It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

marybailey HB Usermarybailey HB User
neurontin vs cymbalta

i was taking daily-
3600 mg neurontin
30 mg cymbalta
50 mg nortriptyline

still having nerve pain in my foot and pins/needles in my hands, my doctor upped my cymbalta to 60 mg/daily.
my hand pins/needles were masked COMPLETELY.
i was curious how well the cymbalta was working, so i tried decreasing my neurontin.
well, i am down to 1800 mg/daily of neurontin!!!
so, basically 60 mg cymbalta has been more effective than 1800 mg of neurontin!!!
my point is---GIVE CYMBALTA A TRY!!! i don't know if the combination with nortriptyline is required, as i have yet to try taking away the nortrip.
but i am really pleased with the amount of nerve pain an antidepressant can take away.
hope this helps someone

The Following User Says Thank You to marybailey For This Useful Post:
sconzette (11-19-2012)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
Re: neurontin vs cymbalta

I have found cymbalta to be a good tool for pain, pins and needles etc. I take it in combination with Lyrica. My doctor believes that you need both though to really make a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

shanrae HB User

I could use your input.

I am suffering from post surgical neuropathy. I am so tired of the pain. My neurologist has me on 3000mg of neurontin and hydrocodone 3 times a day. My pain is keeping me from living a normal life. I saw my family practice doctor last week and he added cymbalta to the mix. I took 30mg for a week and did not notice much of a difference. Two days ago I increased to 60mg and I have barely been able to stay awake. I am struggling to keep this up. How long did you take the cymbalta before you noticed a difference? I would love to give this a real shot.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

The side effect of not being able to stay awake should wear off after a few weeks. You may find it hard to get out of bed but once out of bed I can function pretty well. I believe the cymbalta takes about three or four weeks to really take effect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tingles For This Useful Post:
LadybugQ (08-10-2011), shanrae (02-28-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
(female)

LadybugQ HB User

Thanks for answering a question. My husband has been suffering with tingling/burning/twitching in his leg which has become unbearable. We think this is due to back surgery(May 2010), but didn't start showing up til 6 months ago (+/-). He is takes hydrocodone, which he rarely uses, Lyrica, Gabapentin, and some other muscle relaxer. He started 30 mg Cymbalta a week ago, to increase to 60 mg. Now all he does is sleep. That may be good as he doesn't notice the tingling, etc. He helped to read that drowsiness is a problem. Will repost this as a question on a new board.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

marybailey HB Usermarybailey HB User

it took me a good 3 weeks to see the effects of cymbalta. yes, it makes you sleepy. but i will take drowsiness over nerve pain any day. i have been on it over 6 months and the drowsiness has improved a lot. sorry for his pain. sounds like he needs a repeat mri and visit to neurologist

also, i am off neurontin and nortriptyline completely. 30 mg cymbalta daily has cut my pain down significantly. i'm thinking about adding lyrica to see if the combination can take even more away.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

LadybugQ HB User

My husband is in the same state of sleepiness as you. At least we found an answer as to the sleepiness. He's in his 2nd week of 30 mg of Cymbata.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
(female)

Pain in NH HB UserPain in NH HB User
Thumbs up Re: neurontin vs cymbalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybailey View Post
i was taking daily-
3600 mg neurontin
30 mg cymbalta
50 mg nortriptyline

still having nerve pain in my foot and pins/needles in my hands, my doctor upped my cymbalta to 60 mg/daily.
my hand pins/needles were masked COMPLETELY.
i was curious how well the cymbalta was working, so i tried decreasing my neurontin.
well, i am down to 1800 mg/daily of neurontin!!!
so, basically 60 mg cymbalta has been more effective than 1800 mg of neurontin!!!
my point is---GIVE CYMBALTA A TRY!!! i don't know if the combination with nortriptyline is required, as i have yet to try taking away the nortrip.
but i am really pleased with the amount of nerve pain an antidepressant can take away.
hope this helps someone
I'm going to print this out to give to my new dr and hope that I can get a script for this Cymbalta. Past experience is they have been very unwilling to give me any meds that have any effect (going on 5 years). My Neurologist did just give me a script for Tramadol but only 30 pills and no refill. It helps only if I take it before I do much walking etc. but... does nothing to chase the pain once I'm at 7-10 pain level.
Thanks for posting the info. Hoping you have continued decrease in the pain

Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

This is very interesting to hear that by taking Cymbalta some have been able to reduce or completely stop taking Neurontin. I'm on 3600mg of Neurontin....I tried Lyrica w/o any luck so went back on Neurontin. I'm going to keep watching this thread and MIGHT talk w/my doctor about Cymbalta.

Thanks to all who have posted.
J

Closed Thread