It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

Valentines HB User
We've found temporary instant relief

Hi to all of you who are in the same boat! My husband has had neuropathy for about 13 years. He is on Neurontin 800 mg 3 times a day and Cymbalta to help scramble the pain in the brain. About a month ago I started vigorously massaging my husbands calves, really giving them a workover! He would seem to have some relief from that. Problem was, my hands would get tired, so it was hit and miss. However, for the last 2 weeks, I have used a powerful vibrator, working slowly up and down each calf for about 5 minutes each. Then I very CAREFULLY, very SLOWLY, start vibrating the bottom of each foot starting with the heel, and moving into the instep. I spend 5 minutes on each foot. He is lying down on his stomach while I do this. He has had instant relief that lasts for several hours. We had done this "treatment" for several nights in a row now and he is actually sleeping through the night, without getting up for an hour or so trying to get some sort of relief. I apply a medium amout of pressure while vibrating the areas and he definately twitches, jumps, and is girating with the nerves coming alive. It is not a relaxing thing for him, but is definately worth it. I'm thrilled to have found something that seems to be working for now.

I'm new to this blog, and am thrilled to read other peoples comments about what they are going through, and what is helping. I hope this might help just one person. What a crazy disease!

His diagnosis was: idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. Not coming from diabetis, however the Dr. says he's slowly moving towards that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

kangelo HB User
Re: We've found temporary instant relief

I can so much understand what you both are going through. My heart goes out to you, I promise. I've just been diagnosed with neuropathy. My feet are burning like crazy as I write this. Please, if you would, tell me what kind of vibarator you got and where I might can purchase one. It would be greatly appreciated. I've just begun the Neurontin about three days ago, and I've not noticed any improvement. I don't know how long it may take. Thank you so much, and best of luck to you and your husband. God bless!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

Valentines HB User

Thanks for the reply. We bought the vibrator years ago for my husbands back so I can't tell you where to buy it. It's name is "Great Vibes" Model #VB-8 vibrating massager. 120v 60Hz 19W are the only other numbers on the vibrator. It is a hand held unit (not cordless) about 10" long with a flexable oval head that vibrates. I don't think the type of vibrator will probably make the difference. It's the pressure, and having someone who will patiently vibrate the muscles in your calves. Then moving on to the bottoms of your feet. When you first apply the vibrator to the feet start at the heel and just hold it for 10-15 seconds before moving SLOWLY down the foot towards the toes. You will experience alot of nerve activity that causes my husband to jerk his feet and toes alot. So tell whoever will be doing this for you to be aware of taking a foot to the face. Whenever my husbands calf or feet start jerking I just hold the vibrator very still until he can stand it moving again. The operator (me) needs to just be sensitive to the patients movements and continue on as the patient allows.

The result has definately been worthwhile. He can sleep thru the night, or get a decient start on his day, depending on whether we do a night treatment or a morning. So what caused your neuropathy? Are you a diabetic? How long do you think it has been going on? It took my husband 3-4 years before he was diagnosed.

I'd love to hear from you, or anyone who tries this to see if you have good results too.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

kangelo HB User

Hello, Valentines.

Thanks so very much for the information and all the detail you gave me. If I can find a vibrator, I'll sure try it and let you know how it works for me. My doctor, just yesterday, called in Amitriptyline to work together with the Neurontin, and today I've felt very little burning and have really had a good day, but that's except for me being very groggy and sleepy due to the new med. We'll see what happens.

I've been packing my feet down with ice packs and I find that helps a great deal. It pretty much numbs them.

My feet began tingling about four months ago, then gradually got worse, and now I'm at the burning stage. It came on very sudden, and I had no idea what neuropathy was,. so a total shock to me. I don't have diabetis.

Thanks again, and I hope your husband gets along better and better. I guess there's no cure and we just have to treat it. Very sad.

All the best!

Kangelo

Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

regslady HB User

Thanks for the suggestion...I'm going to try it on hubby right now. Well, after I find that goalie face mask

Update: Just finished. When I was done, I asked him if there was any difference at all in his neuropathy pain. His feet aren't throbbing or burning at all!!! He's all ready to fall asleep now, so I guess I wont be able to tell how long it lasts this time. I think I'm going to play around and see if linaments or heating gels make any difference.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last edited by regslady; 07-20-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added hubby's results

Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

Valentines HB User

I'm so excited you tried the vibrator on the calves and feet. It is working so well at our house, it has been a life saver so far. I'm just really wondering if this will work for other people. I've done it on one other person and he went to wal-mart to see if he could buy a vibrator for himself. I'm going to start looking to see what's out there. I feel so blessed to be able to help my husband. We are going on vacation in our RV for a while so I may not be around, but keep up the good work! I haven't found any lotions, or gels that have had any effect on my husbands feet. Good Luck.........Valentines

Old 08-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
(female)

Valentines HB User

I feel I have to update you. This is Valentines. I wrote my first message last June about the good results my husband is having by my using a vibrator on his calves and then the bottoms of his feet. We have now been doing this for 2 months and he is still getting relief! He has not been up even 1 night in pain when I do this to him before he goes to bed. It takes 20 minutes, but boy is it worth it! For those of you seeking relief, try it. You nothing to loose, and everything to gain. If you want explicit instructions on how to do this, go to my original message in June and follow the thread. Read the responses and try it. If you don't have a vibrator, try Wal-Mart or where ever. Try it once, and if it doesn't work, take the thing back. I think eventually, I'll be doing this before he gets out of bed, and when he goes to bed. He is able to function during the day, and SLEEP during the night. Which means I get to SLEEP too. I feel for you all, and like you, just want the one I love to have relief!!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
(male)

