It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
(male)

kippa10 HB User
no further treatment planned for me

Hiya guys.

There is no physio or further treatment planned for me, im going back to see my surgeon in a month and thats all. The best way I can describe my situation now would be if you held your hand out infront of you (the back of your hand facing you) and tilted the right side of your hand down slightly (so the thumb side gets higher) then that is the position of my foot. So, although the ankle is at 90 degrees because the right hand side of my right foot drops down a little then the right hand side of my foot hits the floor at the same time as my heel. so the striking of my foot on the ground is heel and right hand side of the foot at the same time and then rocks left slightly afterwards so the whole foot is on the ground. This isnt ideal as it isnt stable enough. I can press the foot down slightly (and i mean slightly) but that is all, I cant dorsi flex at all of course.

Graeme - you sound like you've had great success by the sounds of it? what surgery did you have done in the end?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 2

Kippa - Sounds like I'm in a similar position to you (but without the sloping) and had a similar procedure done. I can't dorsiflex and the doc says it might come with time or it might not. Been almost 2 weeks since I got the cast off and no sign of any movement yet so not really getting my hopes up. Still limping a bit, even with the splint on. You happy with your result?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User

Hi Graeme,

Everything is set for Thursday and the operation is really a simple one from what I understand. All they're going to do is free the nerve, which the doctor believes became compressed during my fracture surgery. This will give my peroneal nerve and the nerve sheath the opportunity to heal on it's own...may or may not work, and it will be several weeks before I know anything. This surgery is only attempted when the problem can be traced to a specific area, and I just happen to be a candidate...This is the least invasive of all the surgeries and it tries to address the nerve function directly. If it doesn't help, then I can consider the surgery like you had somewhere down the line...

I noticed in your post to kippa that you said that you couldn't dorsiflex...since your foot is already at about 90 degrees, I'm assuming that you can't push your foot downward...is that correct? Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you're doing so well, and you've certainly earned a few days in the sun...and don't worry about your scars...my leg is starting to look like a road map...

I'll let you know how it all went as soon as I can...have to keep your trainers /sneakers in mind as well...are yours just regular sneakers, or are they high tops that come up past the ankle?

Feel better...

Tanya

Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User

Hi Kippa,

Thanks for letting me know about the movement of your foot in such detail...I seem to have a different problem than you and Graeme, since I can push down really strong and can also invert my foot as well...can also lift it up about an inch and a half, and evert to the outside about 3 inches, but that's it...when you say that you can't dorsiflex...move the foot upward...how could you do this anyway if your foot is almost at 90 degrees? I guess there are a few different versions of foot drop and I really find the whole thing kind of confusing...

In an attempt to remedy my weird version of foot drop, I'm having surgery on Thursday to release the nerve...I'll keep you posted, and in the meantime, take care and feel better...

Best,

Tanya

Closed Thread