HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Neuropathy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/)
-   -   Knee pain and neuropathy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuropathy/855310-knee-pain-neuropathy.html)

lvp714 06-20-2011 07:08 PM

Knee pain and neuropathy

I'm having a hard time getting my pain issues across to my doctors. I have peripheral neuropathy pain in my feet and constant pain in both knees. My neurologist will only deal with my neuropathy pain in calf and feet, and was told the pain in my knee is not caused from my neuropathy.In the begining when I complained about problems wih my legs and feet I was told by doctor that I needed knee replacements so I'd could waslk correctly and that would help stop the pain problem. I had both knees replaced 1 in 2008 and the other 2010 and it was after that when the pain started to really bother me, with my feet going numb to feel like they were frozen and also I was dealing with severe pain in both knees. Now with my feet in pain and still having knee pain I had to get an answer. I went to neurologist and had an EMG that showed I had severe peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs and feet also in arms along with carpiltunnel. When I asked my neurologist about my knee pain I was told it wasn't caused from the neuropathy. I was prescribed gabapentin that helped somewhat with my feet but not with knee pain. Went back to doc. about the constant pain in knees I was given tramadol to take along with the gabapentin. I tried that for about 2 months and was told to stop the tramadol. When I went back to doctor and asked to try something else for constant pain I was put zonegran. After 10 days I experienced bad side effects and called doctor and was told to stop right away and was told to call back in a couple of days to let her know if the side effects had stopped. I did call back and asked what more could be done and was told she would get back to me in couple of days and it's been 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Today I called my PC looking to get a referral to go to a pain management clinic but end of day no call back yet. I'm really upset with this pain problem that I've had for several years and confused about my neurologist telling me my knee pain is a different issue not due to neuropathy. In the beginning after my second total knee replacement I went to my orthopedic surgeon about my pain with knees and was told after x-rays everything looked great and any pain I had will go away with time. I was hoping the pain issues in my feet would go away because I was told after knee surgery I would be able to walk better but no damn way. I couldn't walk due feet pain but with taking gabapentin it helped for my feet not my knee pain, so I can walk a little and have good balance but due to severe pain with knees I get tired sooner and I have times when I'm scared that I can't make back into my house by just going out in my back yard. When I sit down I have bad pain trying to get up due to knee pain and I don't want to spend this summer in my house just sitting around. Also I can't bend my knees to kneel down and when I want to get down I have lay on the ground and use my arms to push myself up. I'm hoping that my doctor calls me back tomorrow with some hope that maybe a pain clinic can help. I'm so upset and trying to stay positive but not sure with my doctors also the when I went to see my PC last month for blood pressure check and med refill he found out I now have Medicare insurance due to being found disabled by the state and he said to me I see you pulled it off and got disability. It really didn't hit me until latter that I understood what he said to me and now I'm curious to what he meant by that. I will find out when he calls back but man I'm getting very upset just writing this down and I have to stop now. Thanks to anyone listening, I won't let this get to me. There has to be hope for us with pain problems in this day and age right???? Getting real tired of waiting!!!!!

captinsane1 06-21-2011 03:22 PM

Re: Knee pain and neuropathy

I'm upset just reading your post. Whoever said I see you pulled it off should not even have a license to practice. I would be calling that office 3 times a day to get a referral to pain mgt. If you're in that much pain and all you can get is tramadol then you really do need to get referred to pain mgt. PERIOD.

issabelle 06-28-2011 10:38 AM

hi i also get terrible knee pain from the pn i know how you feel its difficult to kneel down and getting up is just as hard too , im taking lyrica for pain and my doctor wants me to go back every 4 weeks to have pain revewed , im hoping these tablets .

RisingParrot 06-28-2011 01:38 PM

My knees are starting to be an issue w/me too. My PN is mostly from my toes to mid calf and fingertips to wrist(hands aren't as bad as feet yet) and getting up and down is VERY hard for me. I need something to pull up on to help me get up ie chair/couch ect.

I'm overdue seeing my Neurologist due to just tired of hearing that there isn't anything more I can do. But I think my PN is just working its way up my legs. Thankfully it isn't all the time and hoping it doesn't get that way.

Best of luck to you.
J

WorkingDad 07-03-2011 04:24 AM

It is very dissapointing to hear such negative/bitter comments from our physician's. Hang in there gang and let's just try to take this one day at a time.

RisingParrot 07-05-2011 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=WorkingDad;4791506]It is very dissapointing to hear such negative/bitter comments from our physician's. Hang in there gang and let's just try to take this one day at a time.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree....if my Neurlogist tell me "I can't treat you until we know why you have PN" one more time I'm going to scream.

I've had many many different tests...and ok I get that you can't find a cause but at this point I'm guessing you won't find the cause...just tell me that and i can try and accept my fate.

Hope everyone has the best day we can.
J