It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

dancing feet HB User
Question peripheral neuropathy in the neck

For over a month now, I have been experiencing a *****ling or pinching in the nape of my neck. It started happening infrequently during the course of the day. Gradually, it began happening more frequently. While it is not painful, it has become very annoying. I thought it might go away on its own but after a month of living with this, I don't think that's going to happen. I'm thinking of going to a neurosurgeon to have him take a look (X-rays). Has anyone here experienced this. If so, what course of action did you take?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Wink Re: peripheral neuropathy in the neck

Dancing Feet, I've had it for about a year now; sometimes it's a little better then again a bit worse. I accept it as part of the PN. I have a polyneuropathy so it's likely to hurt almost anywhere. Fortunately it's not too painful. Since pain and weakness are the name of this game, I just cannot let it prevent me from living my life. One can get so fucused on symptoms, so completely involved with one's condition that it's all one thinks about. Granted we should never stop doing our own research, but unless a symptom stops me from actually being able to function, I keep it in mind but go on about my life. One can also end up with a pile of meds that don't really help much. I don't treat something unless I absolutely have to for the simple reason that once you start treating (and doctors will oblige) you have to deal with side effects, which often turn out worse than the condition you're treating. Medical science is limited in what it knows, but doctors never limit what you want them to treat. Please do not take my remarks as criticism; I'm right in the middle of all this with everyone else here. I'm merely offering a point of view. Treat only when it's absolutely necessary. Don't let PN take over your life. Mine became life treatening in preventing me from swallowing and I had to treat, and of course I still do receive treatment, but for the minor aches and pains I try to deal with them myself. All the best, awlright

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

dancing feet HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy in the neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlright View Post
Dancing Feet, I've had it for about a year now; sometimes it's a little better then again a bit worse. I accept it as part of the PN. I have a polyneuropathy so it's likely to hurt almost anywhere. Fortunately it's not too painful. Since pain and weakness are the name of this game, I just cannot let it prevent me from living my life. One can get so fucused on symptoms, so completely involved with one's condition that it's all one thinks about. Granted we should never stop doing our own research, but unless a symptom stops me from actually being able to function, I keep it in mind but go on about my life. One can also end up with a pile of meds that don't really help much. I don't treat something unless I absolutely have to for the simple reason that once you start treating (and doctors will oblige) you have to deal with side effects, which often turn out worse than the condition you're treating. Medical science is limited in what it knows, but doctors never limit what you want them to treat. Please do not take my remarks as criticism; I'm right in the middle of all this with everyone else here. I'm merely offering a point of view. Treat only when it's absolutely necessary. Don't let PN take over your life. Mine became life treatening in preventing me from swallowing and I had to treat, and of course I still do receive treatment, but for the minor aches and pains I try to deal with them myself. All the best, awlright
Thanks for your input. I hate taking meds and avoid it at all costs. I became concerned when I read on the internet that this symptom can mask other conditions (i.e. circulatory and heart problems). I will bear with it as I have learned to bear with other age-related conditions such as arthritis; that is, as you said, unless it becomes debilitating. Thanks, again.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User
Wink Re: peripheral neuropathy in the neck

By all means Dancing Feet it's essential to be sure we're doing those things that keep our hearts healthy, so if you have any doubts then that's something else again. I cannot exercise as I used to, but I can stretch and do add Yoga exercises to my morning workout for at least half hour or more. It's tough getting up off the floor but I know it's important so I struggle with it. Diet wise I stay off fats, red meat and try to eat fish when I can. I do take fish oil pills and get as many vegies as I can. (I do try to get some low kind of dessert, sometimes chocolate; we do need a break now and then) Then comes the biggie: stress. I avoid that like the plague because I know that for us that's a real no, no. Nothing will sap our strength faster and bring on pain and depression than stress and anxiety. I'm kind to the world because I know it needs it as much as I do and it responds to my possitive approach. There I must admit, happily, that my wife is my guide. She just will not respond to my negative side. Rather she makes me face it. In many ways I guess I'm truly lucky. Stay well my friend.

Closed Thread