It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Rebeck320 HB User
femoral nerve pain damage

I have femoral nerve damage pain from hip revision surgery. The damage happened from "traction" used in the surgery(retractors). I had an EMG, NRV, tests, but didn't show a nerve was severed, only that the nerves were"stretched" during the procedure, due to many surgeries on my hip.
The Neurologist said that I need "time & patience". However, I need help dealing with this condition. I have knee and upper thigh pain, burning, and electric shocks up and down my left leg. I'm on 300mg Neurontin3 x/day, which helps with the electric shocks, but not the knee pain. I'm not able to do many of my daily activities, like I used to do prior to the hip revision. I'm frustrated and angry. Has anyone has this problem and how are you dealing with it?
Thank you

Old 08-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: femoral nerve pain damage

As your neuro said, nerves do take a long time to heal unfortunatly, the only suggestion I have is some supplements that help the nerves heal.
B12 methylcobalamin 1mg -5 mg daily
1 good quality multi B tab daily
Acetyl-L-Carnatine -1 or 2 [500 mg tabs] daily
Alpha Lipoic Acid or R lipioc acid being the newer & much stronger one, it is both water & fat soluble and a great antioxidant that gets into neurons [works well with Acetyl-L-Carnatine]. it can lower blood sugars so check if taken any meds that also lower blood glucose.

best of luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

eileen v HB User

I have electric shocks too! I do not know anyone that experiences this kind of situation. After my surgery 8 years ago I am now getting the shocks. My nerves were severed by a tumor and surgery. I have shocks 90% of the time down my right arm and down my right side from under my armpit to my groin.
It is driving me crazy. I went through all kind of tests and they can't find anything so they reverted to drugs. I then contacted an acupuncturist and she helped me and kept the "shocks" at bay for 5 months. They are back with a vengence so I went back to the acupuncturist and had 3 sessions and it helped. Not completely but now the "shocks" are coming at me about 60% of the time. Is there anyone out there that has had the reversal of these shocks?? If so, please let me know!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

Rebeck320 HB User

I, too have the "electric shocks", but I've been taking generic neurontin, 300mg 3times a day. It helps with the shocks, but I have knee nerve pain that never goes away.
At least the shocks have lessened. Hope that this helps you.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

wannabetri HB User

I have damage to my femoral nerve as well. i had a femoral hernia repair when I was 21 and the surgeon went over board with the repair and instead of putting dissolving staple or suittiers he put 12 titanium staples in to hold the mesh. He put a few staple on my femoral nerve and a few other unnecessary places. Although the name for the nerve i think is different in the groin area (I think it's like inguinal femural or something to that effect)I believe we are having some of the the same problems. I am on neurontin as well and am about to consider having a stimulator put in to relieve the pain, burning and lightning pain( that's what I think every time I have the shooting pains in my groin and down my leg to my knee. I think of a lightning storm) My shouting pain goes down the inside of my leg to my knee. Is that similar to you problem? at any rate I was told that the stimulator was my only option besides the pain and nerve damage med. Maybe it is something that would be beneficial to you as well. Stay strong, believe me I know it's hard. i am a positive person but it is a daily struggle to not loose my noodle. The pain is so intense that the med don't really help. Take care. Tri

Closed Thread