It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

kippa10 HB User
not comfortable in walking shoes

Not 100% happy with my result to be honest but I didnt go into it expecting a miracle cure. However, it certainly is a vast improvement and allows me to move around much quicker at home when im not wearing the afo. The whole of my lower leg swells up amazingly when i am walking on it or have vertical for a length of time, its been 2 weeks since the cast came off and doesnt seem to be improving greatly, it will get there eventually i suppose.

Tanya when i damaged my peroneal nerve the foot drop meant i could press down and move my foot inwards, but not up and outwards. now ive had the tendon transfer the foot is (almost) 90 degrees i can still press down against the new tendons that have been transfered, this gives some slight movement, i can also still move it inwards. Is prior to the op i still cant move it up or out. Hopefully your nerve will heal itself as it sounds 'pinched' as opposes to seriously damaged. I remember when i was rushed in to hospital off the soccer pitch when i did my injury to have the knee ligaments repaired, my surgeon noted that my peroneal nerve 'looked like a train had run over it then a dog had chewed'!!. I swear those were his exact words!!

graeme - is your ankle solid enough when you walk bare foot now without the afo? when i walk and get to the stage where i bring my 'bad' foot through ready to make contact with the floor i can almost feel it dropping slightly before being 'caught' by the new tendon transfers. this makes it feel pretty unstable.

Andi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 2

Hi Kippa10...

Thanks for explaining you condition in such detail to me...now I understand what is actually happening...actually it's a lot like mine, except that I have some slight movement upward and outward. Come to think of it, I can also move my toes up slightly as well. I can walk around without my AFO without really raising my leg very much at all...I just have to be careful. As I walk I can get just enough upward-outward lift without tripping over myself. At least your doctor got a look at your peroneal nerve...I had surgery to my femur bone (thigh) and when I woke up, I had drop foot. I never had any outward injury to the knee area at all ???

It took a lot of testing to pinpoint the problem to my knee, since originally it was thought to be coming from my upper leg. I hope the surgery helps, but there are no guarantees...perhaps there is too much damage for the nerve to heal, but this surgery will at least give it a chance...I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I'll keep you posted, and since my surgery is tomorrow, wish me luck

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
(male)

kippa10 HB User

I really dont feel comfortable walking with shoes and without my afo, it feels too unstable and slightly dropped still. Graeme, when you walk without your afo does your heel strike the floor first? I dont think my surgeon has lifted my foot up enough before fixing the tendons.

I am walking with my afo all the time its the only way i feel confident and can walk at a pace i am satisfied with. I am 16 weeks post op now (had the cast on for 12 weeks) and in the afternoons after spending time on it it swells up pretty bad. Although the swelling is getting less and less.

Andi.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

hi andi

I would say it is noticeably easier to walk without about the house for example without the AFO. I just walked about to try to see if I was still lifting the knee/flicking my ankle like before. I dont think as much but it's hard to tell without a full-length mirror. My missus said she watched me walking to the pub the other day after she dropped me off and thought I was walking a lot better. It certainly isnt as tiring as before.

I wore different shoes to work today (pretty much all-black trainers!) and found it a lot easier, even without the AFO. So that was a breakthrough. Regarding the heel strike, I would say I'm still putting the foot down pretty flat although I find if I take a bigger stride than normal it works better and I can walk at a decent pace, even without the AFO. Like you, I seem to still get quite a bit of swelling after walking on it for any length of time.

Overall, would you say you were happy/unhappy with the procedure? Best case scenario I was hoping for more movement so I could drive normally again, go back to playing football etc but I cant see that happening now. Worst case scenario was that the op didnt work at all. So we are somewhere in the middle. It sounds ridiculous but just being able to go on holiday and not have to wear the splint with shorts will be a major breakthrough.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
(male)

kippa10 HB User

Graeme - How you desrcibe your situation is exactly how i would describe my own with regards to the walking. I guess i like wearing the afo as it just makes it easier i guess. By the way i bet your missus wasnt so complimentary on your walking on the way BACK from the pub!!!

I guess i am happy about it to be honest. Like you all i really wanted was when on holiday to be able to walk around afo-less. Incidentally i am flying out to majorca this evening for a weeks sun, sea and sangria ! so i cant wait to put it into practice. Its strange I could literally copy your latest post change the name on the bottom to Andi and post that as a reflection of my feelings/hopes etc. You speak wise words mate.

I never expected to be able to get back to the footy but on the other hand the golf handicap has certainly improved on the back of that!

Ive got a consultation with my local primary care trust (PCT) in a couple of weeks and hopefully they will agree to purchase the SAFO for me, so if its free im gonna give it a shot.

Tanya - it is my right foot, i really dont have a problem driving. I always wear the afo when doing so however.

Right guys im off to pack my shorts and head off for the airport . Ill speak to you soon.

Andi.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User

Hi Andi...have a good time on your vacation and enjoy yourself...fun, sun, and sangria sounds wonderful. I was just wondering what kind of AFO you have, insofar as you can drive...I haven't tried driving yet, so I don't know what will or won't work...do you wear a plain plastic AFO, a hinged AFO, or one of the new carbon things...thanks for the info...

Best,
Tanya

Closed Thread