It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

amcpherson72 HB User
burning sensation in lower extremities

I've been diagnosed with high LDL or mabe its low. I'm not diabetic but borderline. Actually my last blood test for sugar was ok. Yesterday I ate a lot of Honey roasted nuts and I had drank coffee that my wife Sarah had made.

The burning sensation is at the knee and just below into my feet. It's kind of like when your limbs fall asleep and tingle when that wake up.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
(female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User
Re: burning sensation in lower extremities

Hi amcpherson! I am pre-diabetic and have the burning, tingling pain in both of my feet. I have had this for 3 years. I would suggest that you go to see your Dr who should send you to a Neurologist for tests as it is important to get a proper diagnosis and go from there. I have had an MRI and EMG, nerve function tests and lots and lots of blood tests.It takes patience and perseverance to get the proper medications but the earlier you start treatment the better!! Keep a positive attitude, hard at times I know, and get lots of rest, eat well and laugh whenever you get the chance! Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi amcpherson72 & welcome to this forum, there are many reasons for nerve damage or irritation, elavated blood sugars is a very common cause but certainly not the only one.
Borderline or Prediabetes can certainly be a cause, although a lot of uninformed medical community who are not up to date with the current neurological findings will say other wise, i am curious on how you were tested to get the borderline diagnosis, if it was an overnight fasting glucose test, it is not the best test as the person has all night for their bodies to get rid of excess glucose, the best test is a 2 or up to 5 hour Glucose Tolerance test, this will show how your body handles a glucose challenge, i know of people who have had a perfect overnight fasting glucose test score but once they had the GT test have shown to be well into the diabetic 2 range.

Some other causes are vitamin deficiencies like low B12, B6, B1, toxins, connective tissue disorders and chronic inflammation and the list goes on and on, your GP can order lots of blood tests, failing that, ask to be reffered to a neuro that is a neuropathy expert.

best of luck
Aussie

Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

guisseppi HB User

Hi, new here . I see you had an emg...was it painful? I am having one next week....eeg was ok , blood was fine but cant figure out the burning pains. Also on gabapentin for burning occipital nerves, helps but new pain, lower leg -side of calve- has started. Thought for sure I had onset of diabetes....Any info appreciated. Thanx

Last edited by guisseppi; 03-13-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

jwood HB User

Someone mentioned they were going to have an EMG. How was the test for you? Did you suffer for days afterwards? Just curious if you felt as I did when I had one done.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
(female)

guisseppi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Someone mentioned they were going to have an EMG. How was the test for you? Did you suffer for days afterwards? Just curious if you felt as I did when I had one done.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

guisseppi HB User

Hi,my test went well, thank you 4 asking, no suffering at all after. she said there is a problem on my left side with a nerve running down my leg to foot. I am going for an xray on knee, she isnt sure if its a torn meniscus causing problems or ateritis....not arthritis. I guess I cant have an mri right away. It's not pain in my bones , I've had that before. I also had costrochondritis 2 yrs ago that lasted for about 10 months. Since then, I've had burning in my head and now my leg....I wish someone could figure it out. I need to be on an episode of 'HOUSE' !

Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
(female)

jwood HB User

Don't we all wish we had a "house" near us? lol

I wonder why I hurt so bad and my nerves were so upset after my test? Maybe the doc was not too good at doing the test? Not sure.

I'm glad you didn't suffer with that and hope you are on the mends

Closed Thread