It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

Erinesque HB User
Anterior Tibial Tendon Transfer Surgery

Good evening, everyone. Almost a year ago, I slipped and fell, dislocating my knee. At the same time, I severed my peroneal nerve, and have suffered with foot drop for the past year. My only function in my foot is to push it downward and to move it inward, on the side of my big toe. I've heard of anterior tibial tendon transfer surgery, which may help. However, I've also heard of some negatives.
These negatives would consist of further weakening of the ankle, and the possibility of the surgery being unsuccessful, and being left with only one functional tendon; that being the Achilles.
If any one has had this type of surgery, or is knowledgeable in this surgery, please respond with advice before I attempt to proceed with having it done.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
(male)

Andrejfcf HB User
Re: Anterior Tibial Tendon Transfer Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinesque View Post
Good evening, everyone. Almost a year ago, I slipped and fell, dislocating my knee. At the same time, I severed my peroneal nerve, and have suffered with foot drop for the past year. My only function in my foot is to push it downward and to move it inward, on the side of my big toe. I've heard of anterior tibial tendon transfer surgery, which may help. However, I've also heard of some negatives.
These negatives would consist of further weakening of the ankle, and the possibility of the surgery being unsuccessful, and being left with only one functional tendon; that being the Achilles.
If any one has had this type of surgery, or is knowledgeable in this surgery, please respond with advice before I attempt to proceed with having it done.
Dear Erinesque,

I read your report and it sounds exactly like what happened to me... May2009 slipped and fell, dislocated my right knee and riped 2 ligaments.. and my peroneal nerve was streched. Had knee reconstruction and nerve realese in June. Hoped for nerve recovery but until now the EMG show no recovery at all.. considering tendon transfer but also with the same doubts as you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

Erinesque HB User

Well, I had the surgery, and I was mistaken: it's actually posterior tibial tendon transfer that was done. I had the surgery done on April 7, 2010. I have to be in a cast now for six weeks. I'm not able to post attachements, otherwise I'd upload a photo of my leg in its cast at the moment. I won't know if the surgery is successful until after I start physical therapy, in five more weeks.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
(male)

Andrejfcf HB User

Dear Erinesque,

oi wish you a quick recovery! these weeks in the cast are the worst, as soon as you start recovery everything is easier!

I am having my final EMG done on the 27th of April... I don´t feel any difference from the last one so I guess the next step is tendon transfer.

keep me posted how your recovery is going!

best of lucks!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

Erinesque HB User

Today is Thursday, April 29,2010. It has been twenty-two days from surgery. I was instructed by the doctor to take my foot out of the air cast that he has had me in, and to try to "re-educate" the tendon by trying to move my foot. He was not sure that this would even work, because we're taking a tendon out of phase and transferring it to a place where it has to function completely differently.
Well, I've tried many times throughout the last 3 weeks, to no success, but tonight, at around 11 pm, I was able to move the foot up a little bit. It was a little jerky and a very small movement, but it was definitely voluntary! I'm terribly excited, and working hard on not over-doing it. It seems, and this is an early inkling, that the surgery was successful. I'll keep everyone apprised.

Last edited by Erinesque; 04-30-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: to give more information than I previously had.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
(male)

Andrejfcf HB User

Thats great news!!!!

After all this time I guess to see you foot move again is something amazing!! Work hard in therapy!! I wish you all the best!!!

I had my EMG done last Tuesday 26th of April 2010, and...guess what??

I got a signal on my muscle. I had a small, very small, but had a signal.. after almost a year from my acident and exactly 10months after my surgery I had some recovery. The doctors aren-t sure if this late recovery will mean anything. I mean if it will be enough to regain movement on my foot but they think it is worth the wait. Going to repeat the exam in 3/4 months to see if there was any evolution.

I wish you a quick recovery!

best of lucks!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
(female)

Erinesque HB User

To tell the truth, I almost cried with happiness when I saw my foot move again voluntarily. The doctor had tried to give me realistic expectations, saying that because my injury to the nerve was dense, and I had no communication going to many of the tendons down there, that the surgery may not work at all. I went into it thinking that if it does work, which I wasn't totally expecting, it'd be great, but if it doesn't, then I'm really no worse off than I am right now. After being this skeptical, the sight of movement was incredible!!! I have my next appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, so I'll get to show him then! Won't he be surprised!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
(male)

Andrejfcf HB User

I can´t imagine your happiness to see the foot actually move!!! I dream of that!!
Work hard in theraphy it works!! I still do it 3x a week and try to work harder every week!
I wish you all the best!! Keep me posted!

