It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
(male)

yueeey HB User
Peroneal Nerve stretch damage causing foot drop

Hey everyone.

My name is Yuan, I just turned 21, and about 2 months ago I had a really bad car accident where I busted both my knees. Considering the severity of the accident, i'm lucky that it was ONLY my knees, but nevertheless, the whole experience has been difficult. I was airlifted to RPA hospital in Sydney, where they told me I fractured my tibia and fibula and severed my calf muscle and had torn my ACL/PCL/MCL in my right knee, and torn my hamstring and ACL/PCL and stretched the peroneal nerve in my left leg causing foot drop. I spent 1 month in hospital, where they put a metal pin in my tibia, and reconstructed my left knee. The right knee, they plan to reconstruct after they rehabilitate my leg leg, and see how I go without the surgery.

In regards to my foot drop, I initially had a loss of sensation on the top of my left foot and shin, and could not dorsiflex my ankle (pull my foot towards me) or turn it left. I also experienced some nerve pain near my ankle for a few weeks. I have been fitted with a brace, not quite sure what it's called, and wear it all day, everyday, except when i'm having a shower (as i've heard if you don't it could make the foot drop worse).

It's been 2 months since the accident, and the sensation on the shin and top of the foot is back (still feels a little tingly/numb on the top of the foot). However I still can't dorsiflex if it saved my life. I'm booked for a nerve conduction test in a week and a bit. Hopefully I get some good news, i'll keep you guys posted. I was just wondering if anyone had any stories, or would just like some feedback from someone who can relate to my situation. Prior to the accident, I was a really active person, who loved going outdoors and playing sport, especially basketball. and now at 21, in a split second, everything has turned upside down. Being in a wheelchair for 2 months has been such as a life changing experience.

Is getting sensation back a good sign? How long does it take for nerves to regenerate? and at what point should I concede that it just isn't coming back?

Any feedback will greatly appreciated!

Yuan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

jfoo HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve stretch damage causing foot drop

Hi Yuan!
I just recently fell at work and had extensive nerve damage causing a dropped foot. It's been a little over a month now, please give me some hope and tell me it gets better. Am so worried ill never be able to walk normal again. If you did get better what did you do?

Any information would be grateful.

Jessica.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
(male)

yueeey HB User

Hey Jess,

I have excellent news, my nerves regenerated and I have full function back in in my foot and ankle! For three months, whenever I got the chance, I would 'will' my toes to wiggle (as I heard that sending signals down the nerve could help), and one day, it wiggeled! It was the best feelings ever! Slowly, everyday I would sit there and try to wiggle my toes as much as I could, and now, one year down the i'm getting back into playing basketball!
Don't loose hope Jessica! I understand that each situation as different, but don't give up!

Yuan.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
(male)

yueeey HB User

I also didn't drink any alcohol and took good care of my health, as I heard drinking alcohol can inhibit nerve regeneration! It all took a couple months for me to be able to get around without my brace!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
(male)

AnkenyDad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueeey View Post
Hey Jess,

I have excellent news, my nerves regenerated and I have full function back in in my foot and ankle! For three months, whenever I got the chance, I would 'will' my toes to wiggle (as I heard that sending signals down the nerve could help), and one day, it wiggeled! It was the best feelings ever! Slowly, everyday I would sit there and try to wiggle my toes as much as I could, and now, one year down the i'm getting back into playing basketball!
Don't loose hope Jessica! I understand that each situation as different, but don't give up!

Yuan.
Hi Yuan,

I'm in a similar situation, but about 5 months behind you... How long did it take before you could get that toe wiggle going? I had a 10-12 mm stretch and was told the nerve would heal at a rate of approximately 1mm per month, then things may start improving. I try to move my foot and toes, and it feels like things want to go but can't. I keep on trying though...

Regards,

Mark

Closed Thread