It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
(male)

oklakid1 HB User
sharp pain in left side of neck

what can i do to reduce the pain in my neck, the pain is so brutal its almost hard to handle, i have to keep my neck tilted to the right, as soon as i lift it straight or tilt it to the left, the pain is something i have never felt before, what can i do to ease the pain????

Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: sharp pain in left side of neck

do you actually even know just why you are even having this pain at all? have you had at least an MRI done on that c spine area within the neck just to really kind of "see' into that spinal area for potential herniations, bone spurring or other problems that just can happen anywhere in our spinal areas? this would be my first guess as to the possible underlying reason. you might get some better responses on the spinal boards down below in the "s' section? but probably better if you get that MRI first. if you do not actually know just what the underlying reason is for any pain, you really cannot treat it all that well. and some situations just may require some level of surgery too. that is the reason the MRI is just truely needed. just what if any other real symptoms are you displaying other than the neck pain? any pain or numbness in any fingers or electrical type sensations running down either arm? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
(male)

oklakid1 HB User

i was lifting weights and as i lifted 80lb dumbells i felt a sharp piercing pain in my neck, and then it started to spasm, about every 5 to 10 minutes, brutal spasms, i made it to the hospital where i waited 3 hours to be seen, i had 2 injections in my left arm and 2 injections in my left buttox, it made me drowsy but did not stop the pain.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if this was me, i would most definietly be getting that MRI done on your c spine area. you could have actually blown a disc up there or even had some level of pre existing problem that ONLY became apparent when you just 'triggered" it in there. whenever a spinal nerve is 'angry' or inflammed by something, it can create alot of huge muscle issues like the severe spasming you had. that was kind of over the top with the level of severity it sounded like it went into for you. but looking deeper into that spinal area just really should be done at this point. my herniations also came from alot of lifting i used to do in the course of my job. i would just try and get the MRI done first just to get an idea of what is or is not a real underlying problem in there. depending upon the overall results, that would kind of really dictate what any next steps should be from there, ya know? please let me know just what you find out. marcia

Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
(male)

oklakid1 HB User

I have an mri, ct scan set for this sunday, they are thinking maybe a herniated disc in my upper spine, but will find out sunday,thank you for talking to me about this, where are you from??

Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

i am from mn, kinda under you up there,lol? but i am glad they are at least doing the MRI. why are they doing both an MRI AND a CT? the MRI with contrast is usually the only thing needed, but on the other hand, certain things do actually show better(solid boney structures like the vertebraes?) on a CT vs MRI. at least they are thorough. if anything is out of the norm up in that c spine, between these two types of tests, it would almost certainly show itself. so thats good.

i hope this is not anything major and some PT may be all thats needed for you. but please let me know just what you find out,K? and make certain to also request a copy of the radiology report after the rad does the interpretation of your films(ask them when you are there if you can have them simply send a copy to your home. i do this all the time with my many MRIs). you can usually obtain copys of your films for you to use when seeing any docs, BUT as far as getting that rad report goes, you wont be hearing about those results for at least around four to five days. this is only because a radiologist has to actually read your films in order to even DO that report. and that just takes a few days then it gets sent to the ordering doc who sent you for the MRI.

but get your very own copy of that report so you just have it and then you can also just post whatever turns up in that summary at the very end as any hard findings right here so i can see it too. good luck, Marcia

Closed Thread