It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

YardDog HB User
So Tired of the constant pain

Hi. I am 46 with diabetic neuropathy. I was miss diagnosed for about a year until the pain sent me to the emergency room and I was getting questioned about my diabetes. That was 3 years or so ago and it seems like I can't even remember never being in pain. I used to be very active. I would run or play softball. Just something all of the time. Now I sit all day and wish I could just get the household chores done without my daughter having to help out I had a great job that I loved. Now, I have a monthly check. Are there any suggestions on what next? It just seems like life ended and left me here.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
Re: So Tired of the constant pain

Hi, I am wondering how well are you controlling your blood sugars ? as I do know other diabetic neuropathies including myself that have found relief with tighter control of their sugars, it does take time though, the spikes and the lows do the damage to the nerves.

If you take Metformin for your diabetes, it depletes B12 levels, B12 is essential for nerve health which could be adding to your problems as well, 1 -5 mg daily taken on an empty stomache for max absorbtion will build up a good supply again.

Two other supplements have been found to help diabetic neuropathy are R - Liopic acid 100 mg daily & GLA- gamma-linolenic acid at 480 mg daily.

Mine was caused by elavated blood sugars and also found it really hard to walk, but I knew I really needed to exercise with diabetes, so I use to go the local all weather swimming pool and just walked up and down the lanes, didn't hurt one bit and still got a good work out that way.

good luck
Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

ajosli HB User

I am so sorry for what ur going thru! I too am going thru a very dark time right now! I am soon to see a pain management DR because I cannot stand the pain. I am taking norco, gabapentin and cymbalta and still in alot of pain. I dont know what is next. Do u mind me asking what ur on and how u try coping?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
(male)

YardDog HB User

Hi there Aussie. Actually my blood sugar had been doing very well. My cholesterol on the other hand was way out there. My last labs were great for my cholesterol, but my sugar was so high that the meter just said high. It could only read up to 600. My biggest problem came before I was diagnosed. I complained to my Dr. for months about my feet and hands. He just kept dismissing it. He said it was probably due to my blood pressure. I also have a enlarged heart that beats faster than normal. I take medication to slow it down. I was diagnosed many months later and the damage had been done. I have kidney damage, liver damage and had to have my gall bladder removed. By the way. I have a new doctor. I am allergic to metformin so I take insulin twice a day. Excercise is very limited as I have to use a cane or wheel chair to get around. Thank you. Keith

Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
(male)

YardDog HB User

Hi there ajosli. I am currently with a pain management group. I take Loratab, and Tramadol. I am having a trial implant to block the nerves that sense pain. I know what you mean by coping. It is so hard sometimes because each day is different. I seems like I can't remember never being in pain. I have the support of my babies, Alice and Lola. They are chichuachuas. I also have a roomate now to help with things around the house and paying the bills. Being on a fixed income is really tough. We have become good friends and that helps alot. I suggest having friends that you can talk to with them not being judgemental or just saying things like get off of your soapbox or it is not as bad as you make it out to be. I say this because you need a outlet to get the frustration out. I am not saying that you need pity, but people who can understand that this is what you need to survive. I would give anything to be able to work. I can't, and that is just the way it is. Being at home alone will make you do stupid things and you just need someone to be there for you. I hope this helps. Thanks, Keith

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
(female)

ajosli HB User

Hi there! It is so good to hear from someone who understands!! I too have someone who lives with me my sister is staying till she gets on her feet. She is so wonderful she helps me by going to the grocery store getting my meds and going to the Dr with me. My husband works in Okc all week and he loves me but does not understand what I am going thru. He doesnt get it that I am in constant pain. He thinks because I dont moan and groan about being in pain all the time that I dont hurt all the time. If I did that I would be such a miserable person to be around. I still love to smile and laugh and joke around and enjoy what I can so I guess this confuses him. My sister understands and for that I am so grateful! I have an apt for a pain management Dr on the 11th and I am looking forward to it greatly! I search for people on the net who live with this so I can talk to people who understand this. It is invisable and people make me feel like I am a hypochondriac in fact my husband actually called me this a few days ago. I fight this feeling constantly. If it isnt enough to be in pain I am made to feel like I am making it up, hows that for a good laugh! Anyways, I look forward to hearing from u again, I hope ur day has been a good one and ur night even better!
Alicia

Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
(male)

