It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
(male)

jb6 HB User
Numb cheek, gums

For about 3 days now, I seem to have lost some feeling in the lower/mid cheek on the left side of my face. The lower gums on the same side are numb, as well.

This coincided with a bout of the flu, but while the flu is subsiding, the numbness isn't.

I haven't heard of this being a symptom of the flu so, naturally, I'm a little paranoid.

There's no twitching.
There's no "tingly" sensation, unless I press down on it.
The ability to make facial expressions the left side of my face are difficult (my dimple is gone!).
If I don't take caution when drinking, liquid will escape from the left side of my mouth. When speaking, I can feel saliva trying to find its way out, as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Apologies in advance if this is the wrong board for this.

Last edited by jb6; 07-18-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
(male)

jb6 HB User
Re: Numb cheek, gums

Bump...

I forgot to mention that there doesn't seem to be much swelling, and the left side of my tongue is relatively numb, as well.

My bout with the flu is pretty much over. I'm hoping that maybe this is just some dental problem, though the fact that it happened over night leads me to think otherwise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

Frustrated10 HB User

Bells palsy perhaps? If so, it should have resolved by now. Let me know...

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
(male)

jb6 HB User

Thanks!

it was actually believed to be trigeminal neuralgia. It lasted about 3 months, and has since subsided. The condition described in my initial post got much worse over the next few weeks. The numbness turned to crippling pain (think root canal pain) followed by complete loss of feeling on the left side of my face for about 5 minutes, each time.

The TN was not constant, and was typically only triggered when I ate foods at the left side of my mouth or when the wind blew (seriously, almost every time a strong gust of wind hit the left side of my face). The latter symptom led doctors to believe it was TN and that it was likely caused by the flu that I had. I very nearly had surgery to have the nerve severed (I couldn't work, didn't want to "risk" eating). Luckily, about a week before surgery, it miraculously stopped happening.

Thanks again

Last edited by jb6; 01-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Closed Thread