André

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinesque View Post
To tell the truth, I almost cried with happiness when I saw my foot move again voluntarily. The doctor had tried to give me realistic expectations, saying that because my injury to the nerve was dense, and I had no communication going to many of the tendons down there, that the surgery may not work at all. I went into it thinking that if it does work, which I wasn't totally expecting, it'd be great, but if it doesn't, then I'm really no worse off than I am right now. After being this skeptical, the sight of movement was incredible!!! I have my next appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, so I'll get to show him then! Won't he be surprised!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
(female)

distantwings HB User

I read about your wonderful successs! PLEASE tell me there is hope as I sit here bawling for you like a Babe!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
(male)

Andrejfcf HB User

hey!!

how is your reeducation going? able to move the foot up?

on my side I still have hope, i haven't done any EMG since the last one but i can (and so does the doctor so it means i am not imagining) feel clearly a muscle contraction and my foot moves a little little bit. when i do it sideways i can see it move a bit. since the muscle didn t work for such a long time it attrocfiated and I now do electric stimulation directly to the muscle at home (with a machine that every tme i use it remembers me of those tvshop ad at 3am that you connect some wires and you become mr ironman! )

I still have hope this will improve enough for me to stop using the foot up i use everyday!

My doctor actually told me that these things take some years the important is that it keeps getting better, as long as there is evolution no matter how small it is, there is hope!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
(female)

mlitailano HB User

had the surgery on Feb 7th, 2011 at Mayo clinic in Rochester. Surgeon is Norm Turner. Had the cast for 8 weeks and it came off 3 days ago. I could immediately lift my foot. Dr, Turner said not everyone can do that right away. It has ben 3 days since cast off and i am in an air cast. I can walk with a cane but very slowly. I use a walker at night without the cast and can put full weight on my foot. Tips: lifting foot easiest if you lay on your side to exercise it. Also do not try lifting toe first since your toes will not work that way, you are actually lifting at the point where the tendon is attached, hold your foot in your hand and feel the tendon and push foot against your hand.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
(female)

ibcrownof3 HB User

Now that some time has passed, how are you all progressing? I am due to have a similar surgery to correct drop foot subsequent to synovial sarcoma, radiation, and graft surgery back in 1994. Over the past 6 to 7 years I've noticed progressive weakness in my left foot and now have to wear a brace to correct the drop foot. At 52 years of age, I feel I need to seek help to correct this condition. I've been evaluated at Yale but no one wanted to be bothered, it seems. I did find a surgeon in New Jersey who feels he can help me. I'm still undergoing some tests to check the anatomy since I've already had some surgery in that area. This tendon transfer news was good news to me and I was checking the internet for anyone who has had this surgery. I hope you are all well and recuperating better than expected.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #13
(female)

mlitailano HB User

Had the surgery in february at the Mayo clinic in rochester, mn by Dr. Norm Turner. I am currently walking without an AFO. still have a limp but working on that. I find that walking on a treadmill at my health club at the slowest pace and using music to find a beat to walk to has me walking normally. I think at this point it is just training my brain to walk without the limp. I do still have some swelling which causes some pain by the end of the day but dr. turner said the swelling could take a year to fully disappear.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
(male)

planemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB Userplanemark HB User

I am also curious to hear updates on how you all are doing. I tore my tendon from a 10 foot fall from an airline catering truck. I had an MRI and the Orthopedic Surgeon put me in an air cast, gave me 2 months of PT and I got Orthotics for my shoes. Nothing seemed to help, and I seemed to be getting progressively worse. I got a second opinion from a top notch Orthopedic Surgeon at The Cleveland Clinic, and he says that I have stage 3 Anterior Tibial Tendonitis. He says that I am an excellent candidate for tendon transfer surgery. The Dr also says that he has had allot of success, and I should be back to normal after recovery. I am scared and worried about the long recovery, but I will be glad to get it over with.
Do you have any advice for me. Is this surgery worth all the pain and recovery??

Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
(female)

mlitailano HB User

It will be a year in february since I had the tendon transfer surgery. It is a long recover, the first 2 months of non-weightbearing is the worst but now I am so glad I had the surgery. My foot works very well. swelling lasted until about august when I wised up and got some compression socks (dr. scholls) and then had a few sessions of physical therapy to increase the range of motion. I still have pain from the healing which is normal even now but it is managable with a couple advil every day. I can walk about a mile now even over uneven terrain. One thing the doc will certainly tell you is that you will not be able to pick up your toes so walking barefoot is difficult but I wear socks and sandals around the house and am fine.

Reply Reply