It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #1

Irvman HB User
Post pins/ needles electric

For the past 5 weeks or so I have been getting a generalized pins and needles feeling all over my body. Tiny little sharp *****s. Nothing in particular triggers this and it happens for days at a time and then goes away for a day or two. Believe it or not, I also get an electrical feeling in my right hands on occasion-as though I am conducting a small ammount of electricity! Any thoughts? It's driving me crazy. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Irvman:
rebchipper (01-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Irvman For This Useful Post:
rebchipper (01-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #2

slyJohn HB User
I also started to get cold pins/needle-like feelings all over my body but it mostly resides in my left leg. I would also like to know what this may be caused by.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #3

jmattson HB User
Smile

Hi Irvman
I also have the same symptoms.
Im going to see a neurologist in the next two weeks.
I believe the symptoms we both are Experiencing are related to Multiple Sclerosis MS. What you are describing is one of the family of abnormal sensations—such as “pins and needles” and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains—which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.

Watch what you eat and limit sugar and dairy intake.
This can inflame the symptoms.
Aleve- The pain killer. helps with the pins and needles feeling.

Go to Neurologist as soon as you are able to and ask to be tested for MS. Have them test you first with the injection to see if you are allergic to that before they pump you full of it. Also go to an Allergist and get tested for a food Allergy. You can eliminate this to see if is causing the problem.
Check out the link to the MS website [url="http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sourcebook-Itching.asp"]http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sourcebook-Itching.asp[/url]

I can reply with more if you need it.
Good luck
Jeff

[This message has been edited by jmattson (edited 07-11-2003).]

Old 07-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

sturgeon HB User

Suggest you check out peripheral neuropathy -- start
with Google search engine, lots of information that
may be helpful to you.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 AM   #5

Irvman HB User
jmattson-Thanks for your reply-I have been a bit concerned that these symptoms may be a sign of ms but since they come and go, I've tried not to worry myself sick. I had a brain scan back in February for migraines but nothing was mentioned about the possibility of neurological problems. PLEASE let me know how your tests come out.
I will also be looking into peripheral neuropathy. Thanks to all.
Irvman

------------------

Old 08-10-2003, 09:55 PM   #6

Bsybee HB User
I had the exact same problems & I had a bunch of tests, nobody could figure out what it was, then I went to see a Chiropractor, found out my spine was out of line, & had a pinched nerve. I'm good to go now.
Best Wishes

Old 08-11-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
(female)

avia HB User
yes - I have pins and needles and other sensations including humming, buzzing, vibrating, numbness and burning. I found out I am diabetic so make sure you are tested.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:28 PM   #8

jmattson HB User
Smile

Hi Irvman.
I have talked to an Allergist and they found nothing, I have talked to an Dermatologist and they found nothing, I have talked to Neurologist and He did an MRI of my brain and that showed I was fine. No Tumors, bloodclots, or any sign of MS. He did not know what was causing the problem. I still get Pins and needles all over my body, muscle tremors, and muscle spasms in my arms and legs. I also get abnormal sensatons on my face along with a burning sensation. They can not tie it to any disease. Its been 10 months now. They give me Neurontin which does help the pain but knocks me out through the next day. After my meeting with the Neurologist I went and looked up MS and I found people that were diagnoised with MS that had persistent symptoms like mine and there MRI showed lesions only on the spine not the brain in fact 20% of People with MS only develope lesions on the spine. So He could be wrong. I wish I could find out what I have because there are different diets to eat depending on what you have. I dont want to be hurting myself by now knowing.
I have found a really good site for you to check out with alot more info about diet and supplements than you will hear from your doctor. [url="http://www.direct-ms.org/"]www.direct-ms.org/[/url]
I will keep you posted.
Good luck to you and let me know what you find out.
Jmattson

[This message has been edited by jmattson (edited 08-14-2003).]

Old 08-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Have you been tested for B12 deficiency? The symptoms are remarkable similar to MS including the lesions on spine and brain. I found out 8 yrs ago and now give myself injection of B12 twice a month for life. My level was 96. I'm surprised the neuro didn't think of it but then again the first neuro I saw just sluffed it off and 2 yrs down the line I was having more severe electical shocks down the spine and went to see a differnt neuro and he gave me tests for B12. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #10

Irvman HB User
jmattson,
I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any answers to your questions. It is all so frustrating! Please don't stress too much as I have found that worrying can make everything seem so much worse than it really is. My symptoms come and go and I thank everyone who has added some advice-I'll check it all out.

Irvman

Old 09-04-2003, 12:59 AM   #11

toody64 HB User
Hi, Have you had any success about your health concerns?
You need to have an EMG test done by a Neurologist. I had the MRI and everything was fairly normal but thr EMG showed nerve damage in my feet and legs. The diagnosis is Peripheral Neuropathy. It has only been 5 months for me but it came on with a vengeance. Almost overnight. You are experiencing the tingling, pins, needles etc. in your body so you may have nerve damage to your central nervous system. Do see a Neurologist so you can find out what's going on. Then you can start on a medication that will help with the pins and needle feeling you have. With the neuropathy I have that same sensation of electric currents going through my feet and legs. Hope you get some answers soon.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:24 AM   #12

bme1361 HB User
Toody, I have pn, too. I have all the symtoms you have and more. My doctor won't send me to a neurologist, and he's just playing around with medications to give me. Of course, I need a referrel to see a neurologist. Can I ask you what medication you are taking?

Old 09-20-2003, 07:23 PM   #13

toody64 HB User
To bme1361
Right now I am not taking any meds for the PN. We have tried 4 different ones and I have had a severe reaction to them. I will start another one on Monday to see if I can tolerate it. I have been taking Tramodol for the pain but to no avail. The pain just gets worse and worse, and I can't sleep. It has gotten so bad I went to the emergency room this morning as my Doctor is out of the country. I was given an injection of morphine (short term relief) and a patch that will release morphine in small doses for 72 hours. Also Vicodin extra strength and Ambien for sleep. It is the first time I have had next to no pain in months.I will call my regular doctor on Monday to see him and relay the info from the emergency room Doctor as to his recommendation for a glucose tolerence test for diabetes. My neurologist has not done that one but from other blood work diabetes has not been indicated. What a journey this has been, and it's not over yet. I don't like to sound discouraging but the more I see, hear and learn the future looks bleek. I hope and pray for better days for all of us. My best to you.
Toody

Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #14

jmattson HB User
Hi all
I have received my CPK and EMG tests and they are normal along with about 30 other tests they have run from cancer to auto immune to MS. My doctor has consulted with several other doctors and they have never even heard of what I have.
So ofcourse they dont know what to do. I know I am extremly sensitive to sugar and it causes a flare up if I even have 2 0r 3 grams of sugar in food a day. I went to a natural doctor/Chiro and she said I have a Intracelluar pathogen that is attacking my Nervous system. I have another appointment today with her to go over some test results and then she will start treating me. She said she is going to use NAET and NMT to treat me. I am aware of them but I have not talked to anyone that has had this done. Is anyone familar with either one of these and are they affective for the nervous system ?

Thank You
Jeff

Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
(male)

illbefrank HB User
Re: pins/ needles electric

Hi,
I get these feelings of pins and needles all over my body, but it's also when I'm nervous or engaging in physical activity and sweating. It feels as if my pores themself are stinging. Anyone have any idea?

Closed Thread