It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

MichG HB UserMichG HB User
Cayenne Pepper and PN

Read an interesting article that I would like to share

Cayenne Pepper & Peripheral Neuropathy

Overview

In some cases, cayenne products may ease a few of the symptoms, but alternative remedies are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Cayenne products are not for everyone; ask your doctor before using them to treat your symptoms.

Cayenne's Active Ingredient

Cayenne, a plant in the Capsicum family of pepper plants, is a hot fruit that contains capsaicin, a constituent with hyperemic properties, meaning it increases blood flow to areas of the body. Capsaicin may be responsible for the herb's pain-blocking ability as well.

Potential Benefits

Capsaicin, when applied topically to extremities affected by peripheral neuropathy, causes surface irritation and may block the transmission of pain signals from the nerve endings to the brain. The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that cayenne pepper products may alleviate the pain of peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes, but if neuropathy is the result of HIV, cayenne is unlikely to offer relief. It is unknown whether cayenne products alleviate the pain of peripheral neuropathy that stems from other causes.

Application

Apply capsaicin cream directly on the affected limb, up to four times per day, UMMC suggests. The effects of cayenne are cumulative, and it may take several applications over a period of days to reduce the discomfort.

Precautions

Wash your hands immediately after applying cayenne creams, using vinegar to remove the substance from your fingers completely. Overuse may result in hypersensitivity to capsaicin. The "PDR for Herbal Medicines" reports that, in rare cases, capsaicin can cause contact dermatitis. Do not apply the cream to skin with open sores.

Never use creams containing cayenne on infants or small children younger than 2 years of age, due to a risk of severe respiratory distress and even death. Contact a doctor for application instructions for older children

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User
Re: Cayenne Pepper and PN

I've been diagnosed with SFN in my feet. In addition to Lyrica & Cymbalta, I also use topical Capzasin. This helps tremendously!

As the article stated, it's difficult to remove from your hands but I found one that has a sponge tip so you don't have to use your hands to apply it at all.

Works wonders & I highly recommend giving it a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ihate2w8 For This Useful Post:
MichG (07-11-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

How often do you apply the capsaicin on your feet and how long before you noticed relief? I have nerve sensitivity in the ball of my foot following foot surgery over 3 years ago. I have tried everything and every type of doc you can think of and have found no relief for the annoying nerve problem in my foot that I feel 24/7.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
How often do you apply the capsaicin on your feet and how long before you noticed relief? I have nerve sensitivity in the ball of my foot following foot surgery over 3 years ago. I have tried everything and every type of doc you can think of and have found no relief for the annoying nerve problem in my foot that I feel 24/7.
I notice the relief within minutes of applying it. I use it once or twice a day. I believe you can use it up to 4 times a day.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
(male)

awlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB Userawlright HB User

MichG, great post when I'm ready to go in for treatment I'm usually in a lot of pain, that's the time for me to try Cayenne pepper application. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks a bunch. Awlright.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
(male)

thirdeye47 HB User

is this stuff available over the counter or can you get it from a doctor (I live in uk)

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

You can purchase capsaicin at any pharmacy in the us. I'm assuming it would be available in the uk also. There is also a product called zostrix which is a high potency capsaisin. You may even be able to order these products online.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dancinboots:
thirdeye47 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
(male)

thirdeye47 HB User

my friend orders medications from this site called young again and i have been told its really good. I will try to see if i can get it today failing that i will order online because most of the time its far cheaper for some reason to order from the states.

Closed Thread