Pices2 HB User

Hey Dear Friend, Talked to you the other day. I am going to Wal-Mart soon and giving this a try. Will talk soon. Tell Hubby Hi, from you know who!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
(male)

esolc HB User

I have been trying vigorus excersize, I am taking a topical oinment and neurotin for pain, I have only had the condition for about 4 months. It even hurts to leave my socks on around the house, so I keep myself barefoot all the time I can, between that and the pain killer, I do well on my feet for about an hour before the pain starts.

Case

Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
(female)

kangelo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentines View Post
I feel I have to update you. This is Valentines. I wrote my first message last June about the good results my husband is having by my using a vibrator on his calves and then the bottoms of his feet. We have now been doing this for 2 months and he is still getting relief! He has not been up even 1 night in pain when I do this to him before he goes to bed. It takes 20 minutes, but boy is it worth it! For those of you seeking relief, try it. You nothing to loose, and everything to gain. If you want explicit instructions on how to do this, go to my original message in June and follow the thread. Read the responses and try it. If you don't have a vibrator, try Wal-Mart or where ever. Try it once, and if it doesn't work, take the thing back. I think eventually, I'll be doing this before he gets out of bed, and when he goes to bed. He is able to function during the day, and SLEEP during the night. Which means I get to SLEEP too. I feel for you all, and like you, just want the one I love to have relief!!!!
Valentines, if you remember, where would I find a vibrator at Wal Mart? I'm going to give your suggestion a try. I'm on the Nerve Support Formula and still hope it works, but I'd love to find relief from this NOW... Does your husband take anything additional for pain and control? I'm on Neurontin and Amitriptilyne, and I don't like the side effects, so I'd love to at least cut down on it. I'm sooooo glad your hubby is getting relief!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
(female)

Valentines HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pices2 View Post
Hey Dear Friend, Talked to you the other day. I am going to Wal-Mart soon and giving this a try. Will talk soon. Tell Hubby Hi, from you know who!
Well, you even have a blog name and everything, Pices2. Yea that works. I chose Valentines, cause of my birthday. Good to see you on the "boards".

Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
(male)

Chipwillits HB User

I've even heard of machine, One stands on, that vibrates the whole body.!! It was in San Fransico and cost like 10$ for 5 minutes. Allot of people were really happy with the machine. My 2cents Chip in Willits Ca.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
(female)

Valentines HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangelo View Post
Valentines, if you remember, where would I find a vibrator at Wal Mart? I'm going to give your suggestion a try. I'm on the Nerve Support Formula and still hope it works, but I'd love to find relief from this NOW... Does your husband take anything additional for pain and control? I'm on Neurontin and Amitriptilyne, and I don't like the side effects, so I'd love to at least cut down on it. I'm sooooo glad your hubby is getting relief!
Kangelo... During Christmas Walmart stores had vibrators, but now you probably will have to get them online. I got the Hometics brand with 2 pulsating heads. This one offers heat also, but we don't use that. I have used others ones too. My husband does not use any breakthrough pain meds yet, and with this massage to fall back on, maybe he won't have to. He is now experiencing some pain in his hands, and the vibrating hasn't seem to work for his hands yet. That's a little tricker to do. I hope it helps and remember 5 minutes on each calf and 5 min. on each botton of the foot. Working slowly, slowly. Someone else has to do it for you, I hope you have a someone! Let me know...........

Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
(female)

kangelo HB User

Thank you, Valentines. I will see what I can find. I'm anxious to try it and pray I have relief as your husband does. Let me ask you, does it take the pain, burning, tingling symptoms away completely, or does it make it more tolerable, for your husband?

Is he taking any B vitamin supplements?

Thank you again. I will let you know how it works for me when I find one and start the massage therapy.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
(female)

sylvianne HB User

Hi All,
I have been back and forth to hospital also for tests and such because I have this neuropathy. I wont have the emg test because my friend had it and she said it wasn`t very pleasant. I have been driven mad by burning feet that started at tip of toes and then spread right through both feet and up my leg to just below my knees and this happened over a very short time . I felt my feet and legs were numb and yet I can feel them burning hot like I have walked over hot coals, they also feel like they are swollen and yet look normal. I was fed up waiting months for each lot of tests to be done and getting nowhere. so went out and purchased a circulation booster and the very first go on it for half an hour, no kidding I could feel my feet and toes for the first time in ages and it was such a relief. Although it didn`t take it away my feet and legs felt different like the numbness had been evened out and less uncomfortable .
I was elated but found my feet and legs was the same when waking up in the night and always felt worse while resting in bed.
I still think the machine is worth what I purchased it for and find the affects last for 2 days at a time. It requires half an hour everyday and it has different strenghth elecrical pulses that you can alter yourself.
I tried gabapentin but couldn`t get on with it as felt like a walking zombie. So not on anything at moment.

Closed Thread