It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

hurting24 HB Userhurting24 HB User
Problem with a severed Radial Nerve healing

I am new and not sure where to post this question but hope I came to the right place.

I had my radial nerve severed during surgery almost 4 years ago. I found this out 18 months after the 1st. surgery to my right hand. I had the base joint replaced in my thumb and at the same time he fix my tendinitis. The 1st. Dr. gave me the run around after the surgery telling me that the burning pain on the top of my hand was normal and will go away after a few years. He also said that I had cause this problem from sleeping on my hand after seeing him for this burning pain that was getting worse. This was the 9th follow up visit with him and my last.

So I found a Dr. that would at lease look at my hand which he did many test over a 2 month time span. He finally said that all he could do was to open up my wrist/lower forearm to see if I had a nick nerve. I agreed to the surgery but this Dr. made it very clear that he would only do this nerve surgery and if that did not fix my problem that I would need to find an other Dr. So to this Dr. surprise when he open up my wrist he found my radial nerve completely severed and he did a tub graft to try to get the nerve to grow back down into my hand about 9". The gap was around 1" after he clean the 2 ends. He told me that it should be fine in 18 months and that the nerve pain should be mostly gone in 6 months after this surgery.

I waited for 10 months then I had to find a new hand Dr. to see why my whole arm is now in so much pain. I could no longer go into any buildings or vehicles with the A/C running due to the pain throughout my arm. My new Dr.did several test only to find that the nerve was not growing back in stead I ended up with a large neuroma growing on the live nerve end. So I had a 2nd. surgery to fix my radial nerve 9 months ago.

I now have crpsII in my right hand, wrist, arm, shoulder. My pain keeps getting worst each month even though I am being treated by a PM Dr. The burning pain is the same in my hand and fingers. The numbing pain keep moving up my arm above my elbow.

My question is this going to go away or is my nerve not regrowing like it should. Am I not being patent enough and this is normal for the nerve to heal this way or is there still something wrong with the way my nerve is healing. I ask my PM Dr. and he really never answer this question. He wants to send me to the Mayo Clinic for a 2nd. opinion and I would guess more test.

Has anyone else had this problem with their radial nerve healing and regrowing after being severed.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time to all reply's.

Hurting24

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User
Re: Problem with a severed Radial Nerve healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurting24 View Post
I am new and not sure where to post this question but hope I came to the right place.

I had my radial nerve severed during surgery almost 4 years ago. I found this out 18 months after the 1st. surgery to my right hand. I had the base joint replaced in my thumb and at the same time he fix my tendinitis. The 1st. Dr. gave me the run around after the surgery telling me that the burning pain on the top of my hand was normal and will go away after a few years. He also said that I had cause this problem from sleeping on my hand after seeing him for this burning pain that was getting worse. This was the 9th follow up visit with him and my last.

So I found a Dr. that would at lease look at my hand which he did many test over a 2 month time span. He finally said that all he could do was to open up my wrist/lower forearm to see if I had a nick nerve. I agreed to the surgery but this Dr. made it very clear that he would only do this nerve surgery and if that did not fix my problem that I would need to find an other Dr. So to this Dr. surprise when he open up my wrist he found my radial nerve completely severed and he did a tub graft to try to get the nerve to grow back down into my hand about 9". The gap was around 1" after he clean the 2 ends. He told me that it should be fine in 18 months and that the nerve pain should be mostly gone in 6 months after this surgery.

I waited for 10 months then I had to find a new hand Dr. to see why my whole arm is now in so much pain. I could no longer go into any buildings or vehicles with the A/C running due to the pain throughout my arm. My new Dr.did several test only to find that the nerve was not growing back in stead I ended up with a large neuroma growing on the live nerve end. So I had a 2nd. surgery to fix my radial nerve 9 months ago.

I now have crpsII in my right hand, wrist, arm, shoulder. My pain keeps getting worst each month even though I am being treated by a PM Dr. The burning pain is the same in my hand and fingers. The numbing pain keep moving up my arm above my elbow.

My question is this going to go away or is my nerve not regrowing like it should. Am I not being patent enough and this is normal for the nerve to heal this way or is there still something wrong with the way my nerve is healing. I ask my PM Dr. and he really never answer this question. He wants to send me to the Mayo Clinic for a 2nd. opinion and I would guess more test.

Has anyone else had this problem with their radial nerve healing and regrowing after being severed.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time to all reply's.

