It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

jamieraeann HB User
numbness in pinky left hand

I've had numbness in my pinky and outside left hand for three weeks. What do you think it is? Somtimes it's goes up my arm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
(male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User
Re: numbness in pinky left hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieraeann View Post
I've had numbness in my pinky and outside left hand for three weeks. What do you think it is? Sometimes it's goes up my arm.
I have the same problems and mine has been diagnosed as nerve entrapment of the ulna or ulnar nerve at the elbow. Mine requires a surgery to correct. Go to a good orthopedic doctor and he will probably order some nerve conduction tests to help make the diagnosis. The ulna or ulnar nerve does control your pinky and the outside of the hand. This is a fairly common problem. I had a doctor tell me 25 years ago if I could live with the problem that's what I needed to do, avoid surgery if possible. I think that was good advice but now 25 years later something has changed and the pinky on my left stays numb so if it continues to get worse I will consider surgery. I hope this has been some help, goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

jamieraeann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captinsane1 View Post
I have the same problems and mine has been diagnosed as nerve entrapment of the ulna or ulnar nerve at the elbow. Mine requires a surgery to correct. Go to a good orthopedic doctor and he will probably order some nerve conduction tests to help make the diagnosis. The ulna or ulnar nerve does control your pinky and the outside of the hand. This is a fairly common problem. I had a doctor tell me 25 years ago if I could live with the problem that's what I needed to do, avoid surgery if possible. I think that was good advice but now 25 years later something has changed and the pinky on my left stays numb so if it continues to get worse I will consider surgery. I hope this has been some help, goodluck.
Thanks, I feel better. I thought that my finger might turn black and fall off. My husband thought it might have been a mini heart attact. I've read alot online and you say the same thing. I wonder how the nerve gets entraped?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
(male)

tx1911 HB User

I had a severe injury to the ulnar nerve (severed) in my right hand 21 years ago. The doctors were able to reconnect the nerve and I gain most of my functioning back 75-80%. Now after a couple of episodes my pinky and ringer finger are getting numb, tingling and my all my fingers are swelling and causing pain. I've had a nerve conduction test and EMG and I'm being advised the tests were normal, but no explanation for the symptoms. My doctor has given me steriods and Lyrica but neither is helping. The pain goes up my forearm and my hand feels like a balloon whether it is up, down or across my body. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey tx? have they ever done just a contrasted MRI on your c spine just to see if this problem may actually be stemming right from the very 'base' of operations so to speak? anytime there are problems within the hand/ fingers, that HAS to kind of be 'tracked" all the way back up the arm to the level of spinal nerve base. this just would show whether or not something is affecting the nerve or nerves up there or along the way if checked with the EMG/NCV too. believe me, you can actually have a perfectly normal EMG study done all the way up to the c spine and still have some level of real problems up in that c spine. i had some intermittant type of the basic radiculopathic types of symptoms with some very severe pain going on in my fingers and in my neck/shoulder area. when certain types of real spinal issues are present but not symptomatic at the time of the test,(the tech told me this before my EMG was done) you can end up with a completely normal test result. that test will ONLY show very real impairment of nerve flow or a compression that impairs nerve flow and not much else. thats really about all that particular test is really good for,checking for nerve flow velocity/flow to an area.

so just obtaining a good contrasted type of MRI of where the nerves actually start really may show a much bigger issue. it just needs to be thoroughly checked out at this point when just considering all of your current symptoms.

now jamie? the sensory nerve that innervates that pinkie and the outter side of that finger as was already stated above IS that ulnar nerve up from the c 8 nerve level in your c spine on down to that finger. but the side of that ring finger, just the side closest to that pinkie only is also included as innervation from that ulnar too. are you feeling ANY sensory issue within that finger at all anywhere on that one side only? a nerve can become entrapped at certain places along the path it travels from that c 8 on down too. one common area is at that crease at the back of the elbow? or even within that shoulder area since it also passes thru there too. but as i mentioned above, it can also be impacted way up in that spinal level too by many different possibilitys that can just be going on in any spinal area. things like larger bulges of discs, stenosis or boney overgrowths like bone spurs(osteophytes) are just some of the possibles.

as already mentioned by the above poster, just obtaining that EMG from that hand/finger level all the way up to that c spine level would actually show just where the possible impacted area is located. if this is a constant thing that is always there, it WOULD show an abnormal EMG exactly where it is, but only if that area is being impacted at the time of the test. its just how it works. but it wouldn't hurt to also obtain a contrasted MRI too just to see if there is any real involvement up in that c spine level too. it really IS just a matter of trying to track that impaired area to the area of impact. just so you know,while we DO definitely have an actual c 8/ulnar nerve up there, its the only nerve that does NOT have its own vertebrae. its just kind of hangin out there between the c 7 and T 1 nerves/vertebraes. but it still manages to become pretty easily impacted for some reason. i also have damage to my c 8 too.

but DO see your doc soon so you can be referred for that EMG and the MRI just to see whats affecting what and where. do you feel ANY strange sensory or muscle issues on the inner side of your forearm at all or anywhere up that arm? i hope this is not a major type issue here for you, but DO see your doc to get the ball rolling towards a real Dxc of whats being impacted and where. good luck to the both of you with your nerve problems. please keep me posted on anything you find out. marcia

Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
(female)

Moore1denise HB User

I also have numbness in my pinky finger for over a week and half of the finger close to it. I could not button my pants and can not do the things as simple and hold my clients hair. I am really getting worried can some one help me.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

Feelbad is right, you need to find out the actual cause. I had C8 nerve damage from a vertebra pushed into my spinal cord by a fall, injured at the C7-T1 level. My right pinky and ring finger were numb and very weak. After surgery to correct the spinal cord impingement, my strength in the fingers has improved greatly with PT, but due to nerve damage, I still have tingling, etc.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
(male)

mcoop214 HB User

Hi. My name is Mike and I stumbled across your post concerning Cubit Tunnel Pinched Nerve. Did you ever recover and if so, how? I know it's been awhile. I have been experiencing it for about 40 days. I'm looking for answers. Thank you fro your time.

Closed Thread