It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
(male)

lvp714 HB User
Question Pn pain driving me crazy !!!!

I was diagnosed with severe sensori-motor peripheral Neuropathy in August 2010. I had started complaining about leg and foot pain since 2006 and to make my nightmare short, I had a total knee replacement in November 2008 on my right knee. Then after that didn't help with my pain in I had a total knee replacement done for my left knee in January 2010. After having all that done along with Physical Therapy I was told by my Orthopedic Surgeon that I shouldn't be in pain and that I need to go and just take my time, live my life and I'll be fine. Well the pain I was experiencing in my legs and numbing in my feet caused me to seek a second opinion, at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. The doctor I saw gave me an examination and performed a EMG which confirmed that I had severe PN for the last several years and that the damage that had been done can not be repaired and that it it's unfortunate that my Doctors had missed this disease. He also told me to see a Neurologist as soon as possible and was put on Gabapentin.
So as of August 2010 I have been taking 600 mgs of Gabapenten, that helped for a few months for my feet numbing, but the pain increased. I am now taking 800 mgs 3 times a day of Gabapenten that helps somewhat but can't walk without pain. I also have pins and tingling in both arms and hands and shooting pain in thighs. My Doctor just added Zonegran I have to take 25 mgs 2 times a day then after 5 days increase 50 mgs a day every 5 days until I reach 200 mgs a day. I'm on day 10 and having very bad side effects but can't stop until I see doctor and I'm really tired of trying these stupid meds that cause more problems and don't help the pain, why don't the Doctors prescribe pain meds that I have been reading about that really help people with pain. My quality of life SUCKS I can't bend down with my knees or walk my dog. The state has listed and sends me a monthly SSDI check for being disabled. I'm only 54 years old and would like to get out of my recliner and play with with my grand kids and also I would like to be somewhat pain free in August to celebrate my 30 year marriage.
Please if anyone has any suggestions on what combination of meds that could help,please post. I'm really starting to lose it.

Last edited by lvp714; 06-02-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: Pn pain driving me crazy !!!!

Hi Ivp714 - I am so sorry to hear of your pain and diminished quality of life. I don't have a magic wand to wave, but do suggest you see a pain managment doctor as there are so many meds and med combos that can help with neuropathic pain. I haven't heard of Zonergran, but I did notice you didn't mention taking either Cymbalta or a tricylic antidepessant. These can help a lot for neuropathic pain (unrelated to depression). Perhaps starting the Zonergran contributed to your sense of starting to lose it. It may not be the right med for you, and I would check out any med thoroughly on the web. Do search out a pain doctor or neurologist who is knowledgable and will take the time to work with you to find pain relief. Also there is something called a TENS unit that some people find as a better alternative to taking drugs for the pain. At our neuropathy support group meetings, we begin each meeting with about 5 minutes of silent breathing meditation, and several of our members report using this technique at home, especially at night, to relieve pain. Wish I could help more. Hugs to you, Ruby

The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby8 For This Useful Post:
lvp714 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
(male)

ncobjim HB User

Diagnosed with P/N in 2008. Had bad pins & needle pain in both feet. Neuro put me on Pamelor an anti-depressant. It has really helped. Also have a bad back and it has made that much better. Took me 2 years before i found the right med that worked.

Hope you feel better soon. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ncobjim For This Useful Post:
lvp714 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

lvp...do NOT give up. You deserve to live your life and enjoy it. Keep looking for an answer...don't always take the first or second opinion.

Try and stay positive, know your quality of life is damn important.

Hope you find the answer.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
lvp714 (06-02-2011)
Closed Thread

Tags
peripheral neuropathy