It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

issabelle HB User
balance problems

does anyone have problems with balance im sooooooo woried about this its caused me a great deal of anxiety today im ok most of the time but when ive gone out shopping after a while i start to have to think about walking and it doesnt feel right i shouldnt have to think about walking my doctor said its because my leg nerves are damaged and they dont send signals to my brain this scared me more , i get days were my balance is crap too. i also feel like i need something to hold on to .

The following user gives a hug of support to issabelle:
RisingParrot (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User
Re: balance problems

Yes, since I got diagnosed w/PN my balance is awful. I've fallen a few times when I first got PN but since them I'm extra careful. I use a walking stick when we are out both for myself and let others know I have walking issues. Kath also got me a shower chair which REALLY helps when taking a shower(I had a bad fall before I got one).

Just means you have to be extra careful when walking.

Have you talked w/your doctor about your issues?

Best of luck to you and hope your Tuesday is a good one.
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
(female)

issabelle HB User

hi yes i have spoke to my doctor he doesnt say much , am on a trial of lyrica at present helps with pain but thats about it i am due to go back in two wks so will have plenty of questions with me to ask him ive wrote them all down after all im only 43 and i want to know everything. thanks for replying ive felt very alone these past few months.

The following user gives a hug of support to issabelle:
Ihate2w8 (07-06-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

You are NOT alone. I'm 42 and have had PN since 07. Even when the Neurontin is working great it only helps the pain some, I've always got balance issues. Be extra careful on stairs....I find them very difficult.

You can always ask questions here...may are in our boat and there is a LOT of information to be found here.

I hope you have a great day.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
issabelle (06-30-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Wink Re: balance problems

Issabelle, don't let it get you down. Some days I feel so out of balance it also scares me too. However, I use a cane and after a few months I've become quite good at keeping myself steady. Then on some days I don't really need it at all, but I take it anyway since for us things can change very quickly. It's really all part of the PN. A walking stick or cane whatever you call it is a great idea. It helps with the balance and as RP stated it lets others know you're not as steady on your feet as they are. I have found that most people tend to be very considerate when they see you using a cane. Balance is a real issue and you don't want to fall. All the best of luck. awlright.

The Following User Says Thank You to awlright For This Useful Post:
issabelle (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlright View Post
Issabelle, don't let it get you down. Some days I feel so out of balance it also scares me too. However, I use a cane and after a few months I've become quite good at keeping myself steady. Then on some days I don't really need it at all, but I take it anyway since for us things can change very quickly. It's really all part of the PN. A walking stick or cane whatever you call it is a great idea. It helps with the balance and as RP stated it lets others know you're not as steady on your feet as they are. I have found that most people tend to be very considerate when they see you using a cane. Balance is a real issue and you don't want to fall. All the best of luck. awlright.
I agree totally w/awlright...do NOT let it get you down...we can NOT let PN run our lives. We must try and live the best we can and deserve to do just that.

When using my walking stick I've had many people that might not have been so nice go out of their way to help me...for example by just giving me more room to opening doors and even giving up their seat when there are no others available.

I just take it one day at a time and try and make the next day better.
J

The Following User Says Thank You to RisingParrot For This Useful Post:
issabelle (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

I feel unsteady on my feet much of the time. The neurologist claims it's b/c I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet b/c placing full weight on my toes or the ball of my feet hurt so I've learned to compensate for it.

Anyway, I think I disagree with him b/c it's not always when I'm walking that I'm unsteady. Getting up from a sitting position or just standing I feel off balance.

You're not alone & we're in the same age range, I'm 44.

Hugs to you.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihate2w8 View Post
I feel unsteady on my feet much of the time. The neurologist claims it's b/c I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet b/c placing full weight on my toes or the ball of my feet hurt so I've learned to compensate for it.

Anyway, I think I disagree with him b/c it's not always when I'm walking that I'm unsteady. Getting up from a sitting position or just standing I feel off balance.

You're not alone & we're in the same age range, I'm 44.

Hugs to you.
I'm the same way...just kind of unsteady. I'm 42 so we are about the same

I'm awful in the dark...we have nightlights to make sure I feel safe and get to where I need during the night.

I'm in Phx so don't worry about snow...do you deal w/it/how are you in it?

Kath and I took our Jeep up to the snow about 2yrs ago...walking on it was VERY difficult for me...and the stupid guy I was I didn't take my walking stick and since i wouldn't be in it long/the TJ was a bit away Kath helped me get through it...but next time will for sure use my stick.

J

Last edited by RisingParrot; 07-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

balance is impaired when the nerves aren't sending and receiving the proper signals to the muscles. I have balance problems too, but you can improve your balance by doing specific exercises to help retrain your muscles. I found a method taught by a man named Mike Ross online that has things you can do either standing or sitting to help your balance. It is very important to do as much as possible to reduce falls. Also physical therapy can help with balance issues.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel2 View Post
balance is impaired when the nerves aren't sending and receiving the proper signals to the muscles. I have balance problems too, but you can improve your balance by doing specific exercises to help retrain your muscles. I found a method taught by a man named Mike Ross online that has things you can do either standing or sitting to help your balance. It is very important to do as much as possible to reduce falls. Also physical therapy can help with balance issues.
I'm now VERY careful about making sure I don't fall. I took a bad fall in the shower a few years back and have since used a shower chair which really helps/makes me feel safe.

I've thought about PT but not sure they can do anything since I have no dexterity in my feet...I can't move my toes barely at all anymore.

I will for sure check out Mike Ross..thanks for the heads up.
J

Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I can tell you that physical therapy DEFINITELY helps. It will take some time, though. I wonder if anyone has tried acupuncture for neuropathy and if so, how successful was it; am just curious.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Wink Re: balance problems

Danabarb, I've tried it without success. However Yoga has been very beneficial. I've been doing a half an hour each morning and it's brought back a lot of strength, and a sense of wellbeing. I had done some of it when healthy and feel comfortable with the positions. That helps. And yes, my balance is much better. All best, Awlright.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I am happy that you have found something that works and hope it continues to be a success. Good luck!!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
I can tell you that physical therapy DEFINITELY helps. It will take some time, though. I wonder if anyone has tried acupuncture for neuropathy and if so, how successful was it; am just curious.
I'm happy to hear that therapy helps you. I'm curious as to what they do in physical therapy for nerve damage. Can you let me know?

Like everyone else here, I'm looking for relief as well!

Thank you!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihate2w8 View Post
I'm happy to hear that therapy helps you. I'm curious as to what they do in physical therapy for nerve damage. Can you let me know?
x2 esp. since I've thought about trying PT more then a few times.
J

Closed Thread