It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Post TENS Implant

HI,
HAS ANYONE HAD A TENS IMPLANT? I HAD BACK SURGERY AND HAVE NERVE DAMAGE AND DROP FOOT ALSO BACK AND HIPS STILL HURT, USE LEG BRACE BUT HAVING SHOOTING NERVE PAIN IN LEG, VERY PAINFUL TRIED EVERYTHING NO HELP NOW TENS UNIT IMPLANT IS SUGGESTED,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IN MY DECISION .I DONT WANT TO LIVE IN PAIN NO MORE BUT AM SCARED OF IMPLANT. SURGERY WAS A YEAR AGO L4-L5 MICRODISKTOMY.
THANKS COOKIE51

Old 09-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Do you mean a spinal cord stimulator that is implanted in the spinal cord. If so I have one and it has helped my leg pain enourmously.

If this is the same thing post back and if you have any questions I will be more then glad to try and answer them.

Take care
cattys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
thanks for writing back,right now i have external unit but i am getting leg pain from top of leg to toes, they are cramp like, also my nerve damage is from back surgery one year ago drop foot, sparatic nerve pain tinging,you name it i have it i have tried everything nothing has worked, afraid of surgery again i think i have lost faith in drs. but i have to do something meds have made my stomach another problem did you have tens implant with battery implanted either in hip or abdomin, batterys are changed every year or so.
thanks cookie

The Following User Says Thank You to cookie51 For This Useful Post:
lbr49 (11-09-2012)
Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I have the fully implanted stimulator.

I have leads that are implanted in my epidural space of my spine. There is a extension wire that is wired underneath my skin that leads to the battery pack. My battery pack is implanted under my arm. I did have one implanted in my abdominom but it has been replaced and the new one is now under my arm.

I have reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I have horrid pain and burning in my arm and both legs That is caused from my sympathetic nerve always misfiring.. The stimulator is a god send for my legs. I have tried so many meds and have had stellate blocks and they all stopped working for me. The stimulator was my last hope for any pain relief.

I too was in fear to have surgery because any new injury can make my RSD spread to the new injury site. It has been 6 months now with the stimulator and I am glad that I did take that chance.

Now when I go to bed at night I don't have to worry about being up all night in pain. I just turn the stimulator up and it puts me right to sleep.

Best wishes on whatever decision you make. If you have any questions I will be more then glad to try and answer them for you.

take care
Cattys

Old 09-22-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
cattys,
Thanks for writing back, I go to the Dr. Friday and he wants to talk about implant, I don't know what to do I am sick of always being in pain,this shooting nerve is so painful I get so mad at the Dr. he said it happened because I have a double nerve root, well I am still in pain with my lower back plus now I have pain in hips, back and legs so I am not a happy camper to say the least. this happened at work so I don't know if I will be able to go back to work, right now im trying to get a normal life again,with out pain. also with implant I worry because of it being permanent what about 5 or 10 years from now with problems or battery upkeep will they still pay for my care, right now I am on workman's comp.My emg. shows chronic nerve damage so this foot drop and numbness in leg doesn't help any. Sorry im such a complainer but it is nice to vent sometimes I hope you understand. thanks for listening. thanks cookie

Old 09-23-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Cookie,

Mine is also workman compensation. They have to pay for my care until the day I die. The battery will need changing for me in about 3 years and they have to pay for it.

Did your dr. mention at all doing a trial first.

Take care
cattys

Old 09-23-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Catty,
I see your case is workman's also, are you working or did they put you on disability? my lawyer said they usually don't settle till you go back to work but what if I cant go back? On top of all of this I have fibromyaga,and I think since the surgery it has gotten worse, I get shots in my hips and shoulders for pain from the way I walk with this drop foot and wearing afro,I think it is getting worse. When I go Friday Dr. will set a date for trial test, im ready im sick of all this, I would like one normal day,well I will write later. thanks for your feed back hope all is well with you. thanks cookie

Old 09-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Hi Cookie,

When I was of from work healing from my stimulator surgery my employeer terminated me. They used the excuse that I used up all my FMLA time this was not even fmla it is workman comp. It was easier for them to get rid of me then create a job that I could do with my restrictions.

I am not working now. No one will hire me I have to many limitations. I don't know what I am going to do. I am hoping on getting my workman comp case closed up soon and keep lifetime medical.

