It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

nikkitoffee HB User
accident

Hiya

3 Weeks ago I was in a car accident and my legs were crushed. As a result I hace foot drop in my right leg. I have no feeling on the outside of my leg and no movement in my ankle and foot.
My Physio said I'm looking at 12 months to recover and even then I might not be 100%!
I'm really upset, especially as I cannot drive and wondered how you got around this.

Thanks

Nikki

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 3

Hi Nikkitoffee,

Welcome to the message boards...I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and will try to tell you about myself in the hope that it will help you too. Last December I broke my leg and as a result I developed drop foot of the right leg...it would have to be the right leg, you know...anyway, I couldn't move my foot very much at first, but as time progressed I was able to move it to the inside and down as well. After about 5 months with no further improvement, I consulted a neurosurgeon who diagnosed a compression of the peroneal nerve. We waited a little while longer for some more movement to return, but it didn't, so I had decompression surgery to release the nerve...really it was not a big deal at all, and I left the hospital the same day...

With the help of this surgery and the passage of time, I have been able to move my foot to the outside and now more than halfway upwards, and I'm thrilled to be regaining function. To tell you the truth, I didn't drive for a long time, since healing from my injury took quite a long time ...but I'm driving now, and that's the important thing...as I said before in the post below, the best place to do research on drop foot (peroneal neuropathy) are New York University Medical Center and the Columbia University Neurological Institute...from my experience, neurosurgeons rather than neurologists are the best doctors to treat this condition.

My best wishes for your speedy healing, and if you have any questions, just post again. I know how you feel about the driving aspect of your injury because I went through the same feelings myself. No matter how I imagined driving, I just couldn't envision it to be possible at all...but I did get around it because I started to heal, and hopefully you will too...take care...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
(female)

nikkitoffee HB User

Tanya

Thank you so much for your reply. Your comments have made me feel alot more positive and gives me hope that I will recover even if it is slow. (Thats better than nothing at all)!

Thanks again.

Nikki

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User

Nikki,

You're very welcome...although it seems as if everything will take a long time to happen from where you are now, when you look back on this in another year or so, it won't seem that long at all...

Please keep in touch and post from time to time to let me know how you are doing...and if you have any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer them...take care and feel better...

Tanya

Closed Thread