Hurting24
My God!. too late to sue, I guess. Docs like to fool around with you,until the 3 years SOL are up when they pull something like this.
I'd go to a neurologist if I were you, if only for a consult.
I'm no expert, but generally I don't think nerves heal.
How long since the nerve surgery?.
It will probably get better but it will take time before your body sends the signals along other nerve paths. I cut a lateral nerve in my left index finger about 38 years ago and it took years before it re-routed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kass490 For This Useful Post:
hurting24 (01-03-2011), myeaston (02-12-2012)
Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

bearlady40 HB User

Hi friend and fellow sufferer: I wish I had good news. My radial sensory nerve was ripped during a routine DeQuervain's surgery. I finally ended up seeing Dr. Susan MacKinnon of Barnes/Jewish Memorial Hospital in St. Louis, MO. She is a leading hand surgeon (voted top in the nation) and developed peripherial nerve transfer. She did my last surgery which had an 80 percent chance of working - however my surgery failed. The pain is horrid and my only recourse is now pain management. After a 3-1/2 year appeal wait I won my disability case but it was hell and you have to really do your homework. I now take mass amounts of pain medicine which just takes the edge off. An important one is a drug called Neurontin - that helps some. Please do a search on MacKinnon and read what she has written and done and let me know if I can be of help. So sorry for your pain.
Kimberly

The Following User Says Thank You to bearlady40 For This Useful Post:
hurting24 (12-14-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

shawnee251 HB User

I am so sorry about the pain you are experiencing. I severed my median nerve during a car accident and that was the end of that!! Nerves are buggers to grow back in the right directions esp. a large one as yours. I have had 13 surgeries with Dr. Culp of Phili, one of the top hand docs. I too had a graft that failed. I smoke and that was a BIG NO NO!!! I take alot of medications now to take the edge off but like you there are many times (like being in a cold room) the meds don't cut it. Lyrica is one of the most helpful as far as medications. If you decide to take anti-seizure meds expect to become a little dull in the thinking depart. Also, try nerve blocks. They didn't work for me b/c of all the damage but you might have some success. I do wish you all the very best of luck. It is not an easy injury/disorder to live with.

The Following User Says Thank You to shawnee251 For This Useful Post:
hurting24 (01-03-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
(male)

potachev HB User

Dear Hurting 24. I had a severed radial nerve 6 months ago and there is not much I could advise you in terms of pain relieve. However, maybe you could answer my question whether this injury affects the whole side of the body on terms of breathing and general sensitivity. I have had problems with breathing and circulation and the whole right side seems to be lacking reflexes and even right leg got weaker. Is this something familiar? Thanks, Paul

Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
(male)

Hello Paul:

I have some breathing problems mostly from the pain meds I have to take. I have CRPS Type II and over the past 4 years it has spread the pain throughout my entire right arm, upper chest, and back right side of my neck. I am going in for a MRI tomorrow because I now cannot stand on my 2 legs for very long let alone walk very far.

You need to fine a Dr. that knows RSD/CRPS very well to see if you have this and get treatment started so it is some what under control.

Has your radial nerve started to heal and how did you injure it. Did you have surgery on the nerve.

Each and everyone of us will have different problems as we heal. There will be some things that will be the same then there will be things that you will only feel see have affect you in a certain way.

I cannot be in a vehicle or any building were the A/C is on it causes a major pain flair 15+ for days after only being in the A/C for a few minutes. Vibrations from sounds or a moving vehicle does the same thing to my pain were it is a 15+ for days.

If I stay home and do nothing what so ever than my daily pain is a 7+ all the time. I have no life any more because I cannot do anything. I have tried to do a little a rounded the house to help my wife only to cause pain flairs for days.

All I can tell you is fine help from a good Dr. get checked and I hope that you do not have RSD/CRPS. Good luck and let us know what you find out but get to a Dr. asap.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
(male)

potachev HB User

thank you so much for your answer. how did that mri go? did they find anything? is your left leg stronger than the right one? how long after your injury did it take to start really hurting, or was it after the graft surgery? did you experience breathing problems before the graft surgery? sorry to ask so many questions, unfortunately the neurologist has no clue of what i am talking about, so every bit of info really helps. thanks again, talking to someone who knows this from the inside makes huge difference morally. sincerely, paul

Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
(male)

Paul

I can't really answer your questions because over the last 4 years I did not keep a daily journal, which I would highly suggest everyone do. For me things changed very fast by the day or week. After so many Dr. visits you start to lose track as to what happen when. All I know is it may take you a while to fine the right group of Drs. that know and under stand CRPS. A lot of Drs. will say that they know all about crps/rsd when after a few visits with these Drs. you begin to see that they have no clue and are in some cases doing you more damage than good.

Take your time ask many questions with your Drs. to see if you found that right one. Also several Drs. told me to get on the internet and read up on all that I can fine out about this. Over time you will know as much or more then the Dr. treating you. You have plenty of time on your hands to research this. Do so the more you know the better off you are when it comes time to getting the right treatment. Don't be afraid to change Drs. because the wrong treatment can set you back for a very long time. Stand your ground you know your body better than anyone else. If it does not feel right question it.

