It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Question EMG test today advice needed please!

Hi all please help,I had EMG test(in one leg) today the person who carried it out told me that I would only need the needle part done if there was a problem. So I had the shock thing done with little response so he done the needle bit which I hardly felt.
When it was over he told me my muscles were fine,however in the appointment letter it said the person who does the EMG does not give you results,so was he just saying it? Also he told me that I would get another appointment to see neurologist.
If all is ok then why can't I just get a letter sent out instead of wasting neuros time with appointment?
I'm now lying in bed with pain in the right leg and arm even though my arms not been tested.
Please any advice or experience in this would be so appreciated,am so confused.
With hope to a reply and thanks for reading
Jacq

Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: EMG test today advice needed please!

The 3 times I've had it done they did both legs and arms...and all time the Neurologists gave me the tests...if it was done by a tech they for SURE can not tell you the results...and esp if your arms and legs hurt they for sure might be issues which you will need to see a neurologist to find out...remember you can ALWAYS get a second opinion...hell, I personally had 4 different neurologists check me out.

Best of luck to you...try and stay positive.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
jacq42 (05-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

Hi thanks so much for replying the guy who tested me said he was a dr but he wasn't my neurologist or one of the other consultants I've seen before. My legs aching a little now with pins and needles in big toe and sole of foot.
Please may I ask what you felt whilst,during and after your test and who gave you your results?
I'm ever so grateful to you
Jacq

Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq42 View Post
Hi thanks so much for replying the guy who tested me said he was a dr but he wasn't my neurologist or one of the other consultants I've seen before. My legs aching a little now with pins and needles in big toe and sole of foot.
Please may I ask what you felt whilst,during and after your test and who gave you your results?
I'm ever so grateful to you
Jacq
I'm pretty much always have pain/ache in my feet up to mid calf...sometimes more then others ie if I walk more during my day( I work 7-4/5 M-F)...I just try and deal w/it and know it could be worse...I've tried different meds/mgs...and currently I take 1200mg of Gab x3 daily...helps a bit but still feel the pain/dead legs...my hands are starting to get worse....very crampy in the morning/hard to make a fist...then after a while easier to move but pins are still there...

During the test I could just feel the needle a bit....my wife was w/me and asked how it felt...told her when the needle is it and pulse went and I would twitch it was ok....when I didn't is when it hurt a bit but not much at all...I didn't think it was very painful as much a bothersome...after I felt like I always do...hurting and dealing....all 3 times I've had them my neurologist has given them to me and talked w/me about the results....my wife always gets copies of my medical records so we have all current records so that if we need we have and also if we see another doctor for my current or new issues we have to show them....which I think everyone should do.

I got this from someone on this forum....and try and live it everyday...

"We all have to make choices. Either we can sit around and have a "pity party" everyday or we can paint on a happy face, pull up our bootstraps, and do something--anything--to take our mind away from the agony. Most of the time, I choose to paint on that smile because my family and friends do not want to see me in pain. Our loved ones cannot do anything but encourage us, love us for who we are now and not what they wish we could be, and be understanding when we are unable to "keep up.” I try to stay positive in my daily thinking. If I get in a rut, I kick-start my brain and say, "knock it off!” I pull weeds in my garden or I take a nap…anything to stay focused and engaged. Remember, you are responsible for your own happiness. Smile, even if it hurts. "

hope some of this helps.
J

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

Once again thank you so much for your time and detailed replies.
You've really answered everything I wanted to know
Best of health to you
Jacq

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Jacq...I hope your test goes well and you find out answers to all you need to know

Hugs
J

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: RisingParrot
diane1940 (05-23-2011), jacq42 (05-23-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
(female)

Aviatrix36440 HB User

I'm kind of surprised that they only gave you the NCS portion. Your motor (for the muscles) can be totally fubar'd, and won't show on the NCS portion! Normally a Tech does the sensory testing for surface time response, and the Neurologist does the EMG portion. I know for all of mine, that has been the case. Thanks to that too, I usually (like last week) get the Cliff notes version of what the findings were. Testing of sensory and motor nerves go hand in hand for a full picture - at least that has been my findings for me.

Closed Thread