It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
(male)

currymonster HB User
Unhappy severe nerve pain please help

for the past 15 years or so my partner has sufferred with sever nerve pain all over her body.it never goes away.it has got gradually worse.she has had mri scans of brain and spine which were normal apart from a lipoma of the corpus callosum,emg which was normal.she was told that she had lupus because of a mildely raised ana but then another doctor told her it was not lupus.she also has constant urinary tract infections,bacterial vaginosis infections various gastrointestinal problems and she has lost over 3 stones inweight.she also complains of severe bone and joint pain.she has a central retinal vein occlusion in the right eye and she is completely blind in this eye and also cataracts and glaucoma in both eyes because of this she is only very partially sighted in the left eye.the drs can be very cruel and a couple have told her to pull herself together because they cant find any abnormal blood test results.as you can imagine she is extremely depressed but is reluctant to go back to the drs because of the cruel comments they make .i see her in pain every day and feel so useless i really wish i could help her but i dont know who to turn to for help.her quality of life now is so so poor.she has tried gabapentin,prednisolone(when they thought it was lupus),and every pain killer on the market but they dont help.iam desperate can anyone shine any light on this terrible condition for us.i dont know how long she can keep suffering like this.

The following user gives a hug of support to currymonster:
jisduit (12-08-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: severe nerve pain please help

I'm very sorry to hear of your partner's pain. Nerve pain can be extremely difficult to treat, especially when there are aggravating conditions. Add to that the callous attitudes of many in the medical profession, and it's no wonder people are so critical of the current state of medicine.

There are very few neurological pain syndromes that cause pain all over the body, but they should nonetheless be considered. Fibromyalgia (which used to be called regional sympathetic dystrophy) is perhaps the most common condition that can cause this, at it is known to be affected by the levels of active antibodies in one's system. For that matter, your partner should be evluated for MS and other systemic auto-immune disorders, many of which have definite neurological complications.

You may need to take your partner to a dedicated pain doctor in a pain clinic setting. These doctors understand that many neurological and other painful conditions often do not show up in laboratory tests. Many of these tests just are not sensitive enough to detect a cause for numerous painful and/or debilitating conditions.

Many medications are still available for your partner to try. Pregabalin, amitriptyline/nortriptyline, carbamazepine/oxcarbazepine, and several other serotonergic, dopaminergic, and anticholinergic meds may help, by themselves or in combination with others (including anti-seizure and anti-anxiety) meds, because they all affect the neurotransmitters responsible for transmitting pain signals.

Don't give up, but insist that your partner be treated symptomatically in the absence of any confirmatory lab tests or imaging. It is her right as a patient to have her pain addressed and treated effectively.

I wish you both my best.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymonster View Post
for the past 15 years or so my partner has sufferred with sever nerve pain all over her body.it never goes away.it has got gradually worse.she has had mri scans of brain and spine which were normal apart from a lipoma of the corpus callosum,emg which was normal.she was told that she had lupus because of a mildely raised ana but then another doctor told her it was not lupus.she also has constant urinary tract infections,bacterial vaginosis infections various gastrointestinal problems and she has lost over 3 stones inweight.she also complains of severe bone and joint pain.she has a central retinal vein occlusion in the right eye and she is completely blind in this eye and also cataracts and glaucoma in both eyes because of this she is only very partially sighted in the left eye.the drs can be very cruel and a couple have told her to pull herself together because they cant find any abnormal blood test results.as you can imagine she is extremely depressed but is reluctant to go back to the drs because of the cruel comments they make .i see her in pain every day and feel so useless i really wish i could help her but i dont know who to turn to for help.her quality of life now is so so poor.she has tried gabapentin,prednisolone(when they thought it was lupus),and every pain killer on the market but they dont help.iam desperate can anyone shine any light on this terrible condition for us.i dont know how long she can keep suffering like this.

The following user gives a hug of support to jverive:
currymonster (11-12-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to jverive For This Useful Post:
currymonster (11-12-2010)
Closed Thread