It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
(male)

oilpainter HB User
vitamin b-6

Hi all:

has any one had any results from using Vitamin B-6 to help Perepheral Neurapathy systems subside? I started about 3 weeks ago and my doctor said it could take 6 months to a year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

kangelo HB User
Re: vitamin b-6

Hi!

I started the WSN Nerve Support Formula about 7 or 8 weeks ago. I can't really tell if it's helped yet. I know I've got to give it some time. It's got all the B vits, a certan kind, I'm told, to keep the vitamins absorbed in the body, otherwise it won't do any good. I'm willing to try anything to repair the damage. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

The only vitamin B that can be be harmfull to the nerves is B6 (pyridoxine), to much can be toxic to your system and actually can cause more nerve damage.

You can get the active form of B6 is Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P5P] which is safe to use.

I would be very carefull taking the B6 (pyridoxine ] , I think there should be enough b6 in a good quality multi B vitamin, with out taking more.

I am surprised your doctor hasn't told you.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
(female)

kangelo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
The only vitamin B that can be be harmfull to the nerves is B6 (pyridoxine), to much can be toxic to your system and actually can cause more nerve damage.

You can get the active form of B6 is Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P5P] which is safe to use.

I would be very carefull taking the B6 (pyridoxine ] , I think there should be enough b6 in a good quality multi B vitamin, with out taking more.

I am surprised your doctor hasn't told you.
Aussie100, can you please tell me where your source is found so that I can speak to someone at WSN re the B vits that I'm taking. I DON'T want to harm myself, so PLEASE give me something I can point to, if you don't mind. I may have to take all this stuff individually if that's the case. I'm so glad to learn this.

Thanks much!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

I just checked out how much B6 was in WSN product website, only 2 mg each tablet so that amount wouldn't be of concern.
How ever I would be concerned if the daily amount exceeded 100 mg,that is supposed to be the daily safe limit of b6, but even so I do remember a neuropathy patient consuming less than that, by memory I think it was around 80 or 90 mg daily and they did find toxic levels of b6 after a blood test, it was taking for for a number of months if I recall right.

Sorry not allowed to post links of information on this site, but its not very hard to find it yourself, probably find all differant conflicting safe levels though, but just keep in mind that not everyone's tolerance is the same, I like to go with caution as some people can get away with what others plainly can't, just like some diabetics get neuropathy yet others with terrible control never get it.

Aussie

Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
(female)

kangelo HB User

Aussie, I appreciate the info. I will dig a little deeper and see what I can find.

I'm pretty sure I can take up to 12 capsules a day, so do you still think 24 mgs is safe?

It's amazing how we have to have so many concerns while trying to ease our pain. As if we don't have plenty to contend with already! But it could always be worse.

Thanks again, Aussie.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Yep no problems with that amount, seems pretty expensive for what you get from the WSM product, the ingrediants of WSM is no better quality than if you bought the vitamins seperatly.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
(female)

Laurie S HB User

Are you Aussie 100? I was just diagnosed W/ PN, suspected B12 deficiency. I have been told you have had some success reversing your symptoms? < edited > I am 54 years old. I'm also from OZ. Unfortunately I am tecnologically challenged and am having trouble figuring out the site. Will you write to me so I may ask you some questions? I am desperate.

Thank you Aussie.

Sincerely,

Laurie

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-28-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
(female)

kangelo HB User

Thanks much, Aussie.

So what was your cocktail that worked for you? Is there anything else I need to try? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to know. I'm determined to decrease this nerve damage!!!

And I'm making a trip to the health food store this weekend to buy these vits seperately. Now I'll need to know how many of each to take per day, so....... :-)

Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
(female)

Laurie S HB User

Do you mean B12? I have been told b6 can be toxic to nerves above a certain level?

Laurie S

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
(female)

Laurie S HB User

What coctails are you referring to? I do not find that part of the conversation, and I am interested too in repairing nerve damage. Has someone had sucess with that? If so which symptoms have been helped? is there an order to nerve repair? feet, hands, numbness, weakness, coordination? I have been suppementing with b12 oral, and the shots, Very strict mostly organic, close to macro-biotic diet,,sup0plements too but I've just been at it a month. I have not had weakness for a few weeks.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
(female)

kangelo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie S View Post
What coctails are you referring to? I do not find that part of the conversation, and I am interested too in repairing nerve damage. Has someone had sucess with that? If so which symptoms have been helped? is there an order to nerve repair? feet, hands, numbness, weakness, coordination? I have been suppementing with b12 oral, and the shots, Very strict mostly organic, close to macro-biotic diet,,sup0plements too but I've just been at it a month. I have not had weakness for a few weeks.
Laurie, Aussie and I were speaking of B6, and he was explaining to me that it can cause greater nerve damage, but it has to be a greater amount than what I'm taking. From what I've been reading, and through the kind people on this site, B6, B12, B2, folic acid, and Thiamine might be our best bet. It has to be the kind that is absorbed in the body, though, as I'm pretty sure there are kinds that aren't absorbed. I'm still learning too. Read the whole thread, meaning all 11 posts, or however many there are, and maybe you'll understand it a little better. "Google" B vitamins and nerve damage and see what you find. I wish I could help more, but maybe this will give you a start.

As far as the B12 shots, my doctor told me that they wouldn't stay in the body long enough to do any good, so that's one of the reasons I started taking the kind of B12 that "is" supposedly absorbed. I'm like you.... I don't have the time or money to play around. We want results!

Hopefully Aussie will chime in soon!

Take care. If it's any consolation, I know a lot about how you feel and how desperate you are.

Hugs!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

The best B12 is Methylcobalamin, it is already in the active form and doesn't have to be converted like B12 Cynocobalamin, by the time the body converts it you only get 1- 2% of the active form out of it, it still does work but takes a long time to build up a good storage, so the methylcobalamin is a much better choice.[ 1 -5 mg daily ] if in supplement form it should be taking on an empty stomache for max absorbtion.
Vitamin B12 needs all the other B vitamins to work the best, so a good quality Multi B every day, taking at a differant time is helpfull.

Benfotamine is just a very strong B1 [thiamine ], I haven't ever tried it, I just used thiamine [ 100 mg x3 times daily ] as it helped a little with my burning, I know a couple neuropathies that say benfotamine has helped them and others said it didn't, so its an individual choice just like any other supplements.

MY supplement choice was directed at the cause of my neuropathy which was low B12 and prediabetes, a good diet, weight loss and exercise to fix the elavated blood sugars and of course the b12 supplementation,
healing is a very slow process, at first it was impossible to tell the differance between flare ups or healing, as the nerves try to reconnect again they send confused signals which the brain which the brain misinterpruts, months to years later the flare ups became less frequent and less severe, but still took around 5 years to heal completely.

Some idiopathic patients I know take a huge amount of supplements, some say the progession has stopped and others say it helps and little and others say they don't help at all, there are no guarranties.

If you want I will dig them up, but the main thing is to try to find a cause and address that, some neuro's just do the basic testing and give up to soon, a neuro that is an expert in neuropathy are the best option for diagnoses, sometimes they can't find anything either but they know a lot more causes than a normal neuro does.

regards
Aussie

Old 01-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
(female)

kangelo HB User

Thank you, Aussie! Very helpful, as always.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
(male)

islandjohnny HB User

Hi OP, I also have PN and have been on a Multi-B regiment for about 2 months now. I honestly don't feel any different then when I first started, but I also understand that it takes time for the possibility of nerves to regenerate.

There is no guarantee but the way I look at it, the Multi-B's are good for blood cells, brain cells as-well-as nerves. I wish you the very best........

Closed Thread