Take care
cattys

Old 09-24-2003, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
catty
What, they let you go, i dont think they can do that, if you were on workmans comp. my lawyer would be all over them they do not have the right to do that,you should be getting a check and medical till case is closed, i dont know if you have a lawyer but if not you better get one ,they try to intimedate you dont let them you have been thru too much, fight for your rights. Well friday is almost here, i will let you know what happens,Im still concerned about this external unit causing such leg cramps he told me to stop using it, i hope if implant is done i wont get them anymore. How was the surgery? Were you awake and have to stay overnight in hospital? They want me to stay 24 hrs. Did you have therepy after surgery? I wonder if this will help my pain in back and hips also, i still have drop foot,leg is numb from knee down to toes,still wearing brace on leg,very hard leg gets so weak and sore hope implant helps that also. This all happened because Dr. said i have a double nerve root and thats what caused the drop foot,well what is causing shooting pains in a numb leg? They tell me i have nerve damage,i have been off work almost a year and am wondering after this implant if they send you back to work right away or if they have to wait and see about the drop foot.I feel like i walked out of my job on two feet and want to be able to walk back in on two feet not dragging a leg and brace. Well i will write later you have a good day.
thanks cookie

Old 09-24-2003, 05:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
cookie

I'm sorry what I meant by let me go was I am trying to settle my case and keep my lifetime medical open. I do recieve my bi-weely checks.

My implant was same day surgery. I was off work for 8 weeks. but my employeer fired me durng this time saying I exceeded my FMLA time and it was not even FMLA.

With the stimulator I can not lift anything over 20 pounds. The leads could move or break. After surgery I could not lift over 5 pounds for 8 weeks.

I hope you have a pain tolerable evening.

cattys

Old 09-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
HI CATTYS,
I DID MISUNDERSTAND YOU, NOW I SEE,I GOT A LAWYER BECAUSE COMP. GUY WAS SUCH A JERK,I COULD NOT DEAL WITH HIM, SO NOW LAWYER DOES IT. DID YOU HAVE DROP FOOT ALSO? AND SO YOU FEEL THE IMPLANT? I ALSO AM WORRING ABOUT FUTHER TREATMENT,AND CARE, BECAUSE I DONT THINK ANOTHER INSURANCE WOULD COVER THIS SURGERY BECAUSE IT IS PERMINENT AND NEEDS FOLLOW UPS FOR YEARS TO COME. DID YOU APPLY FOR DISABITY? MY JOB HAS DESK JOBS THEY WILL WANT ME TO TAKE,I DONT KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO SIT FOR A LONG TIME. PLUS THIS NUMB LEG, I STILL CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW MY EMG WAS SO CRONIC I DID NOT KNOW HE DID IT, THATS HOW MUCH DAMAGE THERE IS HOW I GET THESE SHOOTING NERVE PAINS SO BAD.MAYBE MY FIBRO DOES NOT HELP ANY I DONT KNOW. I GET SHOTS IN MY HIPS AND SHOULDERS THEY HELP FOR AWHILE THEN BACK TO PAIN AGAIN. WELL I WILL WRITE LATER HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
THANKS COOKIE

Old 09-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Hi Cookie

How are you doing? I hope good.

I do not have drop foot my RSD is in my hand, arm and legs. I do know some people that RSD does cause drop foot in. I need to use my hand and legs as much as possible because they can freeze up. I have very bad circulation in my feet and hand from the RSD. It effects the nerves, tissue skin, blood vessels and bones it causes a very bad burning and pain. I never even heard of RSD until I got it. The stimulator helps my legs better then my arm I would go nuts though without it.

I hope you have a good evening.

cattys

Old 09-25-2003, 08:46 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Hi Catty,
Well tomorrow is my big day at Drs. I will write and let you know how it went, I want to thank you for all your information and taking the time to reply to all my fears and doubts, I would have been lost without your help. Its nice to talk to someone who has similar experience, I think sometimes people don't relate to chronic pain so its hard for them to understand, I hope I have not been a pain asking all these questions over and over again, it seems like its always about pain. Once again I hope all is well with you also how long does the recovery from tens implant take, and do you have to have therapy or office visits you have to go to.

thanks
cookie

Old 09-26-2003, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

cookie,

Good luck with your Dr. appointment. I did not have to have therapy after the implant but I use to go to therapy all the time until it caused more pain then good. I can keep my arm and legs mobile by doing things at home.

After the implant I was going to the Dr. every 2 weeks for a couple of months until I got the system adjusted right. It took about 6 weeks to recover. The incisions were not bad at all.

If you ever have any more questions I will be more then glad toi try and help.

I hope you have a good evening. Good luck tomorrow.

cattys

[This message has been edited by cattys (edited 09-26-2003).]

Old 09-26-2003, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User
Cattys,
I went to the dr, today and i have to talk to psychiatrist next week, he said all implants have to talk to them and then he will do the trail implant the following week.He will put the wires in and leave battery on the outside if all goes well he will implant system 10 days later. He also told me my leg will not recover and I will have to wear brace.Workman Comp. nurse was there,they are always at all drs. appt. since injury it drives me nuts but what can you do. Well anyway,when I got home nurse called me and said all was approved,and not to worry my job will let me come back to work with brace and cane, I said I think that's the cart before the horse, im still trying to deal with implant and she said she was only letting know my job is there when this is all over.My job right now is not the most important thing on my mind, jobs come and go but without your health your nothing. did your dr. tell you never to have a mri? Mine said that I can have cat scans but never another mri once implant is installed.Also how was the surgery? Were you awake? I think I will be oh I just what this all over with. Well once again I hope all is well and will talk later.
thanks cookie

Closed Thread