It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Numb Arms While Laying Flat

Hi,

Has anyone experienced this? If I happen to lay flat on my back (which would pretty much be while sleeping), I almost always wake up with my arms completely numb and immovable. It takes a while but feeling does come back and I am able to move around again. I've noticed this while laying in bed and even laying on the floor. I also get arm numbness if I sleep on flat on my side. Since I've been having more back pain and hip pain while laying on my sides, I usually sleep on my back (although I do get pins & needles in my toes/feet). However, I have to prop myself up with a mattress genie, lots of pillows, and a cervical pillow on top of my regular pillows. As long as I'm propped up like this, my arms seem okay. It's only when I'm laying flat do my arms go numb. The other night I was tired, but was on the floor playing with my kitten a little. Well, I ended up waking up in the wee hours of the morning on the floor, on my back (I fell asleep there) and my arms were completely numb again. I have also noticed that sometimes while sitting, I will get pins & needles, and sometimes numbness in some of my fingers. I even woke up one time and part of my right face was completely numb (as if I'd just had a novacaine injection at the dentist). It's strange because I know this can happen, say when you sleep on a limb in the wrong position or for too long..it gets numb and wakes up when you move it. But I am not even sleeping on my limbs when this happens.

Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, what was your cause?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
(male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User
Re: Numb Arms While Laying Flat

Im not sure if this is the same as my problem but it sounds very similar. Do you know if your arms are bent at the elbow when you wake up with the numbness. If they are you might have a nerve impingement of the ulnar nerve in the elbow. Easy way to tell is lay on your back on the floor or bed and fold your arms in a criss cross fashion. Lay that way for 10 or 15 minutes and see if your hands and arms start to fall asleep, if they do its probably the ulnar nerve. Ive had this condition for 25 years, while it is quite a pain I have chosen not to have the surgery required to fix them. Let me know what happerns as I have more info on the subject. Good news is my condition reached a certain point and has not gotten any worse. Let me know.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! No, actually usually my arms are flat along my sides or sometimes a little out to the sides when this happens. I have tried bending my elbows and trying to keep my arms on top of me, but I guess they usually go to my sides overnight. What does seem to help is keeping my upper body propped up while sleeping, it's when I lay flat I have the most problems with it. Although, I've gotten numbness during the day as well while going about my day. I just wonder if I get some compression in my neck somewhere. I do get neck pain and I've had times where the pain ran down my left arm. I also get alot of random buzzing sensations in my neck, down my spine, and other areas of my body. Some of it is almost similar to symptoms i've had in my low back, rear, legs and feet from lumbar stenosis. I could not lay flat at all before my surgery or my entire legs would get numb. Who knows, maybe I have something similar going on my neck area.

Thank you, though, for the suggestion! I probably should have my neck checked, at least, but I cannot afford it now

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
(male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

I was hoping that it was a inpingement in your elbow but it sounds like thats not the case. A friend of mine had similar symptons and it ended up being a bulging disc between c6 and c7. He ended up having a fusion and is doing great. Since then however they have made great advancements on treating this problem and there is many things doctors can do to help your condition before surgery is ever considered if that is the problem and thats a big IF !! One very simple test you can do which might be a indicator of a neck issue is sit on a table like like you do at the doctors with your legs dangling and have someone tap your reflex point on your knees. If your reflex is much more brisk than usual, then that can indicate a neck issue. When doctor did this to him he almost kicked her in the jaw. The doctor ordered a MRI of the neck because of that test and it showed a stenosis. When you can afford it or it gets worse you should at least have a office exam. I hope I have been of some help and goodluck with everything and feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Actually i've had my reflexes tested by doctors and physical therapists. I can't remember now which side it was, but one knee has no reflex at all, and the other had a slight reflex.

Before I had lumbar spine surgery for severe stenosis, I had no reflexes at all. I did pretty well for several months after surgery, but then I began getting disk herniations and bulges constantly, and still do. I also have alot of scar tissue inside where I had the surgery, which is also contributing to my current pain problems, at least the ones in my lower body. None of this would explain my upper body symptoms except that, like we both mentioned, maybe I am developing stenosis or some other problem in my cervical spine now.

Again, I thank you very much for your suggestions! I always appreciate offers of advice, as well as I like to do the same for others. And I definitely will get checked out when I get insurance again.

Closed Thread