It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User
Unhappy Nerve Pain From Teeth Extractions

Hi, my name is Kim, and I am in 24/7 chronic pain.
I had all of my teeth extracted last summer (2007) and I got nerve damage from it.
My Oral surgeon took a full x-ray of my mouth, (this was a couple of months after I had my teeth extracted) and he found nothing wrong.
I have been going to my primary doctor, and she had me try alot of things to help with the pain, "neurontin,magic mouth wash,Amitrtilyne,clove oil, etc....
and none of those even helped with my pain, the clove oil and the over the counter topical liquid/gel creams, make my nerve pain much worse. Even cold air hurts my gums.
So my doctor has me on Vicodin, and an anti-depressant, "Citalopram" generic form of Celexa.
My Doctor had me see a ENT (Ear,Nose,Throat) Doctor and he said that he wants me to go to the United Pain Center.
I had to fill out alot of paperwork, and have my Medical records from my primary doctor and the oral surgeon sent over to the pain center.
The earliest that I can get in is not until November 7th.
They did say that they put me on a cancelation list, but ofcourse they haven't called.
I can't stand being in pain 24/7, the vicodin only takes away some of the pain, not all of the pain.
This is what my pain feels like: Pink yourself, and keep pinching and don't stop, that's how my pain is 24/7, not even vicodin or the anti-depressant takes away my pain.
So that's why I'm seeing a nerve block doctor at the pain center, so I'm hoping that he can do a nerve block to end my pain, so than i can get off of the drugs.
It's really depressing because 6 years ago, I had my gallbladder removed, and from that surgery, I got nerve damage in my upper abdomen, I was in 24/7 pain for 2 years.
But Thank God that the pain went away after 2 years.
So you can see that any kind of surgery that I have I end up with nerve damage.
I told my husband that if I needed to have surgery again, I would refuse, because I would be scared that I would wake up again from surgery, with severe pain.
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Nerve Pain From Teeth Extractions

i too suffered with just having a simple drill and fill done on one tooth that actually affected my lower right side when that tooth was actually on the top. i also have sympathetic nervous system damage that has also affected that area of my face,so i keep developing really off the wall pain syndromes for no real reason? just becasue of that SNS dmage when 'something' affects a nerve in my mouth,it can get really really ugly in there.

i ended up,from that little drill and fill,with a horrid spontaneously firing pain syndrome from hell,real hell. it randomly fired at all times day and night. i was finally sent to an endodontist who gave me the best of all possible suggestions for this and it worked. amazing when the pain was soo incredibe and just plain bizarre. while i know you do not actually have your teeth,i am assuming that you do have dentures? this is what my endo told me to do. buy some sensodyne toothpaste and brush as usual,but instead of spitting out the toothpaste foam,leave it in and swish it around(you could remove your dentures for this for better coverage)for at least one minute and then after spitting,do not drink anything for at least an hour after(they,the makers of sensodyne, DO NOT actually tell you on the label even how to actually use their product). honestly i did have my doubts about this even actually working,but to my sheer amazement and joy,it eventually did. the spontaneous hell finally stopped as well as the hot/cold senstivity too. just shocked the heck out of me considering how excruciating that pain was.

i am thinking that as long as you have the ability to create that foam somehow(if you do not have dentures?) and try this for about a month or so(thats about how long this took for me doing it twice a day)it could also maybe work for you too? honestly,the pain i was having was sooo completely over the top insane,i never thought anything could possibly help this. it was just sick sick pain from hell. this was by far the best advice and 74.00 endodontist visit ever. just finding out how to actually obtain the real best benefits from sensodyne. i don't know why in the heck they don't put it on their label. i had been using the biotene desensitizing toothpaste but it wasn;t helping at all and it did not foam well either. this really did work for me amazingly well. it has been a few months since this occured and i am still using the sensodyne and have not had one episode since this went away months ago. i am hoping that trying this for a few weeks just may help you too? it would be worth a shot considering you are kid of at a standstill with anything really working for you. i really would give it a try at this point kim.

you just never know what is going to work for this nasty type of pain til you at least give it a shot. i had really serious doubts that a simple swish of toothpaste was going to even begin to touch what i had going on in my moutrh,but it did. maybe it will help. i see you are a fellow minnesotan too. i am willing to bet that the frozen tundra up here also creates pain during one of our types of winters? i know my tooth pain went thru the roof when this happened too. geez it was sick. i think just trying this,well you never know kim. please keep me posted on how things are going and if you give this a shot. i do hope it at least helps some anyways. just lowering intensities is better than nothing at all,ya know? good luck,Marcia

Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

Hi thanks for writing back.
I don't have dentures, the pain is sooooo bad even when I touch my top and bottom gums, that I couldn't even think of having dentures placed in my mouth.
Yeah I am from Minnesota, and Yeah the winters here do affect my nerve pain. :-(
I cry just about every night because nothing takes away all of the pain, not even vicodin, so thats how bad my nerve pain really is.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will buy some sensodyne toothpaste just to see if that gives me some sort of relief.
I brush my tounge and gums with colgate toothpaste, but the sensodyne I will use from now on if that will help, at this point I am REALLY DESPERATE I will try anything.
Thanks Again, and I will let you know if sensodyne works.
Kim

Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
(male)

PublicWifi HB User

Has there been any improvement? I'll be praying for you, friend.

Last edited by PublicWifi; 01-16-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Closed Thread