It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Vitamins that help Neuropathy

Are there any vitamins that anyone knows of that may help with neuropathy in the feet? Has anyone tried Apha Lipoic Acid and did it help. I want to try every avenue I can before ever resorting to drugs. The side effects I read about are very scary!!

Thanks

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: Vitamins that help Neuropathy

I have tried alpha lipioc acid but had a rare reaction to it, broke out in a severe rash so i changed the stronger newer version R - lipoic acid, i found it helped with the burning, also thiamine 100 mg x 3 a day also helped with the burning.
Some people with diabetic neuropathy find GLA [ gamma-linolenic acid ] 480 mg daily also helps their neuropathy.
B12 [ methylcobalamin] is also helpfull for some people, not everyone is the same though, whilst these might help some might not help others.

Do you know the cause of your nerve damage ?

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Hi Aussie

Thanks for responding. I just started taking 300 mg of alpha lipoic acid twice a day about a week ago. Don't notice any difference yet. The nerve damage I have was caused by mortons neuroma foot surgery May 2008. What I am experiencing I am told is scar tissue rubbing against a nerve. I don't have burning or even " pain", What it feels like is more like a numb, pins & needles annoying type feeling on ball of foot. My pod says it is a type of neuropathy (even though I am not diabetic) since it is effecting the nerves in my foot.

I am not at all ready to go on any drugs that have been known to cause even other problems. That is why I am searching out other means. I had heard that the b vitamins could also help. My pod recommended 2 books for me to read which I have ordered on line. They are entitled Numb Toes & Aching Soles: coping with peripheral neuropathy and also Nutrients for Neuropathy. The author is John A. Senneff. They deal with vitamins as well as other ways of treating the problem besides drugs. I haven't read the books yet, since they haven't been delivered yet, but I am anxious to start reading them. They have very good reviews. What is your neuropathy caused from?

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 11-13-2009 at 11:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancinboots For This Useful Post:
mzbreze82 (04-29-2012)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Mine was caused by prediabetes & low in B12, it is healed these days but did take 5 years to regenerate the nerves.
Nerves do take a long time to heal once the cause has been stopped completely and when they are trying to reconnect you can have the very same symptoms as when they were being damaged, it is hard to tell the differance for many months into the regeneration period.

B vitamins are essentional for nerve health, a multi B supplement is a good idea, but just be carefull of the amount of B6 in a multi B as it can be toxic to the nerves and cause more problems, B12 in the form of Methylcobalamin [ 1-5 mg daily ] can help the healing process and is non toxic in mega amounts.

good luck

Aussie

The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie100 For This Useful Post:
sconzette (11-27-2012)
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

chucksusanb HB User

Thanks for this post. I appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi Dancinboots I've read alot of your posts regarding your mortons neuroma journey.
They have been very helpful. I see that you have neuropathy now also. My surgery was Dec. 30th. I was dx a couple days ago by a neurologist with peroneal neuropathy and foot drop. I have the pins and needles feeling 24/7 but also I have the sharp pain, and the lacerating pain(feels llike my foot is ripping open ughh) I was prescribed lyrica I went to pick up the script today and almost fell over after my insurance coverage it was $140.00 for a month supply ouchh, My pain keeps me up at night or will wake me from a dead sleep. I was wondering where you heard about the alpha lupoic acid is it over the counter or prescription? are they vitamins? I never heard of it before. But I am up for anything at this point. And I am so thankful you started the post about mortons neuroma these message boards are really a great support when people are scared, worried, or not well informed about their situation. good luck with the alpha lupoic acids.
Kelly

Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Have just started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. 600mg daily recommended dose. It's an over the counter health product and reputed to be generally beneficial. It's an anti-oxident. I am a cynic but have heard good reports and will try anything!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Kelly - You may want to ask your dr for Gabapentin (generic for Neurotin) rather than Lyrica as it is a cheap med that is similar to Lyrica. Gabapentin has worked for me. I get a lot of interesting feedback in our local neuropathy support group, and for some Lyrica works best and for others Gabapentin works best, so why not try the cheap one first. Gabapentin will make you very sleepy at first, but eventually your body gets used to it and that effect subsides. As to Alpha Lipoic Acid, that will not help the pain but may help heal the nerves. My neurologist says there is scientific evidence that indicates it has helped heal nerves in some people. I've taken it for a few months now (1200 mg/day) and haven't noticed any improvement (in fact the numbness in my hands has increased) but I forgot to ask my dr how long I should try it to see if it works for me. I assume it would take many months so plan on taking it for quite awhile and will check with the dr on length of time at my next visit. I assume your neurologist has checked for any B12 or other nutritional deficiency that may have caused the neuropathy. Good luck. Ruby

