It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

Brainalley HB User
doctors refuse to be open and honest

I am trying to understand why the doctors refuse to be open and honest with their patients. I had a THR last Sept. 2008 with the promise of dancing in a month. I knew something was wrong almost immediately because my left leg now turns inward. The THR was a result of an auto accident in 2007. I had six months of PT which did little good. When I returned to the surgeon last spring he ordered an AFO and PT. The AFO only caused more harm with my toes curling under and the brace going in one direction and my foot turning toward the left. I am getting ready to do an EMG test to find out what real damage was done-I didn't have this before the THR. I am in NYC and will have my insurance in place by Nov. 09-what doctors and hospitals deal with this through corrective surgery???? HELP@@@@@@@@@

Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

Tanya8 HB UserTanya8 HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot! 3

Hi Brainalley---it's difficult to know from your description exactly what is interfering with your ability to walk. Do you need an AFO to walk because your foot turns inward, or do you need an AFO because you cannot dorsiflex, or lift up your foot when you walk. If you cannot lift up your foot when you walk, then this is called drop foot. If you do have drop foot, since you are already in NYC,the best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with either New York-Presbyterian Hospital or Columbia University Medical Center ---you can look them up on the Internet.

I'm not a medical professional and can't give you medical advice, but if you can't lift up your foot, this points to a problem somewhere along the nerve running from the spine to the foot. My particular problem was at the knee and known as peripheral nueropathy. Also, if you can, it would be best for you to find a neurosurgeon as part of your medical team. Neurologists are fine for testing, but neurosurgeons DO! Also, when it was necessary for me to wear an AFO, I found the plastic variety horrible. I was able to get around much better and was a lot less uncomfortable when I started using a carbon brace called the Walk-on by Otto Bock. Perhaps this will help you as well. In any case, I hope you feel better soon---Tanya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

Brainalley HB User

Yes, I have drop foot resulting from the surgery. None of the braces work for me because my left foot turns inward toward the left and the brace and shoe go to the right. I have an appt with the DOc. in DEc. for an EMG and hopefully decompression and or tendon transfer. I am going to Special Surgery for the EMG and to see a Neurologist. The nerve pain is terrible....

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainalley View Post
Yes, I have drop foot resulting from the surgery. None of the braces work for me because my left foot turns inward toward the left and the brace and shoe go to the right. I have an appt with the DOc. in DEc. for an EMG and hopefully decompression and or tendon transfer. I am going to Special Surgery for the EMG and to see a Neurologist. The nerve pain is terrible....
Brainalley--I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. and yes, I also felt this terrible pain, which made me want to climb the walls . Although vitamin B6 doesn't help everyone, I did find that it took the edge off of the pain when it was very bad. Fortunately in my case, the pain did lessen considerably in time, and I hope you also follow the same path towards recovery. In the meantime, there are certain medications which can lessen your discomfort such as Lyrica and others, and your physician should be able to guide you in this area.

From what you've related in your posts, it seems that you have both an orthopedic and and a neurological problem, and that's a very difficult situation to be in. Special Surgery is the very best orthopedic hospital in NY state and the entire country, but my information about the neurological aspect of your medical issues still stands. For the best possible outcome in your particular situation, you should investigate further! By the way, the problem that I had was called peroneal neuropathy and not peripheral neuropathy, as I stated in a previous post.

As for the AFO / shoe issue, in one way or another, everyone with drop foot has difficulties in this area--it's just a matter of finding some crazy combination that works just for you. The Otto Bock Carbon brace is completely flat and does not surround or compress the foot in any way, so even if your foot turns inward, the brace would permit it to do so, while still supporting your heel and ankle and as much of the foot that stayed on the brace. The other half of this combination is the shoe, of course, and I found a totally elastic shoe by Orthofeet a perfect combination with the Otto Bock Brace. Both items are on the Internet, and perhaps there is some remote chance that this combination would work for you too,

The very best of luck to you in December and wishes for a full recovery and relief from pain---Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 10-11-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

