It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
(male)

OzSleeperCell HB User
Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery - Recovery

Hi, I had ulnar nerve transposition surgery on my left elbow 18 days ago. I am unable to straighten my arm fully yet - the most i can straighten it is to an angle of 20 degrees. When I have my arm resting on a desk when it is bent at 20 degrees and I lean back, I feel the nerve being pulled, in my shoulder, forearm and wrist, and afterwards I feel faint and nausiated. Is this usual when recovering from this surgery, and can I expect to eventually fully straighten my arm again, or is this inability to straight my arm a permanent condition?

The following user gives a hug of support to OzSleeperCell:
wizardwoo (08-26-2011)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
(female)

bilybowl HB User
Re: Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery - Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSleeperCell View Post
Hi, I had ulnar nerve transposition surgery on my left elbow 18 days ago. I am unable to straighten my arm fully yet - the most i can straighten it is to an angle of 20 degrees. When I have my arm resting on a desk when it is bent at 20 degrees and I lean back, I feel the nerve being pulled, in my shoulder, forearm and wrist, and afterwards I feel faint and nausiated. Is this usual when recovering from this surgery, and can I expect to eventually fully straighten my arm again, or is this inability to straight my arm a permanent condition?

I too had ulnar nerve transposition surgery in 08/2008 and it is very painful.It took me about 3 weeks to completeley straighten my arm, but it was very stiff. It helps to use a heating pad or soak the elbow in warm water to help relax the muscles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
(female)

Shellyjes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSleeperCell View Post
Hi I have just had this done 16 days ago. I'm feeling all what you are saying above. Did it end up permanent or do you have full extension now. As I'm a golfer I'm quite concerned! Please help if you can

Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
(male)

OzSleeperCell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyjes View Post
Hi I have just had this done 16 days ago. I'm feeling all what you are saying above. Did it end up permanent or do you have full extension now. As I'm a golfer I'm quite concerned! Please help if you can
No it's not permanent. It took about a month of regular physiotherapy to increase the degree of bend regularly, until I got the full 100% out. You will find that normal use of the arm will take a considerable amount of time, as because you use the arm less than the other, your muscles will weaken, so that you have to build them up.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

wizardwoo HB User

I had my surgery 24 days ago...I can empathize~! I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps I am worse off now. My left hand appears deformed and yes, I can feel the pulling, although, on a brighter note, I do have full range of my elbow! The worst part is not knowing when the pain will "shoot" and nearly bring me to my knees.
Arghhhh... :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to wizardwoo For This Useful Post:
Bolory (01-31-2012)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

bilybowl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardwoo View Post
I had my surgery 24 days ago...I can empathize~! I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps I am worse off now. My left hand appears deformed and yes, I can feel the pulling, although, on a brighter note, I do have full range of my elbow! The worst part is not knowing when the pain will "shoot" and nearly bring me to my knees.
Arghhhh... :-(
It will get better, but it takes a really long time - like 12 - 18 months or longer. Did your doctor tell you this?

They gave me gabapentin for the shooting pain. I did not like taking this at all. I felt like I was in a fog the entire time I was taking this and then it caused severe nausea which lasted, long after I quit taking gabapentin.

Lastly, it will get better, just keep on doing physical therapy. Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
(male)

Sad man HB User

I had ulner nerve relocaction a few years ago, I feel great as far as the arm and elbow gose. Your recovery sounds a lot more difficult than mine. I did feel intence pian for a few weeks, but did not have the movement issues. I do though have a very large section of my elbow that is completely numb. I would ask your Dr. about this.Like I said My recovery went ok, but I did have the feeling that the nerve was being pulled away from my shoulder my went away after about 2 months. Good Lusk and wish you the best.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
(female)

Bolory HB User

I say thanks because those shooting pains are nasty. I had my surgery Jan9,2012. Iam about three weeks out. I can' t much info on any ways to deal with that pain. Tylenol or ibuprofen does not seem to help. It Is so good to hear about other's experiences. I was beginning to think I was crazy.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
(female)

PennysparklesUK HB User

Hi, I had my left ulna nerve transposition done Dec 2011, and it is still painful my arm is weak and much worse than before the surgery. My Ortho wants to do the right one as well, but I don't want it done.

I changed from Gabapentin to Pregabalin, they work well for the nerve pain and don't make me foggy like Gabapentin did.

I've had both carpal tunnel's done too - and 9 months later I am getting the old tingling and numbness in my fingers again (so, enough typing for now)

PS - I am in the UK

Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
(female)

advdon99 HB User

I had carpal tunnel surgery in May 2012 and about 4 months later I started developing severe pain in my elbow on the same arm. I had Ulnar nerve trans (submuscular) on 4 Oct 2012. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since the surgery. I had the cast taken off on the 15th of Oct and until the 30th I am ONLY allowed to do exercises to regain the range of motion of my arm. No grasping, lifting, or using the hand at all. When I go out of the house, use of the sling is mandatory. I have following all instructions and so far I haven't used ANY pain meds since the 16th of Oct and I am able to bend my arm up to my collar and straighten it completely now. Twisting my hand while my elbow is straightened still feels a bit tight, but not unbearable.
I HIGHLY recommend to baby the arm to the point of 'unneccessary precaution'. I think of my arm as a fragile piece of china that the mere bump it will shatter. It has worked so far.......
I just wanted to share my experience so far, I will keep you updated. Chins up, it will get better!

Reply Reply