YardDog HB User

Hi Alicia. It may take your husband some time to understand. You might want to get some information for him to read or even when he is home have a Dr's appointment and ask him to take you and encourage him to ask questions. I guess I have just been luckier than I thought. People around me have a family member or someone they know with neuropathy. I am going on the 16th to have the trial portion of the implant that blocks the nerves so that I will not be in so much pain. My biggest thing now is the fact that I am disabled and I am still able to drive, but very restricted to it. I have my disability tag and the thing that hangs from the rearview mirror. You would not belive the people that scream and cuss at you because you park in a handicapped parking space. It use to make me feel so bad because the most of them are elderly women. (boy can the cuss)....LOL. But now, I just say that I pray that they never get struck down with my condition and just keep going on my way. The Dr's at the pain clinic told me that this won't remove all of my pain, but hopefully enough to the point that they can reduce a lot of my meds so that hopefully I will be able to remember things better. It's hard to not be able to remember thing at my age. Especially when my memory was one of my assets. At work you could ask me how far along thing were on certain prescriptions that we had in process, I could tell you where every one were and how much longer until they were ready. Now, I couldn't even remember how many we had. Well, I am off to see my son and granddaughter. She is so beautiful and sleeps alot like me....LOL. I hope your having a good day and keep smiling and laughing. Keith

Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
(male)

jjm0019 HB User

Sorry to hear you have chronic pain. I too suffer with it because of small fiber neuropathy. I started having symptoms when I was 18 years old. I saw every doctor out there looking for a cause of my pain. It wasn't until I was 31 years old until I finally the SFN diagnosis. It was a relief to finally put a name with my pain because for years I had doctors tell me it was all in my head. I didn't speak to anyone about it among my family and friends because I didn't think they'd understand. Doctors would accuse me of being a "drug addict" that was looking for pills, when all I was really looking for was a doctor that could help take away my pain. As I stated above I found out I had SFN because of a punch biopsy my neurologist did on my skin. Since then I've taken pain meds, cymbalta and Gabapentin. I think you asked what we're taking now....I take 3 20mg Oxycontin, 4-6 Norco and 3 300mg Gabapentin a day. You may say, "wow, that's enough medicine to kill a horse." Fore me the meds help dull the constant nerve pain but it never takes it away. I hope and pray there is a cure invented for SFN. I'm not sure what life would be like without meds and pain but I'd sure like to give it a try. I'm a lot more open now regarding my pain with the people around me. Until you suffer with chronic pain it's difficult to understand what we go through on a daily basis. I'm lucky to have good and understanding people around me but I still wish everyday that I didn't have to feel like this.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
(male)

johnny99 HB User

Hi Yard Dog,
So sorry to hear you are suffering from neuropathy. Mine is so bad sometimes, I have to fall asleep with my feet hanging off the bed...Just simply touching the bed with my heals can be quite painful at times. I was thinking that perhaps you might talk to your doctor about a drug called Amitriptyline. I have used it for several years now, and it helps quite a bit with the nerve pain. It doesn't cure it per say, but it makes it tolerable. It is an anti-depressant that is also used specifically for NERVE PAIN. Also an added benefit of this drug...Its non addictive, and it helps you fall asleep. Another side effect...It helps to lower your blood pressure. Hope you find relief.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
(male)

timinsurprise HB User

I suffered a motorcycle accident in August of 2008. My left leg was broken in three places and my pelvis was shattered. I was in a coma for a month and spent 6 more months trying to walk again. I have severe nerve damage in the L1-L5 and S1-S5 region of my spine. I can not move my left ankle / foot and I no longer have bladder or bowel control. Large muscle groups of both my legs and lower back no longer respond. The pain is extreme, even a over a year later. I take 1800 mgs of Neurontin and 30 mgs of Oxycontin a day. Keeping my mind occupied is actually the most helpful. I read constantly. I too was very active. I am retired Air force and I kept very fit. Now I shamble about the house with a cane. I was lucky enough to keep my job but my coworkers are constanly picking up the slack for me. I know where you are coming from by saying you no longer remember being pain free. I find myself thinking at the end of the day that there was not one minute in which I was comfortable and I know when I wake up it just starts all over. But you have to keep pushing through it. Try to redirect your attention to anything even if it is watching TV. I watch a lot of movies now. NetFlix is a must for me. I read a lot. I even suffer the pain associated with doing dishes, laundry, bending just to give myself a feeling of accomplishment. Otherwise I would probably become seriously depressed. I also think about my wife and daughter and I try my damndest not to be a burden on them. I don't have any glowing words of healing for you, we are both in a crappy situation, but my advise is to find something important to you, focus on it, and push yourself everyday. It will hurt, but you and I are used to that by now. I hope that you improve. Please reply if you need to talk. Us beat up ol men gotta stick together.

Closed Thread