Brainalley HB User

Thanks Tanya8, I am allergic to almost every drug under the sun...all codeine based drugs, all serotonin drugs, Zofran, Prozac, they make me hyperactive. On top of that I am asthmatic. I looked up Lyrica and I rolled over from the side effects. So all these type of drugs are out for me. I have a high tolerance to pain killers and have no problem going off of them cold without any withdrawal. I don't drink alcohol or do recreational drugs.I was on anti-inflammatory drugs for years in the 1990's and they burnt out my stomach. Since then I take on one Relafen a day to coat my stomach so I can eat. I was on hydromorphone 2mg. for 4 months after surgery during my PT. The PT was not helpful at all and after 4 months I still could not raise my leg knee high enough to walk. I stopped all the pain killers for 7 months. During that time I tried to walk every day with a walker. The walker was unsuccessful as it caused my ankle to twist. I then went onto the AFO brace which ended up weakening my right ankle. I did this at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. They told me that some people have a problem with the AFO brace and if it weakens the other ankle then it will never work. So now I am using a Travel folding wheelchair. Where did you do the nerve decompression which hospital? Special Surgery or New York-Presbyterian Hospital, also the EMG testing????. I need to be surgically fixed because the bracing cannot ever work for me. The pain came back after I used the AFO brace and since then I am taking one hydromorphone a week which stops all the pain, nerve spasms, etc. I just was at DSW and found shoes by BORN which fit my twisted left foot.

I am a former shoe designer and it is clear none of the people designing the AFO braces have any experience in making shoes. It is ridiculous to design a brace that does not support the entire foot creating a proper foundation. The Otto Bock brace looks better but I found no reason at least in my case to have all that extra plastic up my calf-very uncomfortable- It should stop at the height of an ankle boot. My calves are all muscle-they do not need that extra support.

It was very disappointing to learn that there is a standard of care for drop foot after Total Hip Replacement - The doctor is required to send the patient for an EMG, not just give them an AFO brace. I spoke with Dr. Nath's office in Texas and his office told me because the doctor had not ordered the EMG after 4 months, that now a year later his procedure will not work-that I should go for the decompression and a tendon transfer. These are the only procedures that have any chance of working. This is called medical negligence.

I do believe that this is the basis for a class-action lawsuit for drop foot. So anyone interested, please email me.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Brainalley---I know what you mean about medications, since I also experienced unpleasant side effects. That’s why I eventually relied on Vitamin B6, which was helpful for me. EMG testing is a pretty standard protocol and can be done anywhere---I had mine done locally. Just make sure they test everything, especially those tests which point to problems at the knee and below. I can’t mention where I had my decompression surgery, but as I stated before in a previous post, just make sure that you are evaluated by a neurosurgeon, and not just a neurologist. There is quite a difference in their approach to paralysis and nerve issues.

As for the Otto Bock Walk On Brace, unfortunately you can’t see a lot by just looking at the pictures on the Internet. The reason the brace goes up the leg past the ankle is because it works by gentle leverage to lift the foot. The added length to the calf results in good support without putting pressure on the ankle / foot area. The thin piece going up the leg in back is made of very light carbon, not plastic, and it is flexible and hardly noticeable while being worn. The part that fastens around the calf is made of soft padded fabric and adjustable Velcro and is also not plastic. I was able to wear it during the hottest summer days without a problem. Since you are in NYC, there are many fine prosthetic establishments to choose from---the only way to find out if a brace will work for you is to see it in person and try it on.

The best of luck to you and take care---Tanya

Last edited by Tanya8; 10-10-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

Brainalley HB User

Thank you Tanya8-

I feel like I have a knot in the crease of my left knee. I can move my big toe up and down and my foot from side to side but my 3 last left toes only move up and my ankle is very weak. Did you get your EMG at Columbis? I am 12 months past surgery and I am thankful I did not push myself and cause any further damage. The wheelchair is a temporary foot saver it seems...thanks so much

Last edited by Administrator; 11-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Closed Thread