It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

sick n tired HB User
Question NEUROPATHY Pins n Needles and RA joint pain with stinging hands n feet

I was a normal 30 year old woman with 1 child when I found out I was pregnant. Pregnancy was normal for a few months, then I started experiencing terrible aching hips, shoulders, foot tenderness and fatigue. I attributed all of these symtoms to pregnancy and figured the would all subside after delivery. I was wrong.
After the birth of my child my symptoms intensified. My legs began to swell with edema for a few weeks. when the edema suddenly went away my legs began to go numb in several places. My doctor had no answers for this and referred my to neurologist. While waiting to see him I developed terrible burning, stinging pain and hyper sensitivity in my feet and hands. Like being stung by fire ants all oner feet. Neurologist ran tests confirming nerve damage and neuropathy with no explanation (idiopathic) and told me I would have it FOREVER. He prescribed meds that did not work like gabapentin, tramadol, vicodin, motrin, these meds did not worlk so the pain drove me to triple the doses, this was and is dangerous but offered me minimal relief and any relief was better than none. Finally I switched to Lyrica and that works great on the nerve pain and stinging pain but I began to notice a different pain developing.
There was a pain in the balls of my feet that feels like I am walking on a sharp rock with every step or even just standing. It got so bad that I quit wearing shoes because the sensitivity and that rock in my feet was to much for me to bear. I now have an extensive collection of house slippers with memory foam soles and padded insert to help with the pain but ultimately I am bound to a reclining chair with my feet up for most of the day. I can not go and do normal things like shopping or runand play with my kids. My pain has taken over my life.
Recently pain in my hands began to get worse finger joints and wrists aching and sharp pains in wrist and hands and tenderness in my scalp. Also tightness in calves, ankles , aching knees and ankles. Rheumatologist told now I have Rheumatoid Arthritis ( lucky me) and wants to start me on Plaquinel. Podiatrist said I have tarsel tunnel (yipe) and wants to put me on steroids and shots, pain management wants to inject nerves in my feet to completely block out sensation an load me up with pain meds. I dont know if these kooky doctors have even diagnosed me correctly and I don't really trust them especially since they are now treating my like a drug seeker I'ts like they are sick of me hounding for answers and different meds. I just know that there has to be a med out there that will help?

I was a normal person 3 years ago. What happened to my body ? Why did this happen? Was it the pregnancy? Why am I the only only one in my family with this? Why do doctors fail to aknowledge my pain and fatigue? Why do doctors treat me like a drug seeker trying to get pills? I have a 2 year old baby and 6 year old with autism and I just want my life back. I am very dicouraged about my future. Thinking about the future makes me wanna give up and just throw in the towel. 3 years of hell has literally broken me. I can not work to support my children, but disability keeps denying my claim so I have no money and have to depend on foodstamps to feed my children.

Is there anyone out there like me? Anyone I can talk to. I feel so alone and noone understands my agony. Please someone respond I need some hope to go on

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: NEUROPATHY Pins n Needles and RA joint pain with stinging hands n feet

Are you still taking Lyrica? If so what dosage? I take Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and the burning of the feet, it helps immensely, but I had to wean myself down from 300mg to 75mg, because my feet felt like you describe yours, the Lyrica was causing the problem, although it was taking away some of my other pain. I still take it and it helps still at 75mg, not as much as before, but the feet problem has almost gone away completely. Also, I am thinking you might want to check into Fibromyalgia, it is a real disease,, but the trick is to find a doctor that believes in it.

Sunny

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

sick n tired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
Are you still taking Lyrica? If so what dosage? I take Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and the burning of the feet, it helps immensely, but I had to wean myself down from 300mg to 75mg, because my feet felt like you describe yours, the Lyrica was causing the problem, although it was taking away some of my other pain. I still take it and it helps still at 75mg, not as much as before, but the feet problem has almost gone away completely. Also, I am thinking you might want to check into Fibromyalgia, it is a real disease,, but the trick is to find a doctor that believes in it.

