It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
(male)

jamesy1989 HB User
Smile Introduction and Fentanyl Trans Dermal Patch

Hi! I would like to introduce myself. I'm James (as u can see via my username). I was in a car accident a few years ago, and have been dealing with chronic pain for a long time. I found this website through a search engine, and i thought it would be a fantastic thing to speak with people who are going through the same thing i am. I just recently got back from a trip to the mayo clinic, who stated that she didnt want to put a name to my diagnosis because nerve pain is way more complex than other types. Anyway, she gave me this cream (Amitriptyline, Clonidine, Ketamine) that has been working fantastic on the burning pain. Right now i'm on Norco 10/325 q6, and OxyIR 15mg Q6 PRN. I have been shuttled to different doctors for years, and have finally found an understanding doctor in the weirdest place. After the trip to the mayo clinic- and not being on pain meds for years- they told me i needed a primary care physician to overlook everything, and take over the prescribing of my medicine. I found a primary care physician who continued my scripts for a couple weeks, but upon running out, there was no way to get a hold of him. I called him for 2 weeks straight and never received a call back. After i ran out and suffered for 2 days, i went to a walk in clinic to see a doctor. The D.O. doctor i saw was really understanding, and agreed to take over my treatment until i enrolled in a chronic pain program and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. We have been talking for a while now, and he has suggested the fentanyl patches a few times, stating that it would reduce the ups and downs of short-acting oral medication, and the risk of mental addiction. I think this is a great idea, but would like some opinions on switching over to the patch from all you experienced pain patient vets. What are the pro's and con's of the patch, and how smooth is the transfer from oral to trans dermal medication? Any additional information you guys can give me relating to the patch would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Introduction and Fentanyl Trans Dermal Patch

hi jamesy and welcome to the boards. what is the actual cause(like what actually showed up on an MRI?) of your chronic pain? what does it feel like and where do you have it? with regards to going from what you are on now and going way up to fent at this point? well, there ARE just much better choices in between that could be more helpful and would not place you on what IS just the strongest narcotic availiable this soon too. mostly the longer acting narcotics like oxycontin or MS contin just to name a couple. there is also methadone that works really well on the more neuropathic types of pain too.

i have like five areas of some really off the wall types of pain from various surgeries and conditions that developed post op after a spinal cord surgery casued me alot of different types of damage. i am also currently on oxycontin and it has helped me tons. i am very leery of going onto that fent patch myself and it has been brought up before with my pain doc. there are just so many other options here before even goin there ya know?

i have pain that does respond to narcotics and two really nasty pain syndromes that just don't no matter how strong the narcotic is. it just wont go there at all. i see a good pain management doc at my pain clinic who really has helped with that part with certain types of injections and also i have found other ways to just manage that crap too along the way. i have just had alot of insane side effects from the more standard ways of treating the more off the wall types of pain that i simply will not go there anymore. lyrica did amazing things for my RSD and my central pain syndromes but the side effects were too over the top almost disabling for me. i really would have loved to have been able to actually stay on that drug since it was the first and only one that even touched my central pain crap. this could be a good option for you if you are suffering from non responsive to narcotics type pain. not everyone will react the very same way to any given med. alot of variables there. just some thoughts for you. i don't know if you found the pain boards yet but there is a really great knowledgable and supportive group of people there. anything you need to know about living with chronic pain can be found there pretty much. if i were you,i would seriously discuss other possible options with that doc other than fent at least at this point. going to the very top right now, espescially if you have not yet even tried the longer acting narcotics yet, well it could make it very difficult, if that fent needs to be stopped at some pointto even get any real relief from anything below it in strength? it can just create a certain level of tolerance to the lower strength meds if you are on it for any good length of time, ya know what i mean? this is another reason that i personally just do not want to go there yet and i have been on the oxycontin now since 2004. up til now it appears that you have only been on two seperate short acting type meds. believe me the longer acting really do make all the difference as far as coverage and not having to always be watching the clock. just trying the longer acting oxy could make a huge difference for you with your pain levels just being much more stable.

but do pop into the pain boards here, really great place for those of us who have to live with this hell. Marcia

Closed Thread