It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

Evannah HB User
I fear it may be serious

My doctor told me I'd probably got a trapped nerve in my neck that was causing my hands and arms to go numb. But I think it's more serious than that because now, it's happening in my legs too.

For a couple of weeks, I've been having tremors in my hands and I haven't been able to use them very well. It's hard to stretch them out. When I curl my right hand up it sometimes sticks. Yesterday, I tried to move one of my fingers in my right hand and found that I couldn't. It just wouldn't move, no matter how hard I tried to get it to. I had my finger against the palm of my hand and had to use my other hand to move it again. It was worrying. Before this happened, I was getting awful electric shock pains travelling down that arm.

Now my legs are going weird, too. They seem stiff and sluggish and I keep tripping over my right foot. It drags on the floor because I think I've lifted it up and I haven't. I've nearly fallen flat on my face about five times because of this. It's as if my legs just don't have the energy anymore. I also get these electric shock sensations in my ankles, especially my right ankle.

I'd go to the doctor about it but I don't want to yet. My mother is due to have a major operation at the start of October and the last thing she needs is someone else having medical problems. Granted, I WILL go to the doctor when she's better, but for now I'll just post here and see what you have to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

dandelion3 HB User
Re: I fear it may be serious

Go see a neurologist ASAP! Chances are you won't even get an appointment until October. If you are lucky enough to get in sooner....all the better. There are amazing drugs to help alleviate the symptoms you have. You could be losing valuable time and be worse off if you wait too long. That won't be beneficial to you or your mother. Best of luck!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

Evannah HB User

What do you mean when I say I could be losing valuable time? That sounds pretty serious. I still feel as if I'll be making more trouble for my mum and my family (mum's going to have a hysterectomy, brother has just been diagnosed with depression) by going to the doctor about this. I just don't want to add to the problems.

Last edited by Evannah; 09-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
(female)

dandelion3 HB User

Oh...I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to alarm you. What I meant by valuable time is that you could be feeling better sooner by getting in to see a doctor. I would hate to see any one continue feeling uncomfortable if he or she could have sought treatment sooner. Also, remember that you need to take care of yourself and keep your health good in order to help take care of others. Please remember that and let us know how you are doing.

P.S. I notice you are from the UK. My daughter just left (the US) on Saturday to study abroad for this semester. She's already loving it! Take Care.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
(female)

Wymom94 HB User

Hi Evannah, I'm no expert, but I can confidently say that the problems in your legs could be due to same or additional neck issues that are causing problems in your arms -or you might have problems similar to your neck, in your back. Whichever, though, I'd get in to see your primary doc right away and ask for a referral to a neurologist and a cervical MRI. If the cervical one doesn't explain the legs, then a lumbar one might. I understand completely what it's like to have issues going on with your body when there are major family health issues happening at the same time. Your problems could be something that needs attention right away, despite the terrible timing, so I would definitely get in as soon as you can. Serious doesn't have to go hand-in-hand with 'scary', but I think it's always best to get something that may be serious taken care of promptly. I'm very sorry about the timing b/c I know that is a real problem to work with and I wish your mother the best, as well as you.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'd try a chiropractor first.....it may be a pinched nerve that can be fixed easily .

Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evannah View Post
My doctor told me I'd probably got a trapped nerve in my neck that was causing my hands and arms to go numb. But I think it's more serious than that because now, it's happening in my legs too.

For a couple of weeks, I've been having tremors in my hands and I haven't been able to use them very well. It's hard to stretch them out. When I curl my right hand up it sometimes sticks. Yesterday, I tried to move one of my fingers in my right hand and found that I couldn't. It just wouldn't move, no matter how hard I tried to get it to. I had my finger against the palm of my hand and had to use my other hand to move it again. It was worrying. Before this happened, I was getting awful electric shock pains travelling down that arm.

Now my legs are going weird, too. They seem stiff and sluggish and I keep tripping over my right foot. It drags on the floor because I think I've lifted it up and I haven't. I've nearly fallen flat on my face about five times because of this. It's as if my legs just don't have the energy anymore. I also get these electric shock sensations in my ankles, especially my right ankle.

I'd go to the doctor about it but I don't want to yet. My mother is due to have a major operation at the start of October and the last thing she needs is someone else having medical problems. Granted, I WILL go to the doctor when she's better, but for now I'll just post here and see what you have to say.
Hi There

When you do get to the doctos & I realize your mum is going in for surgery but you need to make sure you are well too or that wont help either of you do you know what I mean......I understand you dont want to worry your mum.

Any way I would suggest that you have your B12 levels checked using the following tests B12 serum......Homocysteine & uMMA the last 2 are improtant becuase if you are in the normal low levels these will be elevated if you have a defieciency in the cells........

With the numbness & tingling and those shooting electrical pains it well could be and it is easy to treat.........When you bend your head forward as in chin to chest do you get those pains in your arms legs or spine?.........Do you have any other symptoms as well such as dizziness, brain fog, anxiety weakness you have I beleive , diarrhea/costipation, pallpitations fatigue...

I thought I had MS, cancer, was told probably a nerve because I was having problems with my neck and arm, stress, anxiety, you name it it took 5 years for them to pick up my B12 it was always low 5 years ago it was 372 and slide every year until it got to 130 and needless to say I was very ill by then so please get it checked

Keep in touch hope all goes well for your mum

Cheers

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
(female)

beachlovr HB User

I also recommend that you see a GOOD chiropractor. If it is a pinched nerve, it could be fixed with a simple adjustment. That was all I needed to get my neuropathy to go away.

Closed Thread