It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

ebiggs HB User
Angry Nerve damage due to surgery.

Went in for bunion surgery and came out with peroneal and tibial nerve damage. First EMG study shows damage but Neurologist not sure what caused it. B.S.! Getting a second opinion but would like to know if this "foot drop" I'm experiencing is going to get better. Going to P.T. and heard that B vitamins can help. If anyone else has experienced nerve damage during bunion surgery I'd love to hear from you.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

pillow HB User
Re: Nerve damage due to surgery.

No that type of surgery! But trust me i feel they cut a nerve..it has happen to me in my gum..as well as when i had my tubes tied...hell! Painful hell..never went away!!! So save ur $$$....dr/dr /dr and more dr's...unless it was recent...u can get a eperdural..if soon! But not sure on foot/feet?? < edited >, u will never have surgery again! So many horror stories..like me, u probably knew right away what happen..they will cont. To send u here and there..my life has never been the same!!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-10-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi, I didnt have bunion surgery but I had Mortons neuroma removed from between my second and third toes Dec 30 2009.
I was just dx with peroneal neuropathy and foot drop, My primary care physician sent me to a neurologist when my podiatrist (he did the surgery) kept telling me everything is fine. My primary doc told me that the tourniquets they use when they do our kind of surgeries can cause nerve damage if not properly monitored during surgery. I have to have an EMG and NVC to find out where exactly the damage is. Funny thing is the day after I saw my neuro I had an appt. with my podiatrist.I did'nt tell him about the neuro and he still is telling me everything is normal, he has never once since the surgery asked me to walk for him or tested any reflexes no matter what I tell him about not being able to flex or bend my toes or about having a hard time walking or about the pain, all ha ever says is the surgery went great everything is normal and you just have to work through the pain. bullsht the neurologist was very concerned and kept saying over and over this isnt good or this isnt normal. I havent started pt yet Monday is my first appt. what kind of stuff do they do? Do you have to wear an AFO brace? I have to get one Monday I am soooo frustrated at my wits end.
Let me know what your second opinion says regarding the cause of your neuropathies.
Kelly

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
(male)

Bendix5 HB User
Smile Re: Nerve damage due to surgery.

I had blood clots in my let and thrombectomy...It left me with nerve damage, drop foot and no feeling in my leg. I went to the neurologist and he sent me for the brace which helped me a lot gaining strength and walking again. I went thru pt as well. I can move big toe ok now and other toes so, so. Foot still has neuropathy and leg still has areas of numbness. All I can say is now I can walk without brace, walker or cane. When I hike I use a hiking pole or both for stability. I worked hard to get to this point. I had good Drs. who did not try and push the matter aside. You need to educate yourself and be prepared to let the docs know what you expect. This all started when having a abdominal aortic anerysm repaired. Best of luck Dan

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi Bendx5 I am so glad to here the pt worked for you, I start mine today. I was wondering you are able to walk without any assistance but do you still suffer with the pain of neuropathy?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
(male)

Bendix5 HB User

Hello Kellyevans, Yes I can walk unassisted. It took a while but I did it. I don't walk over rocks or eneven ground real well. My ankle is wobbly. I use the hiking poles when in hills or rocky areas. I can walk the neighborhood or shop etc without assistance. After my surgery I couldn't balance on the bad leg at all. I would tip over...Now I can balance for maybe 20 seconds. PT worked wonders. You may look at the therapist and wonder what they are thinking with some of the exercises they have you doing, just know that it helps in the end. Do them at home as well. It will strengthen your muscles and help the nerves to heal. I do have pain in my foot. Most of the time I don't notice any more unless I don't exercise and move it. I take neurontin for the pain. Ask your doc about it if you continue with the neuropathy. It helps a great deal. I send the best to you for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

Mandymia HB User

Hello, I just read your post and I thought I might share a similar story. My mother had decompression surgery of L2-L5 in October 06. As the result of this surgery she suffered some nerve damage and had been on a walker since then. When nothing else could be done to relieve severe sciatica in Australia I sent mum to the States to have treatment there and she had T12-L1 fusion in July 07. Following this surgery she had a spinal cord stimulator implant in 2009 back in Australia, this didn't work because the dorsal column stimulator could not relieve the nerve pain controlled by this device. Once again I googled and we went to another state in Australia for help not offering other help as she done damage to the central nervous system. She was in complete agony and couldn't barely walk with the walker, lost her mobility and was still suffering from sciatica. When the final approach for help was offered to us in Australia, mum's sciatic pain completely went away after the surgery. She had a posteolateral lumbar stabilisation fusion done but as the result of this surgery it caused a nerve problem to one foot and now has foot drop on the right leg. Doctors are confident that the damaged nerve will restore itself but will take up to 2 years. But the problems with the nerves had to do with L2-L5 which basically controls your mobility. That has given her problems for over 7 years. As a carer and a daughter I watched her go through hell and back from spinal operations, fusions you name it and also and trying Neuroveen which I ordered from the States. Mum tried it for several days but didn't see the difference as yet. Hope it works.

Closed Thread