It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
(male)

aintnorock HB User
Neuropathy worse at night

I have type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, and a transplanted kidney. My neuropothy (in my feet) always seems worse at night and the pain keeps me awake. During the day it rarely bothers me. Any suggestions?

PS - I take Lyrica - 1-2 a day that helps some. but since I'm supposed to take it at bedtime, it doesn't help because my feet already hurt. Maybe I should start taking it at dinner time>

Last edited by aintnorock; 04-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
(male)

benmon HB User
Re: Neuropathy worse at night

Hello, My name is Ian from Manchester England. I have the same problem it is called:RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME Were u have pains,pins and needles muscle spasms etc in your legs and feet. It only happens at night when your body is in the relaxed state. The medication I take from mt doctor is:
ORAMORPH (MILD LIQUID MORPHINE) USED FOR PAIN this cures my legs!
RITIGOTINE PATCHES 1mg - 3mg every day, that cures it
ROPINEROL TABLETS is a cure
MIRAPIXINE TABLETS is a cure
All these are Dopimine based, ask your doctor to perscribe any of the above and I guarantee this will cure your problem it has mine. Good luck, I know how painful it is.
Ian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

aintnorock...My husband has PN very badly in his feet to the point of being numb and like you, it seems to be worse at night. He takes Tylenol/Codiene and has now been taking it about 10 p.m. as he doesn't go to bed till after midnight. Trying to take it just before bed kept him up till after 3 a.m. Try taking it a couple of hrs. before bed to see if it helps.

Wishing you luck...JJ....

Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
(male)

aintnorock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
aintnorock...My husband has PN very badly in his feet to the point of being numb and like you, it seems to be worse at night. He takes Tylenol/Codiene and has now been taking it about 10 p.m. as he doesn't go to bed till after midnight. Trying to take it just before bed kept him up till after 3 a.m. Try taking it a couple of hrs. before bed to see if it helps.

Wishing you luck...JJ....
Yup, that happens to me, too. It's 12:17, and I just took the Lyrica at 11. I can't take Codeine, because I'm already taking pain meds for a neck problem (and it doesn't seem to help the neuropathy.) I'm going to see the doc this week, and we'll have a talk.

thanks.
carl

Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yes PN is not as easy to control as some folks think. I really feel for you as I see what hubby goes through. I know years ago he took something else, think it was Darvocet (SP.?) but it didn't do much good. Hopefully the Dr. finds something for you to take so it will help.

Best of wishes...JJ....

Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
(male)

aintnorock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Yes PN is not as easy to control as some folks think. I really feel for you as I see what hubby goes through. I know years ago he took something else, think it was Darvocet (SP.?) but it didn't do much good. Hopefully the Dr. finds something for you to take so it will help.

Best of wishes...JJ....
Darvocet is another pain med that I have taken - it's a little stronger than Vicodin, not as strong as morphine. It doesn't help, either.

My feet were hurting about noon today, so I took a Lyrica then, and now at 9:30, my feet don't hurt too bad.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hubby I don't think had luck with it either, plus if I'm not mistaken it has gotten bad publicity. Either it is off the market or has a warning on it?

I'm glad the stuff your taking is at least helping. I know hubby never really has NO pain, it just gets tolerable.

Good luck and well wishes...JJ...

Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
(male)

aintnorock HB User

Darvocet was taken off the market in November - I just looked it up. I didn't know that, because I took some last year.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OK, I thought I saw some ad that said it was either off the market or not good to take. How is the PN doing lately? Hubby had a couple of bad days last week but think a lot had to do with the weather being so damp and raw. He is sleeping better and only taking the Tylenol with Codiene twice a day instead of 3. He wants to cut back on some of his meds, as like he said, sometimes too much is as bad as none. Side effects stink.

Hope your doing better...JJ...

Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
(male)

aintnorock HB User

I've been okay, till now. Hurts pretty bad. I've been taking 1 Lyrica at dinner, and 1 at bedtime.

If I took 2 tylenol/codeine a day, I'd be a zombie. that stuff just knocks me out.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Smile Re: Neuropathy worse at night

That's true for me too my friend. I try to stay away from meds. They can often become an unfortunate habit. I find that if I sleep in sitting up position so that my legs are raised a little, in a kind of L position it helps with the pain. It takes a little getting used to but it worked for me. I don't understand the biology of this but while watching TV and raising my legs I discovered that in about half hour or so my feet felt hurt much less. Now I always sleep in a sitting up position and it's not problem. It would help to get a recliner and place some full pillows underneath. Hey, we have to do what we can. The docs don't know it all. All the best, Awlright

The Following User Says Thank You to awlright For This Useful Post:
aintnorock (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well sometimes it feels like you take one med. and then you need another one to conteract the side effects, just one big vicious cycle.

Maybe your sitting position is letting more blood flow to the legs? Like you said, sometimes we the patient have to figure out what is best for us. Not everyones pain is the same, so guess we just have to do what is right for us. The recliner sounds like a real good idea so maybe you can find a good deal on one to help.

Like hubby said, they keep trying him on more and more meds and at times he feels worse, so he takes as little as possible but needs something to at least ease it up.

Have yourself a great holiday and all the best wishes..JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 04-23-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Closed Thread