my foot feels--it seems that I have enough dorsiflexion to walk without a problem. Although walking is OK, I notice the issue of less dorsiflexion when I'm driving and going back and forth between the pedals. I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. and it's not an automatic function as it used to be. I'm finding it hard to explain this and it feels as if my foot is stupid and needs to be reminded of what to do or retrained on a very elementary level. Actually, I think your word "weird" describes things perfectly--

As for what you're experiencing, now that's really weird!!! From what your physio has observed it seems that when your tendon gets its act together, there's a good chance that you'll be walking just fine again. In some strange way I understand what your talking about, sci-fi or not...you tell the foot to do one thing and you think that it's doing it, but it's not. I actually practice doing certain movements now while looking at my foot so I can be sure it's doing the right thing. Oh boy, this is quite a dialogue. As for your bursitis, this can't be helping your situation any. Perhaps when the bursitis is under control again, the tendon will start to perform properly in its new function. I had bursitis of the shoulder once, and it was quite painful . Do you feel any discomfort or pain from this area now? Gee, I hope not...
Please take care and let me know what your physio has to say about things and about how you're doing.

Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 02-17-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
(female)

bentleysikes HB User

Someone please give me advice!!! After living with foot drop for about five years now, I am finally at my wits end. I had pelvic cancer, (sarcoma), back in '05 and the doc had to sever two of my nerves, (I'm guessing main one was poroneal), to remove it and left me with right foot drop and hip weakness. To make a long story short, after TONS of research and doctor's appointments I FINALLY got a referral to a Neuro-Surgeon at Johns Hopkins. Needless to say, they just called me an hour ago after reviewing my records and told me that 5 years is WAY too late for them to be able to help me. They did, however, suggest a tendon transfer. Could anyone please enlighten me as to what all is involved in this procedure that may have had a similar condition to my own? I'm weary, and sometimes think I'm either about to throw in the towel...or on the other end of the spectrum I almost want to tell everyone to go to H*** and I'll find my own way to get better, (which is actually an impossibility I know). I miss wearing flip flops and not being able to dance with my husband. I can push down a little bit, but cannot lift up at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by bentleysikes; 03-10-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Closed Thread