Old 03-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Ruby did you notice any side effects from the 1200mg a day ALA dose please? Are you also taking a B1 supplement to offset the ALA? Hope you don't mind my asking but you read conflicting reports re supplements.
Celia

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Ruby, The therapeutic dose for Neurontin(Gabapentin) is 1800-2400mg so if you are not getting relief after being on it after several months, you might want to ask your doctor to keep increasing it until you do get relief. This is the way Lyrica and Neurontin are normally prescribed. Increased little by little till you get the relief you need but of course falling into the therapeutic dose range. At 1200 a day, you are under this range. Good Luck everyone!!....janiee

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Celia - I didn't notice any side effects from taking the ALA at 1200 mg/day. My doctor didn't mention that it would have any affect on B1 or any B vitamin levels, and regarding you asking about B1, on the blood tests I just had, my B1 levels are actually high rather than low.

Janiee - As to Gabapentin, I only take 600 mg a day and that has provided relief for me. I started out on Gabapentin a year ago at 100 mg 4 times a day and a few months ago upped the level because I was having trouble with itching all over, which the upped dosage has taken care of.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
(male)

Chico Holistic HB User

Having Peripheral Neuropathy myself from Diabetes and specializing in treating the disorder as well, it has been my experience that rather "high" doses of the B vitamins help with nerve health and conductivity. And, for "burning" of the hands or feet, like doses of Alpha Lipoic Acid help to reduce burning - especially, when accompanied with something like Neuromuscular Stimulation. B12 should be taken in injection form, or at least in sublingual form. Pill form has been found to be not as "efficient" as hoped for. However, one wants to make sure that with vitamins such as B6, one doesn't take too much of, as it can actually CAUSE some neuropathy. Whereas we tend to go with ones height and weight, we can say generally 300 or so mg tends to help greatly. We do know of a clinic, however, which treats with 10 times that amount. B1, also, needs to be limited - but, is very important to nerve health; as none of us "eat" as well as we think we might any more. Nutrition simply is not in most of our "processed" foods. So, issues such as "Dry Beri Beri" (which is a B1 deficiency) are on the upswing. Being B1 deficient certainly causes Peripheral Neuropathy symptoms. One should speak with a nutritionist regarding proper doses of any supplement as well as their physician. In the case of Alpha Lipoic Acid, we personally like it with Acetyl L-Carnitine as well. ALA will help with the "burning" sometimes involved with the Peripheral Neuropathy. However, in severe cases, we sometimes like to refer to a physician or clinic whom can give "infusions" of Alpha Lipoic Acid - which helps all the better. Again, ask your Neuropathist or Neurologist for information on reducing your pain. One word of caution, however, we do tend to "shy away" from drugs which simply "hide or mask" the discomfort. Yes, they can make one "feel better," but they don't address the cause of the issue. Again, listen to your doctor for best results. If you don't like his/her answers, seek a second or third or more opinion until you find what works for you! There are over 100 different kinds of Neuropathy out there and just as many reasons for it. There is no "one" simple answer or treatment which works for everyone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico Holistic For This Useful Post:
j52l80l (10-20-2012), June89 (08-24-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB User

My painful neuropathy in my feet according to my podiatrist could have been caused by low B-12 have read that many other places too. I had low B-12 and have been taking B-12 injections for over a year and my B-12 is up but to no relief of the neuropathy. I read about the ALA and have just started on that. Will let you know how that works out. I had also read about Low level light therapy and have an appointment to see a doctor regarding this treatment on Monday 5/7/12. I feel like I have tried everything. TENS machine which is some kind of electric thingy with a therapist who got me one - it works while you have it on but so does a cold foot bath and the foot bath is easier. Nerve block worked while it was blocked when feeling came back so did the pain. Dr had said the nerve block worked for some people for a period of time and maybe one or two a year - not for me.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB User

Low Level Light therapy - 3 X week for 6 weeks did no good. Worked like tens machine - while it was happening it gave some relief. Have been taking the ALA no joy. Read on health boards under diabetes the l-carnitine relieved some womans neuropathy pain. Researched on ***** and it stated Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) May Aid Symptoms From Diabetic Nerve Damage. Will try that next and also probably accupuncture which they state may also help. Also, I am up to 1800mg on the gabapentin it also provides little joy.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #15
(female)

jens1061 HB User

Well it all sounds just too exciting... Life is all about pain management and no cures!
My PN is caused by a Monoclonal Gammopathy, which is an abnormal protein in my blood that was diagnosed 7 years ago but I was never advised it causes neuropathy...until just recently. About to go onto a new drug regime but I dont have much confidence. Have tried Lyrica, now on Endep and either Neurontin or Tegratol apparently...I have been trying to cope with the pain in my feet for 7 years and only just now have a diagnosis!!

Closed Thread