Sunny
thamks for replying. I don't know what disease is attacking my body. I just got back from the rhuematologist and after getting all my test results back he told me that I have psoriatic arthritis and idiopthic neuropathy. I don't even know if he is right. I just keep getting pills shoved down my throat and I don't feel like they have the right diagnosis. I am just in so much pain in my joints and my feet hurt and burn sooo bad that I feel like screaming sometimes. I have to keep telling myself "you can do this", but at the same time I just want to give up. Please tell me about fibromyalgia and what you are experiencing with it. I would like to know what it is and what the symtoms are. I am taking Dilantin, tramadol, vicodin, plaquenel, prednisone, methylprednisone, lyrica, ibuprofin, naproxin, celebrex and more. Even with all that I am still in agony, I think God is punishing me sometimes. Oh well, please tell me about your pain. thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Fibromyalgia affects everyone differently. There is a sticky note on this board and tells all about fibromyalgia. I get joint aches at different places at different times. cold weather can make it worse, and hot weather can make it worse. The burning of the feet was horrible, I used to get up in the middle of the night and put my feet in cold water. I started on Neurontin, which worked for a while then quit working at 600mg. I went to a Pain Management doctor that put me on Lyrica and Cymbalta, the two together works wonders. You can tell me to butt out, but it seems you are taking way too many pills. Plaquenel works in place of Prednisone or vice versa. I have taken both without any success, I should say the prednisone worked a little. but I did not want to be on it forever and there were too many side affects.

Maybe you can ask your doc to refer you to a good pain management doc. Hope you get to feeling better, and remember, you are not alone out there.

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 09-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
(female)

ajosli HB User

I swear I felt like u were telling my story! I am so sorry u r going thru this and I understand the feeling that no one understands what ur going thru. it is not something that one can see therefore most people cannot belive in it. It is so hard living with chronic pain and I wish I had some answers for u! however I am on here looking for the same thing you r...answers! It is good to know there is someone out there who understans this struggle but I am so sorry u have to go thru this. I wish u all the best! Get a pain management Dr.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
(male)

islandjohnny HB User

SnT......by now you know you are not alone with these horrible symptoms. Not everyone suffers the exact same problems. Many can relate, but I do know of some people who have really become better over time.

I will share what I have done over the past two years since my herniated (C-5) disc surgery. I too had numbness in my hands, feet and legs. The feeling of wearing thick gloves, burning feet walking on glass. Surgery corrected the herniated disc, but the nerves were damaged by the compression of the slipped disc, into the spine at the base of my neck.

I refused to take medication unless my life depended on it. I did some research on the internet and purchased a nerve stimulator machine called the "Rebuilder". I have used this since 8/28/09. I place my feet in their special foot bath, filled with water. I turn on the machine at setting #4, and it sends SPECIAL low-current electrical signals into the water, through the feet, and up the legs. I can honestly say I have no pain. I do have the numbness still, but my legs use to be very weak, and now the leg muscles are much stronger. Using the machine once a day for the 30 minute cycle.

I also use an exercise bike at 18 minute intervals, three times a day with very little tension on the peddles. I also take some multi-B vitamins. B-1 (Benfotiamine), B-12 (Methyl), B2 and B6 at a low dosage.

Please know there is always a chance for things to get better. Never accept defeat. At the very least, physical therapy will truly help you move better. I will tell you that the old saying (no pain, no gain) honestly rings true. It's may be painful and difficult to participate in physical therapy at first, but please focus on the future outcome.

Wishing you the very best in health.........

Last edited by islandjohnny; 02-05-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
(male)

