It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2001, 11:05 PM   #1

megastressed HB User
Question Sural Nerve Biopsy (Ankle)

Hi there - anyone had a nerve biopsy done and know what kind of feelings are normal to have ten days after. I wasn't old anything except that it might be numb. They were right it is numb, some of the pain is gone now but I feel like I have electric shocks that go thru my foot when I move it certain ways or try walking on it at all. The doctor didn't mention this and I don't seem to be able to get him on the phone??

Any info anyone has about any area would be a help. My kids just think that Mom is really loosing it when Isay electric shock Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
(male)

IveGotTheNerve HB User
Re: Sural Nerve Biopsy (Ankle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastressed View Post
Hi there - anyone had a nerve biopsy done and know what kind of feelings are normal to have ten days after. I wasn't old anything except that it might be numb. They were right it is numb, some of the pain is gone now but I feel like I have electric shocks that go thru my foot when I move it certain ways or try walking on it at all. The doctor didn't mention this and I don't seem to be able to get him on the phone??

Any info anyone has about any area would be a help. My kids just think that Mom is really loosing it when Isay electric shock Thank You
I just had a sural nerve biopsy done on May 7th. Started having those electric shock pain the same as you the next day and I am still having them.
Doc said to ice and elevate for 3 days and it was up to me when I could go back to work. On the 4th day I went back to my office job at 8am, by noon I was in so much pain that my supervisor told me to go home. Took my sock off later in the evening and I had discoloration and internal bruising on both sides of my foot. Called doc and he said to elevate and ice it again. I am not going back to work for another week. I asked him about the risks prior to biopsy. He just mentioned infection and numbness, nothing about the others. I am not too happy about it or his attitude but I am going to talk to him this week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I had one done last year.

It's unfortunately worse now than it was 6 months ago - but all the nerves in my arms and legs have gone crazy....

Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
(male)

IveGotTheNerve HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousforever View Post
I had one done last year.

It's unfortunately worse now than it was 6 months ago - but all the nerves in my arms and legs have gone crazy....
That's not right, what has your doctor said about that?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveGotTheNerve View Post
That's not right, what has your doctor said about that?
They don't know what is causing the PN - I've had both ulnar nerves decompressed - all was good till 1 1/2 yrs later. But nothing is compressed.

See my question about the tests....

Old 05-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
(female)

deneenf HB User

I have peroneal nerbe palsy/foot drop.Had a surgery that went bad on1-20-04. The screw put into my leg went into the nerve. They went in 6 weeks later to find that out. They tryed to repair it but it was to far gone. They did a sural nerve graft on 5-09-04. I have had all the problems with it as every one else. I at times would have to grab my ankle to pull it in different dirrections to pull the nerve ending out of where ever it decided to grow. If they don't bury the nerve endings when they cut it it can grow into places that can cause a lot of pain. I did that the first year of it. Now I feel just the numbness, some times if I bump it, it will send a shock down my foot. It does get better with time. about a year or so. But after that it sould be more livable. If not talk to the nero about it growing into the wrong places. I was told that when you damage a nerve you have what is called "6 months golden hour" so to say. It just means that instead of the "golden hour" to get help for a better outcome is the same for nerves. But you have 6 months time to decide what should be best for you, leaving the nerve to repair its self or do a graft. My Dr. didn't tell me that I found out through a nero-surgeon. Good luck to you. Let us know what happens.
Deneen

Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
(female)

lola37 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Sural Nerve Biopsy (Ankle)

I am 15 and had one done a month ago. I had numb feet already, so i'm not sure if the biopsy made my feet go numb. Seeing as I am a kid, i a had a peadiatric neurosurgeon do my biopsy. He said you can get nerve pain like elctric shocks, i already have that in my legs but the biopsy made it worse. So yes, you can get pain like that, you are not crazy.

Closed Thread