It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

Icon761 HB User
Peripheral Neuropathy- Feet

I have a very bad case of peripheral neuropathy in my feet.
I can not stand, but I can walk with a cane.

I was told by a neurologist there is absolutely nothing that can be done.
If I am in pain, he could give my anti-convalescents and that might help.

If anyone knows of some acute treatment for PN of the feel, please let
me know?

Thank you very much....

Icon761

Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Peripheral Neuropathy- Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon761 View Post
I have a very bad case of peripheral neuropathy in my feet.
I can not stand, but I can walk with a cane.

I was told by a neurologist there is absolutely nothing that can be done.
If I am in pain, he could give my anti-convalescents and that might help.

If anyone knows of some acute treatment for PN of the feel, please let
me know?

Thank you very much....

Icon761
What tests has your neuro done to try to find the cause of your nerve problems ?

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
(male)

Icon761 HB User

Electro conductive tests butting needles in the feet.
That is it....

Thank you for answering.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Some neuro's are really hopeless, I would be asking for blood tests to detect diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, liver or kidney dysfunction, other metabolic disorders, and signs of abnormal immune system activity.
An examination of cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord can reveal abnormal antibodies associated with neuropathy. More specialized tests may reveal other blood or cardiovascular diseases, connective tissue disorders, or malignancies, even some drugs can cause neuropathy & cholestrol lowering drugs [ statins ] are well known to cause trouble, if your neuro hasn't even checked out any of the most common causes of nerve damage, i would find a neuro that specializes in neuropathy.

best of luck to you

Aussie

Old 10-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
(male)

Icon761 HB User

I do have diabetes, and that maybe the root cause.

Thank you for your post.

Icon761

Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Diabetes is a very common cause of nerve damage, i know some Diabetic 2 people that are slowly healing their neuropathy now they have their blood sugars under good control.
Not sure if you are diabetic 1 or 2, but anyway my PN was caused by prediabetes & i was low in b12, which i have cured myself over a five period [ nerves heal slowly ] if your interested i can sugest some supplements that may assist in the healing process.

Aussie

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
(male)

woondog HB User

Try pain killers: nortryptilene, and dilaudio. This combination has been a life saver
to me and the best pain medication I have had since I got neuropathy about
25 years ago. When I first got it, I thought I'd drown out the pain with wine but
as I found out much later, that I was actually causing more PN by booze.

The Following User Says Thank You to woondog For This Useful Post:
wilmadog (08-19-2012)
Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
(male)

Icon761 HB User

I am diabetic type two, and have been for four years.

Any supplements you know of would be great.....Please tell me what
might work.

Have a good weekend.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

If it is caused by elavated blood sugars then the main thng is to them down as close to normal as possible, they won't heal if the blood sugars continue to be high, the diabetic neuropathy patients i spoke of are keeping their 3 monthly A1c tests below 6.0.

The supplements can only assist if the nerves are in the right enviroment.

Vitamin B complex taken in the morning.
Vitamin B12 [methylcobalamin] 1- 5 mg daily taken on an empty stomache, as it's a large molocure and best taken separate to other vitamins for max absorbtion [ B12 needs the other vit B's to work the best ]
100mg R-Lipioc Acid, 480 mg Gamma Linolenic Acid,
The combination of these two have shown improvement in clinical trials for diabetic polyneuropathy patients, just be aware that if your taken anti diabetic meds that the Lipioc acid can reduce sugars levels so must keep an eye on your sugar levels from becoming to low, but may not even affect them but wise to make sure.
Vitamin C- 1- 2 mg's daily, just lower the dose if Diarrhea happens.
Vitamin E - 400 iu daily.
Acetyl l-carnitine - Studies have shown that supplements combining acetyl l-carnitine and lipoic acid appear to reverse the damage done to certain cellular structures, known as mitochondria, by the aging process. Mitochondria exist in all of the cells of the body.
If you have burning, then vitamin B1 [ 100 mg x 3 times daily ] or the really strong b1 called benfotiame may be helpfull.
Coenzyme Q-10 - 50 mg, 2/day. helps muscle & nerve function. it also helps to compensate for depletion caused by dangerous drugs such as statins, like Lipitor and Crestor, which has been known to cause neuropathy and organ damage in some people.
Fish oil 2 mg daily, it is a blood thinner so be carefull if using prescription blood thinners.
You might notice there are some very strong antioxidents mentioned, fish oil, vit C, vit E but these are great to clear up free radicals floating around in our system & i am of the opinion that as we age we don't digest & absorb nutrients as efficiently as in our younger days.

I hope this helps & i agree with woondog, in that some pain killers can be helpfull.

best of luck to you
Aussie

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
(male)

Icon761 HB User

Thank you very much for your long and interesting E-mail.
It was good of you take the time to write it.

Icon761

Closed Thread