jjm0019 HB User

Wow, when I read this I see so much of myself in this post. I was a normal 18 year old boy when my symptoms first started. I literally was fine one day and in pain the next. Burning in the feet, legs, abdominals, back, and torso. I suffered from extreme fatigue. And depression because of my pain. I remember being very scared because I didn't know what was going on with my body. I went to dozens of doctors between the ages of 18-22 but not one could diagnose what was wrong with me. They called me crazy, suggest I go to therapy because the pain was in my head, and a drug seeker because I would ask for pain meds for my pain. I finally got so upset I quit going to the doctors and proceeded to live the next 13 years of my life with chronic pain and no treatment. It was a nightmare! I was finally asked by my Fiancé (God bless her) to go and seek help again. Before I did, I wrote a 4 page letter detaining my pain, history, symptoms, and what I was looking for from my doctor. I required every doctor that treated me to read it before my appointment. If they didn't I walked out of their office (did this two times.) This helped a lot because I felt it showed the doctors I was dealing with that I was serious about getting help and finding a diagnosis. An already long story short, I found a neurologists who ran a number of tests on me and found that I had Small Fiber Neuropathy. This diagnosis explained every symptom I have but more importantly I was able to finally put a name with my pain. I'm 32 now and finally have a diagnosis. This was diagnosis was so important because it gives me the leverage to ask for medicine without being judged by my doctor. I'm working with a great Pain Management Team that really cares about helping make their patients comfortable. Long gone are the days of deep despair and doctors thinking I was in their office just to get "drugs." I relate to your post so much because of the sudden onset of your symptoms. How you said you were stuck to a recliner because of your pain. I remember being in bed for days at a time because I was in so much pain and there was nothing I could do about it because the doctors never believed my story. All I will say is keep hounding these doctors. Their job is to help patients. Write a letter and make them read it before your appointment. Don't be afraid to ask for medicine. If that's what helps and you're ok taking a lot of pills, them by all means, ask for it. That's your right and don't ever feel embarrassed about it. It's just plain BS is a doctors accuses you of being a drug seeker. I read that so much on these message boards and it makes me so upset. There are a lot of people out there that have tarnished the system for people who really do suffer from legitimate pain. I suffered for 13 years because I was embarrassed by my doctors response to my pain. I feel for you with all my heart and just hope you don't lose hope on yourself. Continue to look for a doctor that will take a keen interest in treating your pain. Don't give up on feeling better and finding a doctor that will provide adequate pain management. Good luck and God Bless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick n tired View Post
I was a normal 30 year old woman with 1 child when I found out I was pregnant. Pregnancy was normal for a few months, then I started experiencing terrible aching hips, shoulders, foot tenderness and fatigue. I attributed all of these symtoms to pregnancy and figured the would all subside after delivery. I was wrong.
After the birth of my child my symptoms intensified. My legs began to swell with edema for a few weeks. when the edema suddenly went away my legs began to go numb in several places. My doctor had no answers for this and referred my to neurologist. While waiting to see him I developed terrible burning, stinging pain and hyper sensitivity in my feet and hands. Like being stung by fire ants all oner feet. Neurologist ran tests confirming nerve damage and neuropathy with no explanation (idiopathic) and told me I would have it FOREVER. He prescribed meds that did not work like gabapentin, tramadol, vicodin, motrin, these meds did not worlk so the pain drove me to triple the doses, this was and is dangerous but offered me minimal relief and any relief was better than none. Finally I switched to Lyrica and that works great on the nerve pain and stinging pain but I began to notice a different pain developing.
There was a pain in the balls of my feet that feels like I am walking on a sharp rock with every step or even just standing. It got so bad that I quit wearing shoes because the sensitivity and that rock in my feet was to much for me to bear. I now have an extensive collection of house slippers with memory foam soles and padded insert to help with the pain but ultimately I am bound to a reclining chair with my feet up for most of the day. I can not go and do normal things like shopping or runand play with my kids. My pain has taken over my life.
Recently pain in my hands began to get worse finger joints and wrists aching and sharp pains in wrist and hands and tenderness in my scalp. Also tightness in calves, ankles , aching knees and ankles. Rheumatologist told now I have Rheumatoid Arthritis ( lucky me) and wants to start me on Plaquinel. Podiatrist said I have tarsel tunnel (yipe) and wants to put me on steroids and shots, pain management wants to inject nerves in my feet to completely block out sensation an load me up with pain meds. I dont know if these kooky doctors have even diagnosed me correctly and I don't really trust them especially since they are now treating my like a drug seeker I'ts like they are sick of me hounding for answers and different meds. I just know that there has to be a med out there that will help?

I was a normal person 3 years ago. What happened to my body ? Why did this happen? Was it the pregnancy? Why am I the only only one in my family with this? Why do doctors fail to aknowledge my pain and fatigue? Why do doctors treat me like a drug seeker trying to get pills? I have a 2 year old baby and 6 year old with autism and I just want my life back. I am very dicouraged about my future. Thinking about the future makes me wanna give up and just throw in the towel. 3 years of hell has literally broken me. I can not work to support my children, but disability keeps denying my claim so I have no money and have to depend on foodstamps to feed my children.

Is there anyone out there like me? Anyone I can talk to. I feel so alone and noone understands my agony. Please someone respond I need some hope to go on

Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Oh sickandtired, I am SO sorry for your experience. I truly am. I don't know what started all of this....I am wondering though if it was going to happen anyway, but because it "appeared" related to your pregnancy, timing wise...you would naturally focus on that.

One thing my doctor gave me for my neuropathy was capsasin. I am not sure if I have the spelling right. It is over the counter and it is this stuff for arthritis pain BUT for some reason it calmed my neuropathy symptoms. You could give it a try, as it won't hurt anything. And as I always say ask your doctor or pharmacist if anything in that capsasis will interfere with your meds.

Keep us posted. I will come back and share my pain story at another time. I mostly just wanted you to know that I am sorry you are suffering and I will pray you get relief soon!
Madison

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
(male)

esolc HB User

Quote:

My brother suffers from all the same symptoms. Doctor after doctor would add meds even though they new all his meds he was taking. He was a zombie with pain every where. Once came for a visit, only thing in suitcase was his slippers. Duaghter who is a Pharmacist took all his meds and ran compatipilty checks through there data base. Of Twenty medications she was able to take away 7. My sister put him on a high fruit and fiber plus with his meals, she is a chef. He is better by half but still suffers, but at least can see a light, even if not veryy bright. That is his story. Maybe something can be gleaned fromit: Side bar he wore a Lidocaine patch once for six moths and did not tell his doctor, untill he ended up in the emergency room.

Case

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
(male)

esolc HB User

Quote:

My brother has all the same symptoms, been from doctor to doctor took twenty meds at one time. he came for a visit and was drugged up the only thing in his suitcase was a pair of slippers. He even wore a Lidocaine patch for six moths and did not tell doctor until he ended up in the emergency room. My daughter who is a Pharmacist took all the meds and ran them through her companies med interaction data base, eliminated 7 of the medications that were reacting badly with the other meds. My sister who is a Dr. of Veterinarian Medicene, Equine specialty and chef put brother on high fruit( Raspberies,Black Berries, Etc) and fiber diet added to his regular meals. Brother is much better and working part time. He is 74, but maybe some information can be cleaned from this. The local Pharmacist can be a friend as well as a pill dispencer.

I to feel most of your pains, could not even raise my left arm last night to put on pajamas, feet burn, numbness in few toes and balls of my feet, legs ache constantly. I personally have given up on doctors but that is me, not advice of any kind. I can't eben wear socks at times as they increase the burning to unbearable hights. I started taking B12 none liver breakdone typr to offset some of the tiredness, has worked for me somewhat. Had my first beer in probably ten years, felt good but I won't count that as a cure, cause that could be slippery slope I am told.

Case

Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
(female)

rimaboruah HB User
Red face Re: NEUROPATHY Pins n Needles and RA joint pain with stinging hands n feet

hi...there are like u...one of them is my father suffering from the same agony you are going through..the problem is he don't believe much on what doctors prescribes him as none really helped. He is currently under traditional medicines which is helping him a bit...after a long push, he has started doing exercise. Doctors suspect cholesterol could be one of the problem source.I was wondering if there is some dietary help that can help...so i did searches on internet do find some answer..all i could find is that there could be vitamin B1,B6 and B12 deficiency that possibly cause these problems...

Last edited by rimaboruah; 08-13-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: mistakes

Old 09-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
(female)

bggramma HB User

I have Edema, something new for me . It is to the point that I can't sleep because of the burning feeling in my legs. I am 83 yrs old and this is very frightening to me. I need all the information I can get ( what books to read etc.) . Would like to know what to do to get started right away. Would appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

Closed Thread