It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
(female)

RebeccaG HB User
severe sciatic nerve palsy

I have had drop since right total hip replacement on 9/11/07. A neurologist has diagnosed me with severe sciatic nerve palsy after performing a nerve conduction study and a partial EMG. None of the nerves in my lower leg provided any response at all during the tests. I have been in a custom-fit plastic AFO since Thanksgiving and am about to be fit with a new AFO that will keep my ankle at a 90 degree angle and I'm not too thrilled about that. My gait is horrible no matter how much I concentrate on walking properly. My ankle is bending inward and outward as I step which is causing a lot of pain. My knee is doing some of the same and together, I sound like creaky stairs with every step so I understand the need for a more restrictive AFO.

I've been told about the Dellon Institute in Baltimore and have contacted them. Luckily, they have a doctor in Dallas which is 4-5 hours from me. They use a device called a PSSD, Pressure-Specific Sensory Device (I believe), to see if a nerve is dying or regenerating. The retractor used during my hip replacement stretched my sciatic nerve so we are fairly sure the problem is in my hip.

There has been no change at all in my motor or sensory function since waking up in the recovery room and that has discouraged all of my doctors. I'm at the point of accepting it but with all of the constant pains in my lower leg, I'd like to know if there is some regeneration going on or if the pains are signalling the death of my nerves. I swear, sometimes my lower leg feels like a pinball machine and it's getting harder and harder to live my life. I have been driving since Thanksgiving though and while it is difficult and painful, I'm hoping that I never have to give that up. I will NOT wind up in a scooter which has been suggested by my neurologist. If it gets to that point later in life, I'm thinking I'll beg someone to amputate and fit me with a prosthesis.

Do any of y'all have any thoughts on all of this? I'd really love to hear opinions and/or information that I might use to further my research on this.

Thanks,
Rebecca in Texas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
(female)

RebeccaG HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 2

I have a couple of things to add and they're actually quite possibly more important than what I stated above. I wound up having a second surgery at the implant site 2 1/2 weeks after the hip replacement because I had a staph infection. I wonder if I might have scar tissue that is impeding the nerve regeneration. I also have a lipoma (sp?) in that area that my OS knew about prior to surgery. I have what looks like a mountain range on my hip now and there is significant pain there. I'm wondering if it's worth it to find a surgeon who will go in surgically to take a look at the nerve itself.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Rebecca in Texas

Closed Thread