It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Pain in Hips, Legs and Feet

I am having severe stiffness/pain in my hips and thighs. I also get tingling and pain/burning in my toes. I went to a neurologist today for an issue I'm having with my eye and he is thinking I might have diabetic neuropathy. I've not been diagnosed with diabetes (will do the test tomorrow), but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these same symptoms. I've had x-rays for arthritis and they were negative. I have a really hard time standing from sitting and I have to hobble a few steps before I can actually walk correctly. I was thinking my hips and legs were more of an orthapedic issue and was surprised when he said it could all be due to diabetes. Is anyone else out there suffering with hip and leg pain? Any suggestions on what I can do to get relief?

Thanks!

Tina

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Pain in Hips, Legs and Feet

Hi Tina,

Yes i sure do have what you are describing. My neurologist ordered a
EMG (nerve conduction test) my diagnosis Radiculpoathy which is when nerves are affected and do not work properly.

Since you are seeing a neurologist have you had EMG ?

Are you having A1C blood test tomorrow to determine diabetes ?
I do not have diabetes.
I do have just exactly what you are describing.

I hope you keep posted here as to what exactly all your neurologist does.
i sure hope you do not have diabetes. you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
Hi Tina,

Yes i sure do have what you are describing. My neurologist ordered a
EMG (nerve conduction test) my diagnosis Radiculpoathy which is when nerves are affected and do not work properly.

Since you are seeing a neurologist have you had EMG ?

Are you having A1C blood test tomorrow to determine diabetes ?
I do not have diabetes.
I do have just exactly what you are describing.

I hope you keep posted here as to what exactly all your neurologist does.
i sure hope you do not have diabetes. you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Wish you well
BeHappy2
Thank you so much for responding! I had the 2 hour Glucose tolerance test and found out today I do not have diabetes - yeah!! I am scheduled for an EMG with my neurologist, but not until early November because they are so busy. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to get some relief? My worst pain is a severe ache deep in my hips, bottom and thighs. Can you recommend any sites where I can learn more about neuropathy and what can cause it. I'm not even sure yet that is what I have, but if it's not that I can't imagine what else could be causing this pain.

I really appreciate your help!!

Tina

Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Thankgoodness Tina you do not have diabetes. What a relief to know that.

Have you had MRI of your Lumbar area ? i did and 2 buldging discs,
Your EMG may be just the beginning of tests.

Are you taking pain meds or muscle relaxants for this ? i even get the darn muscle spasms in my toes so bad. I also see a Rheumatologists regularly for Fibromyalgia and polyarthralgia.

Tina you may want to use therapy lotions for deep muscle pain. i use the cooler ones, i'm too sensitive to heat therapy. If your appointment isn't until
Nov., you may want to call your doctor and have doc prescribe pain med.

It's not easy trying to control pain when the pain just doesn't want to stop.
Not all meds work the same for everyone, you may need to try different meds to see what helps.

i don't know if you do this but i lose my balance and have had several hard falls.
Warm epsom salt baths can be helpful. Summertime i do water therapy, in a pool with slow movements.

You'll have to keep me posted with your EMG and all. Mine has progressed for the worst, but when i read your post i thought for sure that was me .

I wish you the best and as i said i'm sure you'll have many more tests other than the EMG. Please keep me posted. Thoughts and prayers are with you

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User

Tina, I have little to add except I wanted to let you know your not alone, I can relate to your desciption very well. BeHappy covered it pretty well and I just wanted to say please keep us informed, we really do care and your experience may be just the thing that helps someone else who is starting down this road. Hang in there and be patient with the docs, answers can be frustratingly hard to come by. Good luck luv!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User

Thank you so much for your kind, caring responses. It means so much to me to have people who really understand. Sometimes I think perhaps I'm just imagining it all and that I've mentally worked myself into perceiving the pain - but I'm usually a pretty level-headed, intelligent person so I really don't think that's it! Yesterday was actually a really good day, I would describe the pain as minimal and very tolerable. Today, it's up to moderate, but at least it's not severe. Do you all have good days and bad days too? I sincerely hope you have many more good days than bad.

My doctor did give me a prescription for Loritab and I use it only when I really, really have to. Thankfully, I do have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I just hate it when it gets to the point where I want to cut my legs off!!

I do have carpal tunnel in both hands (had surgery on the right back in 2000, but haven't done anything on the left). I live in Las Vegas and when I was diagnosed I was told I had it worse than they see in most dealers (CT is very common among card dealers), but I never thought it could be related to neuropathy, but I guess it is a form, right? Maybe I've been prone to it all along and just never realized it. The second and third toes on each foot are webbed and that's where most of my pain/burning is and I just always thought it was because they were webbed...guess I should have looked into this a long time ago! Oh well...I'm just not one to run right to the doctor when something hurts.

Thanks again for all of your help and support! I will keep you posted!

Tina

Closed Thread