It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Question Living with neuropathy

I am new here and wondering about other's experiences.

My neuropathy started being taken seriously four years ago when I broke my leg due to rolling my ankle. I had so little feeling I reset the break and tried to walk away. Since then I am on several seizure medications, cymbalta, and under pain management as my condition progresses. I wear braces on both legs and have no reflexes in my knees, ankles, elbows or hands. Just recently I have been referred for another EMG as the neuropathy my hands is progressing.

I have been on disability for three years. I am turning 50 and wondering where this journey will lead me.

Last edited by tingles; 01-22-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: Living with neuropathy

Hi Tingles, Sorry to hear about your neuropathy and that it took so long for you to be taken seriously. I belong to a neuropathy support group, so I meet many people with neuropathy and am continually surprised at how individual each person's neuropathy condition is. Some people have neuropathy for years and are still quite mobile, while others end up in a wheel chair. Seems no one has a crystal ball to foresee the future of their condition. If there is a support group near you, I recommend joining one. In our group we all benefit from each other's knowledge of neuropathy and enjoy each others support. Best, Ruby

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
tingles (01-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Thumbs down Re: Living with neuropathy

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. Neuropathy seems to affect everyone differently. I'm much older than you and was feeling fine before I started to experience a swallowing problem. It was DX incorrectly a few times before, fortunately, I found the right Dr. In my case what is causing the Neutopathy is Monoclonal Gammapathy. Apparently an M-Protine that is producing antibodies that are destroying my nerve Myelin. But I have symptoms that others do not have: for example, irregular heart rates, chronic constipation, and my swallowing is still problematic, although much improved after Plasma Transfers. I sincerely hope you're able to get a handle on what's going on and find effective treatment very soon

All the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to awlright For This Useful Post:
tingles (02-17-2011)
Closed Thread