It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
(female)

Tracey R HB User
Is this nerve pain and will it go away?

Hi I am fairly new to the forums

Just before Christmas I had a tooth pain which I went to visit my dentist for. She had to do the beginnings of a root canal and also said that I need to have a broken wisdom tooth removed, which I had done 2 days later. Shortly after the visit I had a burning feeling along the gums on the opposite side of my mouth to where the work was done. I used mouth wash and bonjela as I thought it may have been an irritation from the dentists gloves or something. The pain did go away after about a week.

I went back to the dentist for a checkup a month later, she told me that I would have to have the other three wisdom teeth removed at the hospital for preventative reasons and as you can imagine I got a little stressed and anxious. During the rest of the checkup she asked me to turn my head to the right and open wide, then there was a loud crunch. It didn't hurt at the time but the dentist looked a little concerned and asked if that had happened before. It hadn't. When I got home my gums started burning again and I was convinced it was something to do with her gloves that I was allergic to. I used the mouthwash and bonjela again but this time the pain didn't go. So after two weeks I went back to see her and she said the only thing it could be was a fungal infection. She then prescribed me medication for mouth ulcers. I thought this was a bit odd but went along with it as you trust these people. The pain didn't go so I went to see a nurse at the local hospital who gave me Nystatin. This didn't work either so I went to see my doctor, who examined me and couldn't see anything wrong in my mouth, but then he pressed on jaw a little in front of my ear and told me to open my mouth. The pain was so bad that he almost had to peel me off the ceiling. He said that I had dislocated my jaw at some point and damaged the muscles and ligaments which were pincing the nerve in my gum. I had forgotten about the crunch until then.

Since then I have been to see the oral surgeon at the hospital how was very surprised that I had been sent there to have my wisdom teeth out as there is nothing wrong with them and they will not extract them unless they are causing problems. I was relieved by this but as you can imagine very annoyed at the dentist who I won't be going back to. He said I have atypical facial pain which I think is caused by the jaw joint problem. He has giving me some exercises to do for my jaw and I have to apply heat twice a day and stick to a soft diet as I am not able to chew too well.

The burning goes away when I eat and brush my teeth, kind of like massaging the gum helps. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before. I am still in a great deal of pain and at the moment I can't see an end to it. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Tracey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread