It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

fleachm HB User
wrist drop/radial nerve damage

New Years Eve eve (dec 30,2008) I slept on my arm wrong and when I woke up my wrist was completely limp, thought I had a stroke or something so went to ER. OLD doc treated me and said it was wrist drop from cutting off circulation (he did it all the time back in his army days) and would get better in a few days...it didn't, so a week and a half later I went to regular doc, he said I damaged the radial nerve. By this time I was getting slight improvement (could lift it a bit, but not much), but still pretty useless. Doc said nerves take a while to heal, and he 'would' send me to a neurologist, but since it was improving "the way it should" decided not to. After about 4 weeks on light duty at work, it was back fully functional.

April 9th I slept on it wrong and did it again. This time instead of waking up and freaking out like last time, I took note of how I was sleeping. I fell asleep sitting up, indian style, and had my hand kinda twisted under my leg. (no idea how I was sleeping the last time it happened cause I panicked when I woke up) Did not rush off to ER this time, but I did have to have a DOT physical for work, and that off the wall doc said he didn't think it was from sleeping on it, and I SHOULD see a neurologist, cause it could be a pinched nerve, or something more serious. Today is the 6th day since I did it (again) and its getting slightly better...I can hold my wrist out straight when its clenched, but still droopy when I extend my fingers.

32 years I've never had this happen and now twice in 4 months? (never broken my arm or anything either)!!! If I don't see real improvement by next week, think I'll try to see a neurologist. Thing is i am scared to death of docs....can anybody tell me what a neurologist will do if I go there? Anyone else have this problem?? It's scary, and weird....find out how hard it is to do things with one hand, getting dressed is such a chore! I have soooo much more respect for people with missing limbs, wow!..You really don't know what they go through till you are in thier shoes, or kinda in my case..... Am hoping it will just get better on its own like last time, but kinda scared cause its happened twice now pretty recently. Anybody else have this problem, or care to give some thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
(male)

jazzman878 HB User
Thumbs up Re: wrist drop/radial nerve damage

took 4 months before i could squeeze a test ball hard enough for neuro to ok my return to work. played guitfiddle for ever and was a jazz student -1994 sold all my equiptment. Saturday Night Palsy they called it. I dont drink but i slept in a wierd way that night. Wrist is shot. Good luck with recovery:

Closed Thread