It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
(male)

StarWars1985 HB User
Will I ever recover? Nerve problems from drinking. Under extreme stress.

I'm 23 years old and recently quit drinking for good. i went two solid years of drinking hard 3-5 days a week, sometimes on 7,8,9 day benders. all heavy alcohol types. I had a bout of shingles 15 months ago followed by brief PHN that went away. Than a few months later I started having extreme pain in my head. Stabbing, burning, zapping, itchy feeling in my scalp followed by tension type headaches. I have had that to date. Doctor's say it's ocipital neuralgia. Drinking helped take away my pain and I am currently going through some hellish symptoms I deem from giving up drinking. My questions are;

Is there a link between herpes zoster and than geting occipital neuralgia?

Is the occipital neuralgia permanent? from drinking damage? everyone tells me my nerves are shot and will never recover. I need lyrica...nerve blocks etc. but i dont wana live my life on anymore pills. Plus I also have an inner ear disorder, so i have vertigo. I just want to recover...any suggestions? I heard taking vitamin b can help heal nerves.

thanks and god bless.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User
Re: Will I ever recover? Nerve problems from drinking. Under extreme stress.

Hello Starwars, I commend you greatly for stopping the alcohol. That is one great accomplishment that not too many people can do. As far as your other conditions go, I would think that is def. a question for your doctor and getting help with a therapist will help you tremendously. I don't believe there are any doctors on this site but other sites do for a small fee and good answers come. We all can help with your feelings, and we care but medically speaking for your condition, you probably need to be with a professional. Please don't give up on your accomplishments. I am proud of you. Good luck and write again. We are hear to listen.

Last edited by kilgore52; 10-25-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
(male)

JoeGallsr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWars1985 View Post
I'm 23 years old and recently quit drinking for good. i went two solid years of drinking hard 3-5 days a week, sometimes on 7,8,9 day benders. all heavy alcohol types. I had a bout of shingles 15 months ago followed by brief PHN that went away. Than a few months later I started having extreme pain in my head. Stabbing, burning, zapping, itchy feeling in my scalp followed by tension type headaches. I have had that to date. Doctor's say it's ocipital neuralgia. Drinking helped take away my pain and I am currently going through some hellish symptoms I deem from giving up drinking. My questions are;

Is there a link between herpes zoster and than geting occipital neuralgia?

Is the occipital neuralgia permanent? from drinking damage? everyone tells me my nerves are shot and will never recover. I need lyrica...nerve blocks etc. but i dont wana live my life on anymore pills. Plus I also have an inner ear disorder, so i have vertigo. I just want to recover...any suggestions? I heard taking vitamin b can help heal nerves.

thanks and god bless.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
(male)

JoeGallsr HB User

Tough but you got to quit drinking ,I have the same and drink on and off .. I'm not getting any better.. My sister which also has it quit drinking 10 years ago and has improved great.. Wish I listined

Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

I am not to sure what is going on with you, but i do know that alcohol is a neuro toxin and large amounts over time do drain the vitamin B out of one's system, vitamin B is essential for nerve support, in alcoholic neuropathy patients they are classicly low in thiamine [B1] especially, has any doctor tested your B1 & B12 levels ?
its only a simple blood test, but keep in mind that what some docs class as normal levels of b12 are really not, most are decades behind in B12 research, these days anything under a score of 500 is thought to be suspicous of b12 deficiency, which can cause all sorts of peripheral & central nervous system disorders.
Seeing that everyone is saying your nerves are shot, It certainly wouldn't hurt you to supplement with a multi B, B1, B12 [ methylcobalamin] daily, just one other thought, maybe a scan of your cervical spine might reveal any impingments of the spinal cord or any pressure on the nerves around that area.
I hope you get some relief soon,
best of luck
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 10-27-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Closed Thread