It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

sharper2004 HB User
Question I need advice with peripheral neuropathy pain

My neuropathy started 11 months ago and has progressed fairly rapidly. Both of my feet are affected from tip of toe to slightly above the ankle. Typical "sock" type periphreal neuropathy. Pain is now severe enough that wearing socks or shoes makes the pain unbearably worse. Does anyone know where to find really soft shoes other than slippers? Waiting for insurance to OK the electric implant thing..could take several months before the procedure can actually be done. In the meantime, I really need to find socks and shoes that don't make me hurt worse. Please help.....

Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: I need advise with periphreal neuropathy pain

Hi again Sharper 2004 - I don't know about socks, but as to shoes, you may find wearing shoes 1/2 size larger than your usual size is helpful, and also, putting gel insoles in your shoes may help. For sandal-type shoes, I like the Nike model that has a "comfort footbed" -- very soft. Hugs, Ruby

The following user gives a hug of support to Ruby8:
sharper2004 (12-02-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

sharper2004 HB User
Lightbulb Re: I need advise with periphreal neuropathy pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby8 View Post
Hi again Sharper 2004 - I don't know about socks, but as to shoes, you may find wearing shoes 1/2 size larger than your usual size is helpful, and also, putting gel insoles in your shoes may help. For sandal-type shoes, I like the Nike model that has a "comfort footbed" -- very soft. Hugs, Ruby
duh...don't know why I didn't even think about trying that! All I can think about is surrounding my poor feet with the softest thing possible and getting frustrated with doctors who don't have any answers.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User

Hi Sharper2004
I know exactly how you are feeling! And I really feel for you!
My neuro told me that it is so important that we never ever go barefoot.She also recommended Birkenstocks as they have a moulded footbed. I found that socks made for diabetics seem to help as they don't have seams to rub against our feet. You could also try those "spa socks" I have several pairs and love them as they are so soft. For the longest time the only thing I could tolerate for footwear were those "croc" type plastic shoes. Not very practical in the rain and snow however!
Ruby is so right when she says to try shoes 1/2 size larger. That is what I am doing now that acupuncture has turned down my SFN a little, also with a gel insole.
I had no success with any type of sneaker tho, as they are just too confining for my feet.
Also remember to inspect your feet everyday, as when there is numbness, we may have injuries and not know it.
Best wishes to you and hopefully you find some footwear that you can tolerate!
Daisy

The Following User Says Thank You to daisymaegrl For This Useful Post:
sharper2004 (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

marybailey HB Usermarybailey HB User

eek! i have REALLY sensitive feet. i've been wearing slippers inside and foam flipflops outdoors (yes, even in the winter), but now i have just ordered a pair of crocs rx clouds for $40. they should be here any day. i will tell you how they feel as soon as i try them out!

p.s. i can't wear sneakers either. waaaaaaaay to painfully confining. damn you sfn!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

sharper2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybailey View Post
eek! i have REALLY sensitive feet. i've been wearing slippers inside and foam flipflops outdoors (yes, even in the winter), but now i have just ordered a pair of crocs rx clouds for $40. they should be here any day. i will tell you how they feel as soon as i try them out!

p.s. i can't wear sneakers either. waaaaaaaay to painfully confining. damn you sfn!
please let me know how they are! I can't stand it! Even wearing socks is painful, but ya got to put somethin on yer feet to go out the door!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

marybailey HB Usermarybailey HB User

well, the crocsrx clouds came and i'm pretty disappointed. they are actually HARDER than normal crocs. i'm so confused. the rep on their phone line described them as being "much softer" than normal crocs. she should be fired and the shoes should be renamed. i think i'm going to order a pair of the lined crocs next. woe is me.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

sharper2004 HB User

Go check out FootSmart for women's shoes. I am considering ordering a pair of the kinda-like sandals...the back of the shoe looks like a regular shoe and the top is criss-crossed with an open toe (tips of my toes are sooooo sensitive to being confined). There are several different styles that are made with outer of suede rather than leather, plus padding at several places inside the shoe.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread