It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
(male)

formula72 HB User
Re: Persistent Flank Pain on Right Side

@Cherley

Is it tender under the back lower ribs, when you apply pressure with your thumb, like right where your kidney is? Does it feel like someone has punched you? This is a very important question..because it will help an infinite number of people if you do.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
(female)

Cherley HB User

Yes it is. I can take two fingers and put right on the spot that the pain generates from. I've had about every test there is and the doctors have found nothing. Sometimes it goes into my groin area and sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach. Some days are worse, but it doesn't go away at all. I use ice, heat and Ibuprofen to control it. Today has been a very bad day. I also use a brace I bought at Walmart to help me restrict my movements, but I don't wear it for very long at a time. Stretching Yoga helps too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
(male)

formula72 HB User

O.K, lets see if we can narrow this down even more. Is this pressure tenderness right on the tips and where the back lower ribs kinda turn out?

I think a million people would love to kiss you right now if it is, including me!

Most people have this on the right side. Some people will tell you gallbladder (and doctors remove it thinking this is whats causing the pain) when in fact the pain returns.

I can tell you, from everything you have stated so far, I have the same thing, but on the right. My Doctor has taken blood, urine, and I've had an expensive CAT scan w & W/O dye, only that I had several simple cysts no larger the 5mm in my right kidney.

My urine was another story. My protein was high (20), and blood was <2.0 (whatever this means). My pH, UA was 7.0. My Specific gravity, UA was 1.020 and limit is 1.035

I think "we" are narrowing this down for many folks including me. You and I seem to have the same exact symptoms.

One other question..I'm sorry for all this Cherley ...Does your left flank ache for weeks, then return 2/3 wks later????

Last edited by formula72; 10-22-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
(male)

formula72 HB User

I will also add, If I try to stretch it out, I irritate something fierce. Leaning back in a chair helps, leaning forward on a desk helps. If I press to much on that tender spot, it hurts like a B. A plug-in massager just makes it worse, not better. Stress makes it worse!

My Doctor thinks I have a pinched nerve (I beg to differ). 10mg Flexeril does nothing even with Aleve.

does this relate with you?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
(female)

Cherley HB User

I've had MRI's, ct's, ultrasounds and blood work. I had a neurosurgeon look at the tests and he found nothing. My blood works seemed to be fine. They have found nothing. I went to a pain management doctor and relief from the injections lasted for about a week. I drive a truck and I don't get home often and can't take muscle relaxers or pain pills on the truck. But it doesn't really matter because they didn't do much anyway. Ibuprofen does better for me. I take 4/ 2-3 times a day. I don't press on the tender spots. Actually the stretching from Yoga helps me a great deal, but if I turn or twist the wrong way it makes me yelp. This has been going on since July. The doctor said I had an inflamed muscle, but that seems like a long time for a muscle problem.

When we get back home, I'm thinking of going to a chiropractor. I really need to find out what this is.

Last edited by mod85; 10-23-2011 at 06:40 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cherley:
formula72 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #21
(male)

formula72 HB User

Thank you for all of that information, I'm giving you a hug. Seems you and I are suffering from the same thing. Mine just happens to be on the right side. This pretty much rules out (but does not exclude) appendicitis and pancreas/Liver/gallbladder. Now the possible causes "we" might have....

Costochondritis
Kidney infection/disease or UTI (including bladder)
Inflammation of the Internal oblique/External oblique muscles
Tiny Kidney stones like gravel/sand
Colon inflammation on either side where it bends.
Back/neurological problems (including pinched nerve)

These are some ideas I've thought also about. I drive a car with a Manuel transmission and thought this might have something to do with it. I have to parallel park my car, so I have to look over my right shoulder when doing this which seems to strain my oblique muscles. I sit a lot @ (work/home on computer) with bad posture(guilty), but still manage to ride my mountain bike 4/5 days a wk (30+ miles). I thought about my bed (11yr old bed) may have something to do with this. I'm just throwing ideas out their.

I've had this on/off going on now 11yrs. It will go away, but never completely. This is the 4th time it's surfaced this year alone. BTW, I'm right handed..

Last edited by formula72; 10-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
(male)

formula72 HB User

@Cherley

One last question....When you lift your left leg (like putting on a pair of socks when in a seated position), do you feel like something is swollen in or around your left bladder area?

