It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

painneverends HB User
femoral nerve damage pain

I have femoral nerve damage due to a pelvic osteotomy in 1984. The femoral artery was ruptured/repaired causing several days of pressure to nerve. Hip replaced in 1989 and a socket revision in 2006. In '08 muscles in thigh began shrinking causing shortened leg of 1.5 in. Severe pain has resulted in all femoral peripheral nerves. Last resort seems to be femoral nerve block so I can go back to strengthening.
Has anyone had one of these procedures. I am trying to find out any downside to having this done. What can I expect. What are the benefits. How long and how much pain will it relieve.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

vlaud HB User
Re: femoral nerve damage pain

I had femoral nerve damage after having a lumbar fusion where they went through the side the hip muscle. When I woke up from surgery I couldn't feel half of my left leg and was unable to lift it. I've had quad wasting. I believe that my nerve was severed not just compressed because I've had no recovery and it's been about 8 months. I was told by my surgeon there was nothing he could do. It would just take time for the nerve to regenerate. So I'd like to hear if you were helped
Thanks
vlaud

Last edited by vlaud; 06-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

painneverends HB User

Dear vlaud
Have you had a nerve conduction study? This will indicate how much nerve impulse there is. It sounds like the lateral peripheral nerves were involved. In my case the primary femoral nerve was damaged closest to the spine.
Tell your doctor that you want him to do the nerve conduction study.
The first procedure I had was a nerve block to the peripheral femoral nerves. It involves a steroidal injection. It did help for a few months, but my underlying problem is more complicated and it was causing inflamation around the femoral nerves.
Aside from that I have been taking a high dose of Bvitamins.

deleted: commercial website>

I know the frustration you must feel. I hope this information helps.
painneverends

Last edited by Administrator; 06-11-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: read the rules in the FAQ.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
(female)

vlaud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by painneverends View Post
Dear vlaud
Have you had a nerve conduction study? This will indicate how much nerve impulse there is. It sounds like the lateral peripheral nerves were involved. In my case the primary femoral nerve was damaged closest to the spine.
Tell your doctor that you want him to do the nerve conduction study.
The first procedure I had was a nerve block to the peripheral femoral nerves. It involves a steroidal injection. It did help for a few months, but my underlying problem is more complicated and it was causing inflamation around the femoral nerves.
Aside from that I have been taking a high dose of Bvitamins.

deleted: commercial website>

I know the frustration you must feel. I hope this information helps.
painneverends
Dear pain never ends. I wish I could call you pain has ended.How have you managed to deal with the pain for so long. I'm taking all kinds of medications to deal with the pain and the thought of having to stay on them long term scares me. I can't stop thinking what it could be doing to my liver and kidneys. I did have a nerve conduction study 3 weeks after the surgery and it showed denervation of the vastus medialis,hip adductors,illopsoas and facia latae. No femoral motor response was obtained. And no motor unit potentials. The paraspinals were not tested due to recent surgery. What is your activity level. Do you have to wear a brace. Is the nerve block just to treat the pain?
I really appreciate your reply. All we can do is hope for better.
Vlaud

Closed Thread