It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

yellowdog99 HB User
nerve damage from flu shot

hi all, sorry about all lower case typing but only have one uesful hand. i'm here because last tuesday i had my seasonal flu shot as i have had for at least a decade. i started having neck pain shortly there after which then progressed into my shoulder and arm with numbness in the hand and fingers. i have almost no function of the arm and constant horrible pain that is barely controlled by nsaids and oxy contin. so as it turns out i'm one of those rare cases that has had an adverse reaction to the flu shot......actually probably the placement of the needle is the cause. the whole thing is a bit scary because i'm not capable of caring for myself and i live alone with just a big yellow dog here with me. i'm fortunate that i have great friends and neighbours who help care for me and a boyfriend who is wonderful but i have only been with him for 2 months and wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided this was too much for him. i am in line to see a neuro, and get an mri and nerve study but i am canadian and all these things could take many months with the way our health care system works. being i am self employed i also have no disibility benefits or insurance coverage to help with therapy. i started therapy today and at this point he is only going to do accupuncture and traction because i'm too painful for anything else. i would love to here from others in a similar situation for pointers and tips......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

Goldster HB User
Re: nerve damage from flu shot

I'm curious how you are doing now. I'm going thru the exact same thing - also they think it was needle placement into a nerve. Thank goodness b/c I scared myself to death looking up stuff on the Internet and reading about GBS. Got the shot on Monday and went to the Dr almost in tears today. I'm on muscle relaxers, steroids and heat. I can say it is so much better later this evening so I'm hopeful for a pretty quick recovery.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

yellowdog99 HB User

i am now going into my 4th week off work. been diagnosed by a neurologist as having parsonage-turner syndrome which was likely caused by the vaccine rather than the needle.i am improving very slowly.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
(female)

Goldster HB User

I'm glad you are improving but I'm so sorry it ended up being PTS. I'm remaining optimistic in my case. Arm felt great today ( as in sore but not extreme) but as the evening goes on I'm back on the heating pad and it is hurting. Nothing like it was though and I do have most of my range of motion back. I'm thinking it's because I'm being weened off the steroids. Hoping you recovery quickly and fully!

Last edited by Goldster; 12-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

The flu shot is extremely dangerous and non effective and why on earth would you get a shot for a virus that is not even dangerous for you to get, the way to prevent getting the flu is from NATURAL IMMUNITY!!!!!!!!! The fact that the general public will listen to ANYTHING a doctor tells them is pathetic; seeing as how these people you place in charge of the well being of your child have MAJOR monetary gains from the things they are recommending for you and your children and FAIL to mention to you the side effects. And the side effects, in a lot of cases are much worse than the symptom you originally experienced. You can argue your head off but all your doing is being ignorant and the only reason I'm here is to open one persons mind to the fact that a MOTHER is a child's best doctor, you are around them ALL the time, not your DR, YOU know when somethings seriously wrong. And you have to understand that a child will recover on their own from almost ALL illnesses, thats how they become immune to them in the future. GETTING SICK IS PART OF LIFE!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
(male)

mikerain HB User

PTS has been described following a swine flu shot but you had "seasonal"?
my co-worker had the same but recovered in 2 month.

Closed Thread