It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

beetkvass HB User
Well I got the nerve conduction study results

My labs all came back normal and the nerve conduction study came back normal. So it's now for the MRI to check for MS. I still don't understand how a negative nerve conduction study means I might have MS but a positive wouldn't...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

LoriAllen HB User
Re: Well I got the nerve conduction study results

It's very important that you don't take the fact the that nerve conduction tests were normal convince you that you don't have neuropathy. Small fiber neuropathy usually does not show on those tests. I was only able to get a diagnosis by going to the mayo clinic. The neuro there ordered a thermoregulatory sweat test which showed distal sweat reduction and confirmed her suspicion of sfn. Most neuro's do a quick cold/heat test that's not very acurate at all, even skin biopsy's can be negative depending on where they take the sample. If you don't get answers soon, try to get an appointment at a mayo clinic, or another high quality facility. If you can't get a referal or an appointment mayo has a "no appointment" check in desk, but you need to be prepared to be there for a few days or even a couple of weeks, but it's worth it. Being in pain is bad enough, not knowing the cause is a whole different level of bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
(male)

bg77 HB User

The way I understand it, negative means there is no problem in the pathway, and positive means there is.

A positive means there IS a problem in the hand/arm/foot, so we KNOW that is a likely (although not exclusive) cause of symptoms - negative means the problem is "above" the limb.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

LoriAllen HB User

MS is a disorder that attacks the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) with peripheral (arms and legs) symptoms. With peripheral neuropathy the disorder attacks the peripheral nerves themselves. That's why MS would have a normal EMG but an abnormal MRI. I'm simplifing things quite a bit but hopefully that will help you understand it better.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
(female)

Nummbie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetkvass View Post
My labs all came back normal and the nerve conduction study came back normal. So it's now for the MRI to check for MS. I still don't understand how a negative nerve conduction study means I might have MS but a positive wouldn't...
Hi Beetkvass,
I too just had a negative EMG and NCS AND the Neuro that performed it said you have No Peripheral Nerve damage. I am waiting on my blood work still. I kind of freaked out and thought it must mean I have a problem with my CNS. However, from reading I see that SFN (small fiber neuropathy) gives a normal EMG and NCS. If you don't have other positive MS signs (abnormal reflexes, optic neuritis, coordination problems etc) then it probably is SFN. A skin biopsy can give a true result for SFN. Also, a glucose tolerance test could be helpful to identify a prediabetic cause. Post what you find out. I have to wait until the end of the week to find out my next step.

Closed Thread