It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
(male)

mike s HB User
Alcoholic Neuropathy

I've just been diagnosed with alcoholic neuropathy. Several areas of my body are numb. I've been sober for one month . Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do that can possibly ease these symptoms ? I've heard that some vitamins might be beneficial. I appreciate any input.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
(male)

thylantyr HB User
Re: Alcoholic Neuropathy

Multivitamin + B50 Complex [or B100 Complex] + Benfotiamine [special B1 vitamin].

The last item might be easier to find if purchased online.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
I've just been diagnosed with alcoholic neuropathy. Several areas of my body are numb. I've been sober for one month . Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do that can possibly ease these symptoms ? I've heard that some vitamins might be beneficial. I appreciate any input.
Hi Mike, alcohol is a neurotoxin so it is very important to continue to keep away from it, lots of alcohol over time can deplete B1 levels, but i guess your doctor has done blood tests to check your thiamine levels given the diagnoses, but anyway nerves need all the vitamin B vitamins & all of them need each other to work properly, i would suggest taking a multi B every day, 1mg B12 methylcobalamin [ on a empty stomache for max absorbtion ] and B1 [100mg x 3 times daily or the strong version of B1 called benfortiamine which is cheaper than it used to be & a good healthy diet can help support the nerves as well, there isn't any quick fix that i am aware of, it all takes time but peripheral nerves have the ability to regenerate once they are in the right enviroment, it normally takes a long time for nerve's to be damaged so it can take some time before they can recover.
best of luck anyway
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 09-13-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
(male)

woondog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post

Old 09-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

Tight Socks HB User

Hi there, I have had p. neuropathy for 7 years now and at that time I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes involving posprandial high blood sugar nmbers. This month I was prescibed Junuvia, which has brought my postprandial numbers to the low 100's from the 200's at the 2 1/2 hour time span. I also was a drinker: a binge type which was a leftover from my years at the UW (WA), but which have pretty much have been reduced to less than 10% of my olden days (I'm 61). I still suffer from the pain but have only been on the Junuvia for only less than one month.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
(male)

woondog HB User

Sorry to tell you this but I think you are kidding yourself. You have to stop drinking
completely. I've had it for 25 years and before I went onto heavy duty opiates,
I have had tremendous pain that would last for 2 or 3 days, a jolt every 20 seconds.
You are new so it would take some time for you to get this terrible pain. Trust me,
it would ruin your life. Keep you diabetes controlled, don't eat tomatoes, tomato
sauce, seasoned chips, nuts, etc., too much cheese and only drink diet soda
sweetened by splendor. Now is the time to get straightened out. By the way,
I am 70 and my life begun again when my doctor finally acceded to prescribing
nortryptylene and dilaudid after years of incessant pain.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

redtruck53 HB User

Diagnosed 2 yrs. ago. Quit drinking cold turkey had drank for 30 yrs. Following: Ending diagnosis. Peripheral & Autonomic neuropathy,(feet, legs and heart) Orthostatic hypotension, Cerebellum damage, memory problems, ataxia, and various skin rashes. Have taken numerous prescription medicines. Most and foremost is to stop drinking before it gets worse have seen small improvement damage is permanent.

Closed Thread