Last edited by formula72; 10-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
(female)

Cherley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula72 View Post
@Cherley

One last question....When you lift your left leg (like putting on a pair of socks when in a seated position), do you feel like something is swollen in or around your left bladder area?
Sorry, it took me so long to get back to you. I've been swamped. It's strange how the pain will hit. I can do a lot of movements, but if I lift and twist or squat at the same time that I am lifting then it really hurts something. I never know for sure what will hurt it, but bending is very hard, yet I can do Yoga.

I've made it home (I'm a truck driver and I've been on the road for almost 2 months) and I'm going to the doctor again next week. I don't have much hopes. I think my pain actually comes from the inside as well as the outside.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #24
(male)

formula72 HB User

Cherley,

I have not forgotten you and hope you are you doing well. I've had an MRI of my spine recently and nothing was found. Doctor thinks I have a pinched nerve and diagnosed me with "intercostal neuralgia". Sounds about right.
I still have this ache, but anytime it aggravates me, I just raise my arm above my head and lean to the left as far as i can (hold for 10-20secs) and stretch my side out. This seems to help. I still have the "someone has punched me in the back ribs feeling"...

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
(female)

Cherley HB User

Quote:
Cherley,

I have not forgotten you and hope you are you doing well. I've had an MRI of my spine recently and nothing was found. Doctor thinks I have a pinched nerve and diagnosed me with "intercostal neuralgia". Sounds about right.
I still have this ache, but anytime it aggravates me, I just raise my arm above my head and lean to the left as far as i can (hold for 10-20secs) and stretch my side out. This seems to help. I still have the "someone has punched me in the back ribs feeling"...
Thanks. I'm still having the pain and they are still running test. Next stop Colonoscopy. If we ever find out what it is, I'll let you all know. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #26
(female)

emars39 HB User

everyone that is having pain in their right side flank should get a colonoscopy.. especially if u are having bowel changes with it eg.. persistant constipation or diarhea(sp?) ... my only symptoms of bowel cancer were pain and bowel changes with a positve occult stool sample.. i was diganosed almot a week ago and i am so thankful for my doctor who recognised my symptoms even though i am only 21.. cancer doesnt discriminate and can affect ANYONE! take care everyone

Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
(male)

Nervy2004 HB User

Same symptons; kidney stones eliminated; I think that I am going to try a gastro dr. next.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
(female)

tpayne72 HB User
Smile Re: Persistent Flank Pain on Right Side

Cody
just diagnosed for this after 4 months of not knowing and passing out from iron deficiency anemia last week. You have Neuropathy flank pain and raiates from flank to mid back and wraps and tightens like a belt. causes insomnia due to lack of sleep from constant pain plus unable to sit or sleep.. . I;m on some heavy pain meds that are helping yet this nerve damage will stay for life as well as pain management when it decides to flare up. CapzasineHP is an OTC until you can go get diagnosed and scripts from your doctor.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
(male)

formula72 HB User

Lets keeps this going......improvements, changes...mine has come back now for two weeks, going on three.

I had a "complete" blood workup at beginning of July, checking for Gluten intolerance, diabetes, Pancreatic enzymes...everything is fine (at least with lipid tests)....other then a rolling body temperature and this annoying ache, I'm fine. Monitoring my body temp, it will go from 98.1*F to 99.3*F and back down again. Occasionally, it will peak to 99.7*F, but drop. I'm not sure if this is normal as I haven't checked it while feeling great. I understand caffeine, a meal, and time of day all raise body temperature somewhat.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
(male)

droconn HB User

Hi, were you tested for Lyme disease? Lyme has a tendency to cause rolling body temps.

Take care,
D

Quote:
Lets keeps this going......improvements, changes...mine has come back now for two weeks, going on three.

I had a "complete" blood workup at beginning of July, checking for Gluten intolerance, diabetes, Pancreatic enzymes...everything is fine (at least with lipid tests)....other then a rolling body temperature and this annoying ache, I'm fine. Monitoring my body temp, it will go from 98.1*F to 99.3*F and back down again. Occasionally, it will peak to 99.7*F, but drop. I'm not sure if this is normal as I haven't checked it while feeling great. I understand caffeine, a meal, and time of day all raise body temperature somewhat.

Reply Reply