Good Luck

Hurting

Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
(male)

radial nerve74 HB User

It has been 3 1/2 long years since my radial nerve was cut do to a work related injury and i am still searching for help and answers. My right radial nerve was cut at my wrist ( i am or was right handed ), I have no extention at my elbow accompanied with severe numbness,tingleling,stabbing, burning shooting pains. The pain is unexplainable and varies from day to day but is constant, I also have muscle spasms, twiches and hard uncontrollable jerking ( even in my sleep,many sleepless nights ). I was diagnosed with right radial nerve pasly so far but im still at the point where doctors have never seen this before, or its all still so new. " NO ANSWERS ", any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
(male)

radial nerve74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by potachev View Post
Dear Hurting 24. I had a severed radial nerve 6 months ago and there is not much I could advise you in terms of pain relieve. However, maybe you could answer my question whether this injury affects the whole side of the body on terms of breathing and general sensitivity. I have had problems with breathing and circulation and the whole right side seems to be lacking reflexes and even right leg got weaker. Is this something familiar? Thanks, Paul
did you get any help if so what kind of help

Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
(male)

Radial Nerve 74

No nothing new here. Just trying to maintain my pain as best as possible with taking few meds to get by. Early last year it had spread down through my whole right leg and hip. Tried shots with little luck would last for 2 weeks and then back. Where they did the injections in my lower back I have pain that was not there before.

Now I use a cane to help to get around. Only time I leave the house is to go to the doctors once a month. One good thing is we have had a very mild winter so far this year 50's-60's which helps with my pain. This March will make it 5 long years.

Hope everyone has a better year with the pain and everything that comes with it.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
(male)

radial nerve74 HB User
Unhappy Re: Problem with a severed Radial Nerve healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurting24 View Post
Radial Nerve 74

No nothing new here. Just trying to maintain my pain as best as possible with taking few meds to get by. Early last year it had spread down through my whole right leg and hip. Tried shots with little luck would last for 2 weeks and then back. Where they did the injections in my lower back I have pain that was not there before.

Now I use a cane to help to get around. Only time I leave the house is to go to the doctors once a month. One good thing is we have had a very mild winter so far this year 50's-60's which helps with my pain. This March will make it 5 long years.

Hope everyone has a better year with the pain and everything that comes with it.
It's going on four yrs living with this condition and every year it get worse.Is there any other meds we can take im currently on lyrica. My Pd think i might have crps type 2 from my injury and want to do nerve blocks in my neck,Im not going to get it.What esle is out there for people like us, any other alternatives. Hopefully all of us a get our life back,just keep the faith and keep praying.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
(female)

arlene212 HB User

I don't think anyone could have worse chronic pain than i do and have gradually got worse since june 28 1999.

I got a sore spot like a gland under my left arm,went to the doctor after xray,he said i had a spot on my left lung.told me i had smoked so long ,probably had cancer.i did not get a second opinion. He removed the benign spot,which was an old pneumonia scar.within 2 weeks,started having pains under left breast.went to another doctor that done ganglionectomies t-4 through t-8,and just about destroyed my life,as it was..

Now about 13 years later,i am pretty much disabled from all the pills etc that have really messed up my bowels..i have been to so many doctors and none of them know what to do with me.my stomach looks like i am 9 months pregnant and such a raw sore pressure under my left breast,it cuts my oxygen,and i am on oxygen..have to gasp to get my breath.i am 74 years old,and they just won't do anything to help me at all.they just want to give me pills.i have to take magnesia everyday or the pressure is so hard under my ribs,can hardly breathe..

I can't talk a bath or soak in a tub or i can't get out.i sponge bathe.i feel as though i have been burned internally and externally,and then sand paper rubbed over me.this never stops 24/7.these doctors here just want to push pills that don't help.i am on norco right now,as i need something.am allergic to too many other meds.

This is not all i have wrong,but if you know of any solution,please help me with info...i do have 152 titanium staples in my lung ,which i always thought the problem was,but docs say no.but then,i know when they don't want to mess with someone.please info!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
(male)

dimebagdarz18 HB User

I'm also suffering from radial nerve palsy today, i had my bone surgery two weeks ago because of just a simple arm wrestling, at first i was depressed because arm wrestling ruined my Christmas vacation, back to the topic, i'm also experiencing wrist drop and my doctor doesn't see any improvement for two week, but i'm still worried, i hope my nerve recovery will work fine, you guys are not alone, thank you for reading this..

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
(male)

radial nerve74 HB User

Dont let the doctor blow you off, see if you can sugery, any nerve blocks. Its best to try to get treated it in the first three months of not it might become permenant.And did the doc cause the nerve damange from the sugery. Ask as many question as you want and start doing your own research.Hope you get the right treatment.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Reply Reply