It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

frustration101 HB User
EMG test results show normal when no sensation

Has anyone had an EMG test or a nerve conduction test where the doctor told you the results were normal despite not being able to feel anything? A few weeks ago i had a nerve conduction test and an EMG test performed. I was able to feel the electrical currents on the skin, however, there was no sensation at all with the penetration of the needles or the electrical currents on one whole side i.e. feet, legs, arms and hands. I thought this was the easy part of the test and they were just inserting a needle and had no idea they were running electricity through the muscles and/or moving the needles around inside the muscles. A follow-up appt with my physician gave the following results: all EMG test scores were normal and no follow-up needed and no need for further testing. I also am experiencing a sense of weakness in both hands and arms now and it is now progressing to my biceps.

I have done research on EMG and nerve conduction tests, but havent found anything referencing what it may mean if you cant feel any of it. please let me know if anyone else has experienced these symptoms and what were you told by your doctor. it is most greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: EMG test results show normal when no sensation

Hi, just wondering if they intend to test for the small fibres nerves, this is usually done by a skin punch biopsy or quanitive sensory testing.

I know when I had a nerve conduction test I felt nothing & the emg was only very minor discomfort, the neuro said I some large involvement but the quanitive sensory test showed my small fibre nerves were the worst out of the two.

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

frustration101 HB User

as far as i know the doctors are not planning any further testing as they deem the EMG and the nerve conduction test normal and nothing wrong with me or my nerve/endings. :

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

The small fibre nerves are responsible for sending signals to the brain for sensation and tempature feelings, if you have any abnormal sensation feelings they should be checked out, the emg & nc tests can not test these nerves they only test the large nerves which doesn't tell them the complete picture of your nerves, you said " no sensation at all with the penetration of the needles " suggest numbness which could be small fibre damage.
I know a lot of neuropathies that have gone through a few neuro's until they found one they knew how to test for neuropathy or were even neuropathy savy, sad but true unfortunatly.

Aussie

The following user gives a hug of support to Aussie100:
chelee (10-18-2011)
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

frustration101 HB User

thanks for the reply aussie.. what is your prognosis?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

anwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB Useranwise67 HB User

Hello. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have lack of sensation in my face, feet to knees, and elbows to hands(I don't feel anything as sharp only dull). I had to get my finger *****ed yesterday for wellness screening and I never felt a thing. I was shifted from one doctor to another for about 2 and 1/2 years b/c they don't know about SFN. I finally brought up my on investigations to my neuro and asked for the skin biopsy. He said we don't do that here but you can get your GP or a dermatologist to do it. Needless to say, it was alot more complicated to get tested than he suggested. I found a wonderful neurologists who was not offended by my own research and he did the biopsy on the same day I met him. About a week later I finally got the dx of SFN after almost 3 years. Some of my other symptoms include muscle cramping, burning, tingling and lack of temperature recognition. I hope this helps. I can give you some info about getting the skin biopsy too.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustration101 View Post
thanks for the reply aussie.. what is your prognosis?
My prognosis is really good, my nerves have healed completely now, which took about 5 years to do so, mine was caused through elavated blood sugars and I was low in B12 as well.
I had a lot of trouble in the beggining of my PN, many gp's & one neuro didn't have a clue what was going on, eventually I found a neuro that was an expert in neuropathy [ not many are ] thats when my luck changed.
I am very busy now got to go...talk to you later.

Aussie

Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
(female)

CAROLYN000 HB User

AUSSIE100
What did you do to heal the nerves?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Like you, my EMG tests were normal (except for carpal tunnel). My neurologist discounted my symptoms, but off-handedly mentioned maybe small fibers could be involved--like it was no big deal. Only through research and finding others on this Healthboard with similar symptoms did I finally discover I had small fiber neuropaty (SFN), which doesn't show on EMG tests. I am now being treated for SFN because I persisted with my doctors and didn't let my neurologist get away with discounting me as a psycho. Only you know what you are feeling, so do be persistent with your doctors so you can get a diagnosis and treatment for whatever it turns out to be. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Question Re: EMG test results show normal when no sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustration101 View Post
Has anyone had an EMG test or a nerve conduction test where the doctor told you the results were normal despite not being able to feel anything? A few weeks ago i had a nerve conduction test and an EMG test performed. I was able to feel the electrical currents on the skin, however, there was no sensation at all with the penetration of the needles or the electrical currents on one whole side i.e. feet, legs, arms and hands. I thought this was the easy part of the test and they were just inserting a needle and had no idea they were running electricity through the muscles and/or moving the needles around inside the muscles. A follow-up appt with my physician gave the following results: all EMG test scores were normal and no follow-up needed and no need for further testing. I also am experiencing a sense of weakness in both hands and arms now and it is now progressing to my biceps.

I have done research on EMG and nerve conduction tests, but havent found anything referencing what it may mean if you cant feel any of it. please let me know if anyone else has experienced these symptoms and what were you told by your doctor. it is most greatly appreciated.
I know exactly what your going through,I've just had the same test where upon I had nor reaction to the shock sensations as I could not feel it a something saying my nerves are fine? No proper statistic test results were given to me or anything.
So I have legs that give way have arthritis in knees and hips,severe muscl
wastage of thighs and calves from ME,and I'm in a wheelchair most of the time,but they are fine?
So if they are fine why can't I walk without dragging my foot,my hip turned inwards,numbness and got my home adapted from the occupational therapist and social worker?
Does everyone get these results or is it just people in our NHS (england) or what? I don't get it
Take care
Jacq

Closed Thread